Why Splash Damage Needs to Listen to Players

(Dr_Plantboss) #1

[center]Splash Damage, the developers of Dirty Bomb, are notoriously bad at listening to their players. Oh sure, with the announcement of Summer Squash we can see that they are making efforts because “We want to make sure that this doesn’t happen again” - Shoe.
[spoiler]https://youtube.com/watch?v=aamgyYHUbLA[/spoiler]
But what about fixing your mistakes? Sure we’ll get 1 week of about a total ~30-40% reduction in cost, but… I feel players would rather have a permanent - but smaller - decrease in the Fragment cost, and in the Credit cost of high rarity cards.
Back to my original topic: Why SD should listen.
Dirty Bomb is mostly promoted by content creators, and most of those content creators are disappointed with this update. This causes these “promoters” to send a much more negative vibe about the game, along the lines of “Sure it’s fun, but it’s not as good as it used to be, and it’s probably not going to get better.” Other “promoters” have completely STOPPED making Dirty Bomb content, which reduces the chance of a gamer finding DB. And even if he does find out about Dirty Bomb, all he’s going to hear about it how bad Splash Damage is about making changes based upon community input.
[spoiler]https://youtube.com/watch?v=9uhhjOittpU
https://youtube.com/watch?v=oCVkBYNuFuk[/spoiler]
Cliff Terios explained this very well this this video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=wVj39i295Pk why he has stopped/slowed down making Dirty Bomb content. He just doesn’t have an incentive to play. So what did he say about Summer Squash? [url=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpM8Tm847tg”]https://youtube.com/watch?v=qpM8Tm847tg

Splash Damage needs to either make a permanent change to the parts of the game that are mostly disliked, and make those changes based upon community input. And I’m not just talking about crafting, either (although that is the most prominent issue). This is also talking about Casual matchmaking, Ranked mode, the various gamemodes… the list goes on and on.
I’m to end by saying: This game is definitely going downhill, but it’s not too late to stop before the cliff.

Please, respond how you would. Agree, disagree, like, or leave a comment but try to make it constructive.[/center]

(TheStrangerous) #2

Let’s just hope for the SDK and community servers to go live. Cause we, as the community can keep it alive with mods and fresh new custom maps.

Look at how BF2 with Battlelog project is alive, after all these years, look at W:ET with mods, that allow you for more advanced options menu.

Even if SD won’t be competent, the community support sure will.

(buffBook) #3

[quote=“TheStrangerous;198925”]Let’s just hope for the SDK and community servers to go live. Cause we, as the community can keep it alive with mods and fresh new custom maps.

Look at how BF2 with Battlelog project is alive, after all these years, look at W:ET with mods, that allow you for more advanced options menu.

Even if SD won’t be competent, the community support sure will.[/quote]

Look at Tribes Ascend they didnt release the public server nor SDK, killed the community and game. IDK if they’ve since released it but everything died. I really hope SD dont do the same thing. I can’t bitch too much about other things but this is a major one.

(Naonna) #4

Don’t complain. The video shows that they’re at least TRYING to be communicative.

I come from Valve’s grandparent of a game, TF2. As of late, the game self-banned players attempting to play their newly-forced and implemented competitive mode for two days before we even got a blog post saying ‘we fixed it’ - at the same time as the community has been in an uproar about the removal of pubs and the lack of information/warning before hand. - Among other things. tries not to rant further

Ahem.

Splash damage may not be perfect, but I do appreciate their efforts in trying to make their game better. Maybe the solutions don’t work at first, but as long as they’re working on it and make the effort to address the community’s problems, (in this case, optimization,) Then I see no reason to act as though they’re actively attempting to hurt their own game or aren’t doing enough. Keep in mind, a game run by a company such as Blizzard has a much larger team of developers.

Allowing the community to create content is both wise and scary for a developer. There’s the risk of exploits being found in the game, or worse, mild rant of building anger … you get idle/trade servers full of my little pony memes and ads being run at 4x the volume of your default gunfire volume!
… ‘-’ …

Alright, I’m gonna go calm down and deal with my depression now.
Back to my trash can I go.

Edit: That’s a ‘bin’ for those of you more European members.

(Herr_Hanz) #5

@Naonna im european. where is the rock that people live under that dont know that trash can = trash bin?

SDK is overrrated as far as i know, but i have limited experience with mods, so ill wait it out. but at the moment i prefer to wait for SD to fix things than for an SDK.

(blonk) #6

[quote=“Dr_Plantboss;31844”]
Please, respond how you would. Agree, disagree, like, or leave a comment but try to make it constructive.[/quote]

I think SD are possibly being a bit shortsighted putting out videos and kneeling to the community in this manner. I can’t think of many businesses where you could just put all of your plans on hold to just run around fixing bugs. I’m more afraid this is a quiet acknowledgement that the game is winding down, and I’d hate so much for that to happen. I don’t agree that they need to listen to the community, I think they need to define a roadmap and let us see more of what they are doing.

[quote=“TheStrangerous;198925”]Let’s just hope for the SDK and community servers to go live. Cause we, as the community can keep it alive with mods and fresh new custom maps.

Even if SD won’t be competent, the community support sure will.[/quote]

While modding and hosted servers can give a game a shot in the arm it kinda has to have a pretty strong following to really keep that flame going. I’m not too sure DB is there yet unfortunately.

This is very true, SD are already getting near constant abuse over stupid little things, opening up the game and providing tools, APIs and software gives a million other potentially buggy vectors that they would need to fix and manage.

It’s called a rubbish bin you jork