Why aren't we allowed to edit posts after a period of time?

(Dr_Plantboss) #1

I have made several post of these forums about merc ideas submissions, which are good things to change with reader input.

I can’t change anything after 2 weeks or so because it locks you out of editing, however.

I don’t really want this to me changed necessarily, but I would like to know why this is a thing.

Aren’t threads automatically locked after ‘x’ amount of inactivity too? Seems like the case on a lot of forums. If not, then yeah I agree and don’t know why they’d do that.

(Mc1412013) #3

@stayfreshshoe @Eox any reason for the one week lock

(TheStrangerous) #4

To prevent Streisand effect?

(Mc1412013) #5

@TheStrangerous said:

What??? Not understand i dont lol

(Dr_Plantboss) #6

@TheStrangerous said:

Please elaborate.

(TheStrangerous) #7

The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet. It is an example of psychological reactance, wherein once people are aware something is being kept from them, their motivation to access and spread the information is increased. Wikipedia.

(Dr_Plantboss) #8

@TheStrangerous said:
The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet. It is an example of psychological reactance, wherein once people are aware something is being kept from them, their motivation to access and spread the information is increased. Wikipedia.

So how would we create this effect by editing a post?

I can see it coming from the fact that we can’t edit after two weeks…

(TheStrangerous) #9

@Dr_Plantboss said:

@TheStrangerous said:

I dunno, maybe somebody said wrote something stupid, then after a while edits it, and decides to pretend he didn’t write this?

(GatoCommodore) #10

@TheStrangerous said:

@Dr_Plantboss said:

@TheStrangerous said:

I dunno, maybe somebody said wrote something stupid, then after a while edits it, and decides to pretend he didn’t write this?

this happens multiple times with newbies in this forum

i remembered it well
the guy tried to juke me while what i quote was still there