Why everone hates dome?

(Liberage) #1

At first i hated it too, due to the objectives requiring strong teamwork, but now i love it cause’ of the walljumps

(TheStrangerous) #2

Probably the first impressions. Dome wasn’t all that great in the first version (so much green and grey color filters, and maze like design).

Currently, the maps suffers from having too much wasted space. Plus, the first objective is EMP delivery, least favorite objective type in the community.

I personally love the map. Really love finding out new routes in complex maps, it’s very refreshing.

(henki000) #3

I have loved dome since beginning. I think trickjumps were even better in beta version and should be restored partly. I dont remember all the differences, but for example from start the left path trickjump before generator was a great impression. I have to disagree with TheStrangerous, maps dont suffer wasted space, conversely, there should be more alternative routes and eye candy. More random occurrence and strategy that supports different mercs abilities. Less two path maps and solo luck.

(Noblemight) #4

Dome is one of the primary reasons I have for disliking the map voting. I mean if you take this game seriously you know you can just load maps and learn every corner of the map. I prefer the map rotation be random or just make servers single map and people can just drift to whichever map they want to play. Also it breaks up the monotony of playing the same maps over and over till you stop playing db. I mean Dome is in the process of being reworked, but I don’t even know why it is being reworked cause I never saw the problem with the map. I mean the cited reason was “least played” map, and that seems like a problem with map voting more than the map itself.

(CO_Grit) #5

I love Dome but it has way too much unused space on the second point. Having to Atk/Def two different points is a great feature though.

(TheStrangerous) #6

Now I wonder how’s the progress in Dome being reworked.
Good thing they’re not abandoning unpopular maps. Hope to see Execution maps reworked into Stopwatch/Objective.

(Shenaynays) #7

i hated dome because of how easy of a map it was to win as attackers, in standard and ranked play, the map was just way too big to defend as a 5 v 5. Especially as defenders, unless you had someone dedicated to sticking their arse up the delivery / plant point you were 9/10 gonna have someone sneak around and complete the obj.

Whenever i played this map in ranked it usually comes down to which team’s proxy knows the most wall jumps

(ItsOro) #8

Basically Dome doesn’t look appealing to players and this includes my self, the colors are to plain simple and makes it abit depressing. Also I don’t really like the layout of the maps it’s self it feels like it’s to spread out which makes those intense fight not so intense as compare to underground and also chapel(intense cuz of the EV) I think they should remake and reskin dome.

(massE) #9

Dome is a map with a slightly different design philosophy to the other maps, so it is always going to feel a bit off to some players.

After the recent rework, we have seen the player sentiment improve a lot, and the % of matches on Dome increase to the point where it is on a similar level to many of the other maps

Dome will always be the one that is a little different to the others, and hopefully its a welcome change of pace every so often, even if it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

As for more edits, we are not currently planning on more design changes to Dome, as we’re fully committed to developing brand new maps right now! We are also looking at ways to improve some of the other existing maps at some point in the near to mid future, so keep that feedback rolling in!

(x3mytiz) #10

Removing the last stage tunnel was a big mistake :frowning:
And, speaking of sneaky delivering which you want to avoid, it’s still possible and now it’s more rewarding!
You trashed a good map. Congrats!

(blufflord) #11

@x3mytiz said:
Removing the last stage tunnel was a big mistake :frowning:
And, speaking of sneaky delivering which you want to avoid, it’s still possible and now it’s more rewarding!
You trashed a good map. Congrats!

And I could say the inverse of that, and it would be just as meaningless as what you said. The only thing that really matters is the data about old vs new ( how much more is it chosen, what percentage of time is the map progressed 1st obj etc). Sadly we don’t have access to any of that info

(Muddy Muddy Mud Nade) #12

I don’t really like the new Dome since it gives big advantages to defense on the first objective, in my opinion. The rest of it is fine, but the old Dome just felt like it had more choices when it came to EMP delivery. I can see why people like it more, though.

(ImSploosh) #13

@massE said:
Dome is a map with a slightly different design philosophy to the other maps, so it is always going to feel a bit off to some players.

