What are some of your most/least favorite game genres?

(watsyurdeal) #1

Most Favorite

First Person Shooter - Doom, Quake, Bioshock (anything that favors speed and hipfire)
First Person Role Player - Skyrim (any Elder Scrolls game really)
First Person Looter - Destiny 2, Borderlands
First Person Stealth - Dishonored, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Far Cry 3
2D Platformer - Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World
2D Run and Gun - Megaman, Contra, Cuphead
2D Fighter - Street Fighter Third Strike, Mortal Kombat
2D Metroid Vania - Metroid, Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Least Favorite

First Person Tactical Shooter - Counter Strike, Call of Duty, anything with a TTK less than 0.5 seconds, too damn fast
3D Fighting Games - Mortal Kombat 4 and onward, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur is ok though…
MMO - I get so bored with these, so far Destiny is the closest I’ll ever get
Turn Based RPG - Pokemon is about as much as I will accept, and even then I get bored when the battles take 5 mins

(TheStrangerous) #2

Neutral:

Old School/Arcadey FPS - Dirty Bomb is an exception. I’ll explain my reasoning in TPS section. I have respect for them, just not really my cup of tea.
Simulators - I used to play The Sims, but grew outa it. Not my cup of tea.

Least Favorite:

Cover based shooters - No… JUST NO! Let me run and gun, dodge and take bullets like a badass, no hiding behind cover like a wimp, please.
RTS - It’s mentally exhausting
RPG - Looking at stat screens/crafting/progression is mentally exhausting, plus I prefer using my twitch reflexes skill, not stats to fight opponents.
Fighting games - Really? Only Virtua Fighter series had some proper tutorial, and the rest don’t care about encouragement, no to mention still dumb/cheating AI, after all these years of tech advancement…
Arena Shooter - I tried REALLY HARD to like it, but the weapon/item/powerup pickup complicates the meta too much, turning it into “FPRTS” genre…
Modern FPS - See cover based shooters.
Sandbox games - I grew out of them, they’re too diluted, they’re the “Jack of All Trades, Master of None” with various MEH gameplay mechanics.

Most Favorite

Pure Stealth Games - I enjoy playing hide and seek as nimble character. It’s like trolling your opponents, pure thrill and satisfaction.
Run and Gun TPS - Only Vanquish so far been a good TPS for the past… 2 console generations… WHY? And third person perspective helps me get immersed into character I’m playing as.
3D Platformers - I like the feel of discovering new stuff and areas, plus I love parkour mechanics and agile movement system.
Hack and Slash games - Only Bayonetta so far been a good HnS for the past… 2 console generations… WHY? I know there’s MGR, love the OST so much, but it feels too grounded, plus no dodge/guard button (I know the attack dodge combo, but it’s not enough).
Fist Person Hack and Slash - I like when FPS actually has melee weapons, like Shadow Warrior 2013, but I had coming trouble coming back to it, thanks to some improvements in SW2. Waiting for the middle ground in SW3, cause I didn’t like loot system.

(inscrutableShow) #3

Favorite:

Anything first person. RPGs, shooters, you name it.

Old 2D or 3D platformers. Mario. Nuff said.

Least Favorite:

Turn-Based or Real Time Strategy, particularly war or combat based. The slow pace gets boring fast, plus I suck at them. Civilization series is an exception, however.

Turn Based, D&D esque RPGs. I’m talking about Knights of the Old Republic. Great game, but the combat system is such a turnoff that it ruins the rest of the experience for me.

I’m not good with genres, but there are usually only a few I care about.

Favorite for multiplayer is a good ol’ FPS. Old CoD, UT, Halo, CS, Dirty Bomb, Battlefield, whatever.

For long-term playing, I like looters like Borderlands. Do they call these MMOFPS types?

Those 2 are about the only ones I play, but I do appreciate games with good stories like Bioshock and METRO. Anything with war history or a strange post-apocalyptic theme.

Vehicle combat games are fun. Old school Crash Team Racing, RAGE multiplayer, Rocket League, etc.

And I suppose I sort of like RPG because I played the Hell out of Fallout 3, Morrowind, and Oblivion. Lastly, I guess I like realistic war or survival squad games like ARMA, The Division, that new PUBG game looks cool, etc. Stuff like that.

For dislikes? Hmm. Anything else. I hate Indie games and anything with a hotbar like WoW, LoL, and Guild Wars. 3rd person usually bores me too. Regular racing games bore me unless it’s offroad. Card games suck. Simulator games like Sims stuff suck. Yep, can’t think of anything else now.

(TitaniumRapture) #5

@Wintergreen said:
For long-term playing, I like looters like Borderlands. Do they call these MMOFPS types?

MM stands for multiplayer massive and since you are stuck with 3 other guys… :smiley:

Huh you hate all indie games? You know that it is not a genre right? For example Rocket League is Indie. :stuck_out_tongue:

@TitaniumRapture said:

@Wintergreen said:

MM stands for multiplayer massive and since you are stuck with 3 other guys… :smiley:

Huh you hate all indie games? You know that it is not a genre right? For example Rocket League is Indie. :stuck_out_tongue:

So what’s the correct term for it? FPSRPG? I’m just gonna call it shoot and loot. B) And as I said, I’m terrible with genres because I don’t keep up with stuff haha. My brain sees Rocket League as just a car game so if it’s technically Indie then I guess I like that one. When I think of Indie, I’m referring to stuff like Angry Birds, Terraria, and maybe Torchlight to an extent. Like the time killer mobile games.

