Very little map

(Arobeuze) #21

Like i does not understand the hint brush , i compile the map this night with -light -fast -sample 2 -filter -bounce 8.

(Drakir) #22

Although it´s nice to see new maps coming out. I really dont think this map has anything to do with RTCW.

Why did u select this theme? Have the Axis invented a time machine?

(Lockeownzj00) #23

UG UG UG UG UG.

WHY DOES IT MATTER?!

It’s not TRYING to be realistic.

IT’S JUST A LEVEL!

Why does everyone INSIST on analyzing everything! It’s not meant to be real or anything. It’s just a fucking level. This is why good maps get bad ratings.

(DeAtHmAsTeR) #24

thats why good maps get bad ratings?

no

maps like these actually do play like crap, and saying that “it is not meant to be real - it is meant to be fun” is just an excuse of a crap map which could have been put together by a two year old.

(Lockeownzj00) #25

Right. You label anything not set in WW2 crap made by a two year old.

Why the fuck is everyone so close-minded? I can understand you not liking my map. But who fucking cares? NO game (and don’t say that’s only in other games) that’s multiplayer and popular as this, if not more does not have un-realistic maps. Who really cares when it takes place?

You’re the type of person who judges a game by its graphics. It’s not an excuse–someone can make a totally unrealistic large map that was fun and you’d yell at it for being unrealistic.

(chavo_one) #26

I hope setting isn’t everything! My first map was set in a modern office building, but I created it for wolfenstein. ::plug::

Sometimes, some people like a little change of pace. If the map is good fun and well done, who cares what the setting is?

(Arobeuze) #27

Although it´s nice to see new maps coming out. I really dont think this map has anything to do with RTCW.

Why did u select this theme? Have the Axis invented a time machine?

Drakir i respect you work, this map is my first mapping experience , i am a noob , i needed an idea to mapping , this map is just for fun.

I live to Amiens (north ,France) & this town was a ground of war in 1939-1945 , can be i will make a map on it.

Amiens

I release a low version on my site.

(ziege) #28

I personally couldn’t give a toss whether or not it’s set in WW2, I’m not a War fan I’m an ET fan, as long as the map looks and plays good that’s the only thing that matters.

This map looks nice BTW, makes afresh change from the monochrome bunkers seen everywhere else. Not sure if I prefer the daylight version to the original one you showed us at night with the neon signs, both look good actually. You gotta get some cars moving tho, it’s not too difficult (I’ve got an airplane flying over in my map).

(Arobeuze) #29

Vice Territory [Work in progress]

http://arobeuze.free.fr/maps/ViceTerritory/

(fattakin) #30

Looking good - looks like a lot of work has went into tha already

Hopefully the Player can get nice and high for some Sniper action!

(Toff) #31

nice reference to rtcw-fr.com
:clap:

(G0-Gerbil) #32

Had to laugh at this quote on the front page of your site:

Marko , the Great mapper ( Trainyard , Return to Carnage Canyon , etc …)
proposed for optimized my map , UrbanTerritory , with hints brushs for a Final version.

Marko is one of the crappest mappers out there. All he’s got in his favour is his prolificness.
Weighted against him are awful map design, huge piles of boringness, bugs galore, and in at least 1 case, him completely fucking up other mapper’s installs of textures.

n1 :wink:

(lennyballa) #33

STFU about marko gerbil, you aren’t such a great mapper either. Marko just made a mistake with the textures and you already think he’s a crap mapper? Why do play more server’s his maps then your’s? Because people like them! You’re just a jealous kid man

(flashkillaman) #34

Church was very good but carnage2 and temple2 where also nice

(G0-Gerbil) #35

[quote=“lennyballa”]STFU about marko gerbil, you aren’t such a great mapper either. Marko just made a mistake with the textures and you already think he’s a crap mapper?

Did you ever play his RTCW maps too? Boring and crap. Like with ET, he got them out fast and to hell with the consequences. His maps are technically rubbish, and I personally don’t rate them playability wise either. Of course, I’m happy to say that’s a personal opinion, and others are apparently so desperate for variety that they think differently to me.

[quote]Why do play more server’s his maps then your’s? Because people like them!
Because people like variety, good or bad. Even I’m bored rigid of the standard ET maps since there are so few of them. Because he has more maps out there aimed at larger servers. With enough players in a large area, ANY map becomes reasonably enjoyable.
I did a small map knowing that not many people would play it for that reason, but I’d rather release a small well-polished map than a large crap one that people play because there’s not much alternative.

Some people map as a popularity competition, I map because I want to create something of quality regardless of what other people think :slight_smile:

You’re just a jealous kid man

(What’s a kid man? ;)).

You have to remember people don’t necessarily play a map because they like it - simply because it’s there, it’s new, and with enough other people it’ll be fun. Why do you think so many of the ‘popular’ maps are large players, or that the ‘popular’ servers often have higher player numbers than normal ones?

Anyway, I’ll be pandering to the ‘large maps’ mentality player soon enough, and when I do, trust me it’ll be better than any crap Marko chucks out :slight_smile:

And if no-one plays it? I’ll deal with it, trust me…

All I can say is this:

Marko is NOT a good example to follow if you want to create decent maps.
Once more larger maps start appearing, Marko’s offerings will see virtually zero server usage. The same happened in RTCW - quality always wins eventually. If you want to do popular maps that stand the test of time, do big ones by all means, but make them a decent quality too.

Personally I hope Marko makes better maps, god knows he’s done enough that he should have improved, and we need all the decent new maps we can get. Currently though, he’s not providing anything other than variety, pure and simple.

I don’t bitch just because I don’t like a map - RivrStyx knows I don’t like his style of maps particularly, but you won’t find me slagging them off because I can tell they are quality above and beyond personal likes. Marko’s, however, are not, and deserve to be seen for what they are - a change, that’s all.

(rorgoroth) #36

Well it’s interesting reading this thread 19 years later on.
I’m looking for the original urbanterritory pk3 currently, the one on the FA site appears to have been repacked around 2016 and has OBJ.

It’s funny reading this little feud though. Gerbil put out many good MML map that still sees quite regular play (possibly others under different names) and Marko (MLB) put out a whole bunch of maps that are still massively played today although were ports from his RTCW map split up.

So there was a flurry of activity and then both people just left, the maps left untouched now for almost 20 years like they are time capsules but are still played and still fun yet nobody even notices the history.

I wonder what they’re doing today.