After the recent rework, we have seen the player sentiment improve a lot, and the % of matches on Dome increase to the point where it is on a similar level to many of the other maps

Dome will always be the one that is a little different to the others, and hopefully its a welcome change of pace every so often, even if it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

As for more edits, we are not currently planning on more design changes to Dome, as we’re fully committed to developing brand new maps right now! We are also looking at ways to improve some of the other existing maps at some point in the near to mid future, so keep that feedback rolling in!

Gotta disagree with this. I’ve found maybe 2 or 3 people who actually like the changes to Dome. Everyone else is either indifferent or absolutely hate them. The map was great before, it offered a variety of ways to approach each objective, as well as a good amount of useful jumps and sightlines.

The first objective was fine as is, much better than this new one. It could have used some work, like opening up the center (with some jumps) so there’s a more direct route. Now Dome feels linear and boring. The 2nd objective thankfully stayed the same for the most part, but the 1st and 3rd are terrible.

I hate how the maps are heading in the direction of being, “pick one of 3 paths” and very few jumps, coupled with tons of invisible walls and random/useless debris blocking paths. This really takes the complexity and fun right out of them. It’s sad to hear that Dome won’t be worked on anymore. A revert of the changes would be great, but unlikely. It went from being the best map to some, to the worst map to essentially everyone.

As @TheStrangerous said, the map had and still has some wasted space. This space doesn’t need to be taken away, but rather capitalized on. I feel some more verticality (?) would do it wonders. Take away the invisible walls and open up the options more. For example, currently, on the first objective, after you open up the wall on the right side (as attackers), the inside of that warehouse could have become an incredible vantage point or an important area to control. However, it’s just a linear, L-shaped path. You can’t jump on anything in there, and there’s no openings anywhere other than the top near the turret to drop an airstrike or laser on.

I feel like Dome had and still has so much potential, but the changes never do it justice. Just like the blockout version of Dockyard, that was great. I loved the verticality and variety of jumps or positions you can take as defenders and attackers. There were so many great points about it. However, after release, we saw a much more dumbed down version with the removal of many jumps and introduction of invisible walls/debris. A lot of paths were taken away and we’re left with a more linear map with very few useful paths to the objectives. Makes me sad that the map changed completely. Sure the new maps are pretty and all, but just not much fun. I wish the space on these maps weren’t taken away just because they’re not the main fighting points.

(emjot) #14

Many people don’t realize how important and time consuming map design is.

Quality of DB’s maps design is on the highest level I’ve seen for some time where balance for 2 teams is very well planned.

For instance (taking into account 5v5-6v6 game play):

• camping will be punished
  • can’t stay in one spot for long time
  • you have to move forward and watch your back
  • each map gives you at least 2 way to rush the OBJ and enemies need to cover all of these routes well
  • some maps are merc-specific: skyhammer won’t be your first of choice on underground
  • cover; in case of quick retreat you can jump yourself out of danger BUT you cant hide for long

Big thumbs up for maps which fits the game design with 100% accuracy.

One thing I miss the most, taking jumps and long jumps are present in the game along with wall jumps - the spots we can actually use the potential for these jumps, more spots please so we can show off a bit.

As for Dome, I think this map is great, it’s much different from the others, but that’s the point. We always will have that feeling it’s a bit off while it’s just different and needs different strategy. I love OBJ for both side. People said old dome was better, but imo that’s just the way people got used to old one, and dont’ like changes (yeah, that’s the big problem with reintroducing anything - people just don’t like changes and are always skeptical ).

One thing I would like to see as mentioned earlier: less invisbile walls and more places to jump the hell out of them.

(GatoCommodore) #15

@Liberage said:
At first i hated it too, due to the objectives requiring strong teamwork, but now i love it cause’ of the walljumps

what wall jumps are you talking about here?

(Melinder) #16

The openness of objectives 1 and 2 is what lead to me hating the map. A similar complaint with the first section of Vault was made, and that saw some changes - though it’s still terrible.

(neverplayseriou) #17

Devs replying to a thread created back in july…

(kopyright) #18

@neverplayseriou said:
Devs replying to a thread created back in july…

Cheer up.