What the Consensus on Hunter?

(HadronZodiac) #21

@teflonlove said:

@HadronZodiac said:
I think if they changed his playstyle to a slightly longer ranged “redeye” i’d play him till I got arthritis and died!

Is your usage of past tense in the last part of the sentence intentional? :worried:

naw i just like past tense, why?

(Sorotia) #22

@STARRYSOCK said:

@Sorotia said:

@bgyoshi said:
Never seen a good Hunter and never will unless he changes

Bow spamming only works on people that run in straight lines and can’t aim, bow-aiming is too slow and loses to every sniper or mid to close range fight, primary is good but doesn’t have enough ammo, secondary is… a secondary, unique melee is worthless

Any class is unbeatably good in the hands of someone with ridiculous aim. Obviously I’ve seen top score Hunters but always in the hands of players that always top score anyway.

“High skill ceiling” is a code phrase for “extremely weak and requires strong aim to use effectively” in pretty much every situation, this one included.

I made a big list of changes when he came out, I stick by them even today. He’s bad, but could be useful some day.

Makes me wonder if we will see a good merc again, every since Javelin it feels like they’re making the new mercs underwhelming so the masses wont cry nerf the first time they’re killed by one. (Just look at Guardian, people were crying nerf before we even knew the stats)

Most of the comments I saw on Guardian were that she needed buffs though, besides a couple arty mains.
And well, she’s still a bit iffy in a competitive environment.

I’d much rather underwhelming than overwhelming though. Do you remember how horrible the first week with javelin was? Lol

No I don’t, because I didn’t think it was horrible…I adjusted and moved on. I didn’t cry nerf as soon as a merc was released because I got killed by a long cooldown ability. Yes there were nerfs needed…but like with Stoker they both were over-nerfed.

I didn’t cry nerf with Phantom…even was called a Phantom main because I wasn’t screaming OMG nerf. Now look at him…easier to see than ever. Another over-nerf because people can’t handle losing to something.

(Press E) #23

@Sorotia said:

No I don’t, because I didn’t think it was horrible…I adjusted and moved on. I didn’t cry nerf as soon as a merc was released because I got killed by a long cooldown ability. Yes there were nerfs needed…but like with Stoker they both were over-nerfed.

I didn’t cry nerf with Phantom…even was called a Phantom main because I wasn’t screaming OMG nerf. Now look at him…easier to see than ever. Another over-nerf because people can’t handle losing to something.

Don’t get angry with me, it’s fine to have opinions on how you want the game to play out. I’m not going to go into merc balance and whether or not they were overnerfed, but just understand not everyone feels the same way about abilities like the rocket launcher or cloak being in DB as they were.
And when the majority of a game’s community dislikes something, it’s understandable that they’re going to be vocal about it. Especially since SD doesn’t usually respond to anything besides “crying”.

Point being, just because you don’t share the same views on how DB should play out doesn’t mean everyone else is whiny and wrong. Javelin was nerfed because most people didn’t find her enjoyable to fight against. Maybe you did, and that’s fine, but it’s in SD’s best interest to follow what the majority of its players want, not what the minority wants. I have plenty of unpopular opinions too but you don’t see me calling everyone with other views “whiners” or whatever

(HadronZodiac) #24

@Sorotia said:

@STARRYSOCK said:

@Sorotia said:

@bgyoshi said:
Never seen a good Hunter and never will unless he changes

Bow spamming only works on people that run in straight lines and can’t aim, bow-aiming is too slow and loses to every sniper or mid to close range fight, primary is good but doesn’t have enough ammo, secondary is… a secondary, unique melee is worthless

Any class is unbeatably good in the hands of someone with ridiculous aim. Obviously I’ve seen top score Hunters but always in the hands of players that always top score anyway.

“High skill ceiling” is a code phrase for “extremely weak and requires strong aim to use effectively” in pretty much every situation, this one included.

I made a big list of changes when he came out, I stick by them even today. He’s bad, but could be useful some day.

Makes me wonder if we will see a good merc again, every since Javelin it feels like they’re making the new mercs underwhelming so the masses wont cry nerf the first time they’re killed by one. (Just look at Guardian, people were crying nerf before we even knew the stats)

Most of the comments I saw on Guardian were that she needed buffs though, besides a couple arty mains.
And well, she’s still a bit iffy in a competitive environment.

I’d much rather underwhelming than overwhelming though. Do you remember how horrible the first week with javelin was? Lol

Yup, people just can’t see things objectively. OMG I DIED BY AN ABILITY NERFFF, what they don’t realize is that that “ability” has a 30 second cooldown so stfu kid.

(Runeforce) #25

In the wording of the poll, you should be asking me what I think about Hunter, not what I think other people will think, I think. :slight_smile:

(hawkeyeguy99) #26

To step in here for a second, I love Hunter. He’s crazy fun and I think he’s really balanced and doesn’t need many if any changes. Yeah, he’s not as good as other snipers, but I like the challenge. I personally think his emp could be stronger, but he’s a decent asset to any team if the person can aim and account for target travel time. Maybe he could use a slight buff to make him more viable but I honestly don’t see the need for it right now. The poll is more just to see what other people think about him and I definitely got a good idea of how the community feels about the character.

(Runeforce) #27

@hawkeyeguy99 said:
The poll is more just to see what other people think about him and I definitely got a good idea of how the community feels about the character.

I get that, but that is not what you are asking. You should be asking what they think (i.e. ‘What is your oppinion about Hunter?’), not what they think other people think (i.e ‘What is the concensus on Hunter?’)