(TitaniumRapture) #7

@Wintergreen said:

So what’s the correct term for it? FPSRPG? I’m just gonna call it shoot and loot. B) And as I said, I’m terrible with genres because I don’t keep up with stuff haha. My brain sees Rocket League as just a car game so if it’s technically Indie then I guess I like that one. When I think of Indie, I’m referring to stuff like Angry Birds, Terraria, and maybe Torchlight to an extent. Like the time killer mobile games.

yeah shoot and loot or FPS with RPG elements. Real MMORPG is for example WoW where you can meet really a lot of ppl. :slight_smile:

Indie games (not only games) are about independent development. They dont have any big bad publisher (ubisoft, EA, bethesda, activision, warner bros etc) behind their back who says what they can or cannot to do. So they can be more creative and do the games more for fun.

@TitaniumRapture said:
Indie games (not only games) are about independent development. They dont have any big bad publisher (ubisoft, EA, bethesda, activision, warner bros etc) behind their back who says what they can or cannot to do.

Good to know! And yeah, the entire deal with publishers as the middleman in the gaming industry has become a joke this past decade or 2. I’ve never had any interest in getting into that stuff, but I’ve heard from guys in the field or who are going to school for development stuff that it’s an awful environment to work in. Nothing fun or leisurely about like you’d think it would be. That’s why I love id Software - or at least what they used to be. The story of how they all came together is awesome.

(hoyes) #9

Faced paced FPSs are my forte, games like Wolfenstein, Doom, Halo(used to play Halo 3, reach and CE remastered on my 360) , Lawbreakers :frowning: , even Battlefield, COD and sometimes R6: siege.

I am very on the fence with games like overwatch as while the characters and theme is quite enjoyable and fun, I really hate counterpick systems that completely ruin a hero and basically enable them to do little against that said hero(looking at you pharah,and for that matter pharmercy). I feel like a player should not ever be forced to pick a character which is less enjoyable to play than their current character in order to counter one hero on the other team. It may make the game more fun to watch, but not necessarily to play.

To that extent, I do not like mobas, and rts’ as they are too slow paced for my likings. Also I don’t like the click to move thing but that’s my two cents.

Single player games, I don’t even mind. A long time ago I used to play on the Wii and played this amazing RPG, Xenoblade Chronicles, that will, and I imagine, always will be.

(TheStrangerous) #10

Recently I found out I dislike Battle Royale games. Like CS:GO combined with GTA:Online combined with Diablo…

(Chilled Sanity) #11

Love;

Realistic Shooters: Arma 3 (Warcrime simulator, also I get to boss people around), Insurgency, Day of infamy (Because I’m a weap-a-boo and even if a gun model is not correct I will kill.)

JRPG : Final fantasy games ( I have a biased opinion because muh FF-13 (and FF 13-2…and …FF 13-3…))

RPG and Action games: Bayonetta ( Sup @GatoCommodore ) , The Witcher 3

Strategy games (Also RTS): Command And Conquer (RIP), Fire Emblem, Steerkreft (Because I love cheesing the enemy with retarded strategies and for fire emblems case, its fun)

Rhythm games; Osu and such dont really have any filters for that*
*(As long as I can plug a guitar in and play it I’ll take it)

Hack’n’slash: I will take any game as long as its fun (I love swords, I own swords, But cutting people down is illegal so I have to make do.)

Hate;

MMO— : Anything with a mass of fuckwits in one place is a shit game to me

MOBA: Such a fucking waste of time that its actually hilarious.

Retarded Shooter hybrids: Rainbow six, Battlefield and ETC. (Either make it Arcade or Make it Realistic)

Games with 10 hour TTK: Its a bullet not a fucking paintball, 2 of them should be enough to put your sorry ass down

Anime Games: Why. Why!. WHYYYYY!

Counter-Strike: Period.

Exceptions;

World of Warships: Because I’m a sucker for Ships and I’m too good at it so I get bragging rights

Call of Duty: Game is fun as long as you know what you’re getting yourself into

MGS5: Game’s pretty good

Metro Series: You cant hate Metro Series, go away

Stalker Series: A nuu cheeki breeki I’ve damke

Tales of — : Its a mix between anime and hack’n’slash, I dont know what to do :confused:

Fate Grand Order: Anime galore. Buuut…Phone games are Generally Shit, This’ll have to do since I cant carry my 3DS or Switch with me every day

Dead or Alive: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) (Thanks for reminding me @watsyurdeal, luv yu bby)

Edit:
Fixed punctuation mistakes

Added The Witcher 3

Added Dead or Alive

(FalC_16) #12

Actually my most played game of all time was any mod on half life 1 engine. Including counter strike 1.6 and earlier versions of CS.

Then the second one was Freelancer. Love space sims, they kind of extinct already. And thx to Roberts star citizen might never come out :confused: