WIP - New DM Map

(ordo) #1

It’s not quite finished yet, need to touch up the light, weapons etc…(and add diff light color somewhere)

still - my second attempt at a map

(Zombie13) #2

Hey man, thats quite an improvement, looking forward to seeing some more :slight_smile:

Zombie

(ordo) #3

Here is the finished product :slight_smile:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/6747/

(ordo) #4

http://www.pcgamemods.com/6755/

This is the second and final version of DM_Trenches. I was getting complaints about the FPS rate, so i fixed it, Thanks.

(denizsi) #5

sorry for judging bu simply looking at this single screenshot, what I’ll say will be completely based on this image, but isn’t it kinda blocky? I mean, what is it, quake1? again, no offense, really.

edit: what I’ve tried to say here was that the geometrical complexity of the map was too low to be a map for doom3, I never claimed anything else about it, be it visuals, or gameplay or whatever, what else could be blocky anyway? it has to be something pyshical and that is the architecture aspect. there was no pun nor offense intended above, it was simply meant to be this:
“your map could make use of some more complex geometrical features in architecture, at least you should since it’s, you know, doom3, not quake1 -which means it doesn’t have to be bad to recall a quake1 map, it’s just comparable in geometrical complexity level”
yeah, that is “what I mean for dummies”
enjoy

(ordo) #6

yes, it is clearly quake 1.

Idiot.

no offence.

(denizsi) #7

oh yeah

(Zombie13) #8

Hey guys you need to both chill out, ordo you shouldnt have remarked so harshly, or just ignored it, if it offended you, and denizsi, dont be a jerk when posting in these forums, thanks :slight_smile:

Zombir

(Wils) #9

Telling someone their map is ‘kinda blocky’ and comparing it to a Quake 1 map isn’t simple criticism, it’s an insult. If you can’t directly suggest something to improve or work on, it’s probably best not to comment.

(ordo) #10

absolute offence

Oh now it’s on…

I’d rather be a lame ass then a dumbass.

And i suppose that telling me to quit mapping is clever and offensive. Well it’s not. It means nothing coming from a…dumbass.

so…

either stop being a dumbass (if you can help it) or stop living.

Telling someone their map is ‘kinda blocky’ and comparing it to a Quake 1 map isn’t simple criticism, it’s an insult. If you can’t directly suggest something to improve or work on, it’s probably best not to comment.

Owned.

(JMW) #11

The bridges look way too thin in that picture. Almost like paper. I would thicken them up a bit…
From the screenshot it doesnt look bad for a second try. I think what denizsi was trying to say is that some of the architecture may remind him of Q1.
But with the D3 lighting, textures, and curves, it looks better than a Q1 map.

I havnt had a chance to play it yet…how big is it…Just this one room?

-JMW

(Zombie13) #12

Good that someone took notice :slight_smile:

Zombie

(denizsi) #13

hail to the king baby!

(Zombie13) #14

grow up… and please dont post anymore non-related stuff please.

Zombie

(denizsi) #15

you really should do something about those bridges, you know? and maybe make it darker, with cables and stuff hanging from the ceiling, that woulf fit the look imo

(K^2) #16

comparing it to a Quake 1 map isn’t simple criticism, it’s an insult.
You are saying it like visuals are everything. Q1 maps where pretty good. Yes, they where blocky, because the machines simply couldn’t handle anything better at the time, but that doesn’t mean they where bad maps. The layout of coridors, rooms, and items is much more important than flashy textures, dynamic lighting, and smooth curves on the surfaces which don’t effect the gameplay at all. People who don’t understand that are the reason why we hardly had any good games in the past decade or so.

(JohnM) #17

heya good attempt at doomage

runs kinda poorly on my machine, I just think there’s alot of features of Doom3 engine that require a new angle of attack, from previous mapping experiences.
remember what it was like the first time you opened up Q3 Radiant?? =)

I’m sure it will be a while before maps larger than DM_trenches make any real showing, good work and keep mappin’
m3z

(ordo) #18

edit - nevermind…

(JMW) #19

He already said he was sorry.
You are just filling this topic with garbage now.
Some other people have made comments on your map. Focus on that instead.

-JMW

www.jmwrightdesigns.com

(ordo) #20

now since we both are officialy offensive, considering your attack on me, I’ll just have to say “hey those bridges are f…g blocky, they look like s…t! is your brain blocky too by the way?”

Nice apology. Fine I’ll stop…