Waypoints for Capuzzo Final!

(-SSF-Sage) #1

Hey

We got the Omnibot waypoints for the map Capuzzo Airport Final! Thank you lolroy for making them!

Install: Put these three files inside /omni-bot/et/nav in your server.

Link to download

(-SSF-Sage) #2

It is so awsome to see this project still being played frequently. To celebrate this I took the waypoints and fixed some essential bugs and added more randomness and variety! Here is the link to new waypoints:

(-SSF-Sage) #3

It is very nice to see this old map still being played! To celebrate this I updated the waypoints on this. Fixed a couple bugs and added more routes, variety and balances. Here is the download for the new waypoints:

(Ray Wolf) #4

Thanks for the update Sage. I’ll advertize it on my blog aswell.

(Nerwitz) #5

Oi oi bots just went upper grade. High school boits!

(Mateos) #6

What was the base of them? There’s already a version in the Omni-Bot repo for quite some months now ^^’

(-SSF-Sage) #7

Tbh I am not sure. I got the waypoints from ETS site, downloaded from the Capuzzo Final download link.

With this version the main issues were that Bots did not construct command post and they would not use the Gate at the first City. Maybe there are some other versions somewhere I am not sure of.

I learned a major lesson from this and I hope any new mapper would take a note. Learn Omnibot waypointing, make the waypoints for your map yourself for every release.

And I am saying this with great respect to any people working hard making awsome waypoints! I truly appreciate the work. But as a mapper you are the one who updates the map, and sometimes it is hard to notice the changes if you are not the one making them. All of the problems with waypoints come out after the map gets a new version.

(Mateos) #8

Yes, that issue has been fixed, and UJE Captain did some improvements over time on them meanwhile ^^’
The BUILD_Command_Post node was in the middle of the room instead of the front of the CP, IIRC because there were conflicting waypoints loaded from incomplete_navs and nav folders

You could also partner with a waypointer when your map is not released yet; I helped WuTangH for his latest map this way, waypoint were ready on release. This can as well help to test the map gameplay, even though the attack-defense would be organized by the waypointer here

For people out there willing to improve waypoints: you should contact palota over at OB forums to get write access to the official waypoint repository, so you can send you work there and check if there isn’t anything going already (I try from time to time to check websites for people uploading waypoints which aren’t in the repo)

(-SSF-Sage) #9

[QUOTE=Mateos;572903]Yes, that issue has been fixed, and UJE Captain did some improvements over time on them meanwhile ^^’
The BUILD_Command_Post node was in the middle of the room instead of the front of the CP, IIRC because there were conflicting waypoints loaded from incomplete_navs and nav folders

You could also partner with a waypointer when your map is not released yet; I helped WuTangH for his latest map this way, waypoint were ready on release. This can as well help to test the map gameplay, even though the attack-defense would be organized by the waypointer here

For people out there willing to improve waypoints: you should contact palota over at OB forums to get write access to the official waypoint repository, so you can send you work there and check if there isn’t anything going already (I try from time to time to check websites for people uploading waypoints which aren’t in the repo)[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much Mateos for your response! Too bad I was not aware of this. :frowning:

That also sounds a very good idea! I have thought it is getting hard to find anyone for help nowadays.

To be honest I think half of the problem we had was not knowing or caring about the waypoints. That is half of the lesson. As a mapper pay attention to waypoints, no matter if making yourself or getting someone to help you. Keep eye on them, test them and release them with you. If someone wants to change them, atleast they get a working foundation. Do not just ignore them, that is what happened with Capuzzo. 3 years after Final release servers were still running broken scripts.

But the problem was not only with final release, the map had several versions after first release 9 years ago. Only for half of the versions I know about complete waypoints. Maybe there were, but most servers did not have them.

One quarter of the lessong is the aid of having waypoints during development, as Mateos wisely pointed out. It is very useful and easy to test gameplay and scripting with omnibots. Then you atleast get some raw idea of how it is playing, before going through organising actual test. Also bots play major role in playing nowadays, only few servers have enough players to never have bots on. Because of that it is important for the waypoints to be the best you can have. Sadly there are still many nice maps that have no bot files or the bots are running around like headless chickens.

The best thing ever you can do and save the most time imaginably on script development. Especially if you need to fine tune some script elements on the end side of the map :

1. Add 1 attacking bot.
  2. Type console command /timescale 10
  3. Spectate your bot who is finishing your map VERY fast while you can sit back and relax.
  4. Put back /timescale 1 when it reaches the desired spot
  5. Continue yourself

Bonus part: add 20-30 bots. Put /timescale 5. See how the bots are playing and you do not need to spend hours and hours watching and waiting. See where the bots move fast and where they get stuck, then change these parts.

I am only trying to help anyone who is still around and try to avoid the pits we fell into on our long journey.