My pedantic point being, asking the question ‘What is the concensus on Hunter?’ only takes the correct meaning while you ask youself; it is what you want to know: what do other people think about Hunter? So you should ask them. Instead you asked yourself in public and there by asking the wrong question. Now you are not asking people what they think about Hunter, you are asking them what they think other people think about Hunter, which is not what you want.

(Sorotia) #28

@STARRYSOCK said:

@Sorotia said:

Don’t get angry with me, it’s fine to have opinions on how you want the game to play out. I’m not going to go into merc balance and whether or not they were overnerfed, but just understand not everyone feels the same way about abilities like the rocket launcher or cloak being in DB as they were.
And when the majority of a game’s community dislikes something, it’s understandable that they’re going to be vocal about it. Especially since SD doesn’t usually respond to anything besides “crying”.

Point being, just because you don’t share the same views on how DB should play out doesn’t mean everyone else is whiny and wrong. Javelin was nerfed because most people didn’t find her enjoyable to fight against. Maybe you did, and that’s fine, but it’s in SD’s best interest to follow what the majority of its players want, not what the minority wants. I have plenty of unpopular opinions too but you don’t see me calling everyone with other views “whiners” or whatever

And you wonder why the game is in such poor shape? They listen to the casual whiners…the losers who can’t adjust…they flat out appeal to the newbs and brush off vets.

Like a dozen different newb packages but nothing that would really appeal to vets but a new obsidian every few months.

I mean they killed the only game mode that actually had a little appeal to vets and was nothing more but free skins to the unachieving newbs who don’t even care about trying to get better.

Instead of balance they nerf things to hell or leave things broken that benefit newbs…liek shotguns and their spray and pray bunnyhopping stlye. They finally fix one Proxy bug and a even bigger one appears.

(Xenithos) #29

@hawkeyeguy99 said:
He’s exaclty what this game needed: a skill based merc who’s deadly in the right hands and sucks in the wrong ones. No explosives or cheap “hit e” kills, he’s entirely based on skill. DB needs 100% more Hunter type mercs and 100000000% less Javelins.
P.S. he has the best voice lines in the game.

I would far from saying it’s cheap, but he DOES take a considerable amount of skill… Here’s the problem, Hunter does what all the other snipers or roles do far worse. Phantom can sneak in his EMP and wreak havoc at close-medium range. Aimee has dominance at long range, and if you want a spammy sniper playstyle pick her up with the PDP or grandeur. Vassili is your “well balanced boi” and both Vassili and Aimee spot for FAR LONGER than Hunter does. Hunter’s little spot whenever he hits someone literally lasts like a second. It’s terrible. And I think spamming his ability wasn’t meant to be something…

Not to mention that his ulu is less preferable than the stiletto, even after the update that fixed it’s hitbox.

However, instant kill on 80 hp mercs with a charged chest shot? Instant full kill on a headshot on Thunder or lower? That’s pretty cool, if you can land your hit.

Overall he’s meh. He’s very useless when it comes to filling out a role well, and he has no bearing on the 5v5 competitive atmosphere of the game. Though admittedly he can be fun in clueless pubs where no one comes at you like they should. Also, your rage at Javelin is a little strange considering that in my eyes she’s NEARLY perfectly balanced. Anyone with great skill will use her extremely well, and there’s only so much her panzer really brings to the table in games where players are properly communicating and positioning. If you have no skill, she is still usable, not great. Not to mention that her rocket by itself isn’t perfect for taking down the EV, while every other fire support can handle that better than she can.

(Press E) #30

@Sorotia said:

And you wonder why the game is in such poor shape? They listen to the casual whiners…the losers who can’t adjust…they flat out appeal to the newbs and brush off vets.

Like a dozen different newb packages but nothing that would really appeal to vets but a new obsidian every few months.

I mean they killed the only game mode that actually had a little appeal to vets and was nothing more but free skins to the unachieving newbs who don’t even care about trying to get better.

Instead of balance they nerf things to hell or leave things broken that benefit newbs…liek shotguns and their spray and pray bunnyhopping stlye. They finally fix one Proxy bug and a even bigger one appears.

Not saying that DB is great or that the devs have been making the best decisions with regards to it. I’m saying feedback from new players is just as important, if not more, than veterans. I’m saying this as a DB veteran myself. Like I said, something can be fair but not enjoyable. If a new player doesn’t find the game fun, they likely won’t stick around, regardless of whether or not it’s balanced.

Besides, not all veterans want the same thing anyways. I’m not the only veteran who disliked Javelin on release. I’m not the only veteran who rarely played exe either.

Simply put, people play games for different reasons. Some people like a hardcore permadeath experience, other people like a more casual and fun-focused experience. Neither party is wrong, they just have different tastes. And I’ve seen those preferences shared by both veterans and new players alike.
Calling someone a loser for wanting to enjoy a game instead of sucking up something they dislike is just silly, especially since you’ve done a lot of complaining about DB as well instead of “just sucking it up and adjusting”, lol

TL;DR, again, not trying to be rude in any way, but please understand it’s alright to have different preferences on how you want DB to play out. People who disagree with you aren’t always noobs who don’t understand the game, and even then a new player’s view of the game is still important for the devs to consider. There is no one path to balance, the devs need to consider what everyone wants, not just one minority.

(Brycko) #31

I think the devs missed a huge opportunity with Hunter to encourage an anti-Phanton/anti-flanker playstyle with the halrious shortness of the duration of the spotting, and didn’t completely balance his crossbow. The projectile time makes things more difficult, sure, but the crossbows spamminess and lack of balance just sort of makes him cheesy, and not the nice high-skill playstyle experience that I had to learn to use him effectivetly that I was hoping for. He feels too static. I was hoping he would be DBs equivalent of Jackal from RS6, a character that punishes and hunts careless enemies, so I’m kinda disappointed at his missed potential.