vplay animation idea.

(Dthy) #21

I’d only like vplays for taunting and *****s n’ gigs

(Maca) #22

I don’t have an opinion on animations that might effect gameplay. Could be cool.
But animations for taunts and celebration etc would be totally awesome. If making them require way too much work, then maybe concentrate on other things first, but they definitely should be added at some point. Actually, I think they would really work in making the game fun for new players.

(rookie1) #23

what if char could do —>:):D:wink::tongue::rolleyes:
or do strange funny walking

(Mustang) #24

//youtu.be/iV2ViNJFZC8

(RasteRayzeR) #25

They are not that bad at French actually, I’m impressed ^^

(rookie1) #26

ok forget the silly walk part :stuck_out_tongue:

(MrEd) #27

Things to bare in mind with animation designs for DB:

• General gameplay is fast
  • There are a lot of things being conveyed at any one time, e.g. movement direction, speed, acceleration, action state, etc

As such the time in which any one animation must take place and the fidelity it conveys is reduced. I think tactical games like Rainbow 6 and Hidden & Dangerous use the tactical gestures really well and I’d liken their pace to the sniper scenes in Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket. DB on the other hand is shaping up to be more like the napalm strike on the FOB in Platoon so the amount of time for tactical gesturing that takes away either movement or action response is probably slight.

I’m happy to be convinced otherwise however.

(iwound) #28

Im not personally after the hand gestures for tactical reasons in fights.
More of a wave gesture in open space, not under fire. a rally cry if you like.
A few simple waves, hello. lets go, forward sweep and a come here, under arm motion.
not too few as to be bland. people making videos for fun would love these as well. and er…
who am i kidding i have a very weak case.:frowning: i plead for mercy. cant it just be for fun.

(RasteRayzeR) #29

The idea is good globally, we just have to figure out a way to make a few gestures that actually spares us time in game => Shortcuts.

Only a few gestures from the tactical point of view, and some for the fun to be abused of in warmup or when the action is reduced (like running to an objective, it can often take 15 sec.)

(Patriotqube) #30

Somehow i think it could be marvelous to have a v99 giving the bird to someone ingame while shouting somthing amasingly disturbing :slight_smile:

But i cant really see its usefullness, also would hate having pressed the keys to show a teammate to follow me, and then an opponent shots at me while im pointing at somthing

(tokamak) #31

Animations during shootouts are pointless. But DB also has quiet points in which both teams lick their wounds for the next row. Then you want a gesture like ‘Hold this point’ (guy holding his arm into the air) or ‘Give me ammo’ and ‘give me health’ can be the same thing (guy quickly bring waving his arm towards himself in a ‘gimme’ fashion).

Stuff like ‘Enemy spotted’ can not be an animation. It’s too fast and nobody should be having your eyes on you while engaging. That’s why comments like those need to be indicators. You want to see on the hud and through the walls who’s spotted the enemy. So the team-tag should start blinking or change in shape.

And then for EVERY vsay there needs to be a subtle flashing on the teamtag on the HUD to show which player is saying stuff, whatever stuff that is.

(iwound) #32

[QUOTE=MrEd;428207]Things to bare in mind with animation designs for DB:

• General gameplay is fast
  • There are a lot of things being conveyed at any one time, e.g. movement direction, speed, acceleration, action state, etc
    [/QUOTE]

-there are quiet moments, getting to where you are, holding ground, in cover etc
-do you mean bandwidth? if so doesnt the network just convey the v21 or v91 anyway and all the clients just play the animation. so no extra net usage.

• or do you mean will it be noticed. i think so, but i’ll investigate further and check out how it works, if at all in other games.

I’m happy to be convinced otherwise however.

Well what about death anims? they’re not needed nor do they add to gameplay. but if you have the time you can enjoy watching them in game. which i do and generally get killed. Or will look great in videos and demos etc.
if you could wave while incapacitated wouldnt that help just like in ET.

(light_sh4v0r) #33

I think the problem is more with transitioning the current active animations into a taunt animation and then back again to what you are actually doing. Death animations are easy because it’s completely irrelevant how or where your body ends up. Doing animations while the player is playing is much more complex because you have a starting position, an ending position and a natural progression between the 2.

I personally don’t care for the animations, I find them obtrusive in TF2 for example.

(acutepuppy) #34

Animations are best saved for cheers, jeers, greets, and taunts.

Dynamic HUD and UI interaction with commands and calls? Yes please.

(Samurai.) #35

I was moving along this thought path towards animations in another thread in which iwound pointed me here (thanks).

The idea:

My thought’s were along the lines of funny taunt’s TF2 style, they have no contribution to gameplay in terms of telling people to come here or whatever, it is more for the element of taunting the opponent after a kill for fun - encouraging rivalry even on public servers. They could be individual to each character within each class, providing more personality or background to the game (something that’s missing atm). It also adds an aspect of comedy fun to the game rather than the super seriousness even at a public level.

How they could work:
they would be player triggered through a bind, and would require a 3rd person camera showing off the taunt, while at the same time they would be vulnerable to taking fire (showing off/taunting the opponent is at the risk of a easy kill). I guess they would also need to be player interrupted and back to 1st person camera whenever the player clicks, in case they want to carry on fighting.

Monetization

In terms of an incentive to developing an aspect like this to the game, it could be through microtransactions / extensive amount of XP to unlock new taunts for each character. New animations could be themed along side social trends such as gangnam style, whatever and ofcourse t-bagging!

I definitely understand that developing core mechanics are a much higher priority, and this isn’t something that i want to divert attention away from polishing the core of the game, i just see it as an option later on in development to provide an income option for SD while adding a fun factor to games.

(Ashog) #36

Yes, and don’t forget the flap-slapping by female characters! (can charge more for this lol)

(rookie1) #37

[QUOTE=Samurai.;432022]…Monetization
In terms of an incentive to developing an aspect like this to the game, it could be through microtransactions / extensive amount of XP to unlock new taunts for each character. New animations could be themed along side social trends such as gangnam style, whatever and ofcourse t-bagging!..[/QUOTE]
Thats a great business idea …Selling taunts
Im sure it would bring lot revenues of it :slight_smile:
but t-bagging= not funny ,low-class…of what I understand

(Samurai.) #38

Yeah i guess from a SD pov it would be hard to monetize this morally (aswell as graphically - i’d love to see it in a game though ahaha) and also people can achieve this via the crouch key already, but was more emphasizing social trends/funny dances… this is something i haven’t put much thought into, but it wouldn’t be hard to think of ideas for each character as a taunt.

(Dormamu) #39

+1 for wat Samurai said
also
on StopWatch the losing team will need to watch until the map change the winning team Doing the Harlem Shake :smiley:

(Ashog) #40

Everything is possible. No need to for SD to limit self with silly moral prejudices, the world has changed since Y2K, game companies earning money on such “amoral” things and almost everyone likes these. We are not on public tv, so who cares. Don’t think such things will change the game’s age ratings like pegi/fsk.