This vid is very eye opening...

(TheStrangerous) #1

It can also apply to FPS games.

Well, looks like whatever Rockstar did in the past wasn’t all that great, considering their best so far shooting mechanic, was done in MP3 (which is slower and more sluggish, compared to previous entries).

Corporate console slaves can brag all they want, on how next Rockstar title will be their exclusive, cuz they ani’t realizing they be playing “Whack-a-mole”.

Yep, I no longer care for what they’ll be releasing. Platinum Games is the future, hope to see Vanquish 2 with cool parkour mechanics implemented :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, Nelo looks interesting. Can’t wait o:)

(watsyurdeal) #2

I already didn’t really care for Rockstar. Right now I’m waiting for ID to return to glory.

(TheStrangerous) #3

@watsyurdeal said:
I already didn’t really care for Rockstar. Right now I’m waiting for ID to return to glory.

Yeah, ID has resurrected some old school shooters (TNO, DOOM 4, TNO2, Quake Champs), still wonder about ET: Wolf remake… Would love to see it compete with DB >:)

Speaking of id, I’m probably the only person on the planet that really enjoyed RAGE. Played the vehicle multiplayer for hours every night when it was still active. I agree about Rockstar as well; never been a fan of them or liked many of their games aside from the really old GTAs and Red Dead way back when. I don’t even know what else they make aside from GTA and GTA clones like Saints Row or whatever it was called.

But on topic: I’m kind of indifferent about the cover systems. As someone who grew up playin’ on both PC and console, I think it’d be a bit of a stretch to say the cover system was designed solely due to how inaccurate the sticks are. I’m sure it was more of a ‘hey, this might be a neat mechanic’ type of thing so they put it in. I was fine with it in Red Dead because it suited that western showdown feel. Liked it in Deus EX because it was a slower, stealth based type of game. Gears was amazing, but admittedly I think the game would have been a lot more interesting and fun without that.

(TheStrangerous) #5

@Wintergreen said:

But on topic: I’m kind of indifferent about the cover systems. As someone who grew up playin’ on both PC and console, I think it’d be a bit of a stretch to say the cover system was designed solely due to how inaccurate the sticks are. I’m sure it was more of a ‘hey, this might be a neat mechanic’ type of thing so they put it in. I was fine with it in Red Dead because it suited that western showdown feel. Liked it in Deus EX because it was a slower, stealth based type of game. Gears was amazing, but admittedly I think the game would have been a lot more interesting and fun without that.

But RDRevolver, despite being OK at best game, least let you run and gun, despite having clunky cover system. It was at least challenging (though sometime unfair with difficulty spikes and lack of checkpoints). You were a walking badass, that could take lots of bullet, and be agile with rolling. It even had dual wielding!

Yeah, that’s why I feel pretty indifferent to them. I’m generally not a fan, but I won’t claim that some games haven’t implemented them well and made it fun rather than a sluggish handicap.

(watsyurdeal) #7

@Wintergreen said:
Speaking of id, I’m probably the only person on the planet that really enjoyed RAGE. Played the vehicle multiplayer for hours every night when it was still active.

RAGE wasn’t bad, but it’s hard not to compare that to Doom or Quake, hell even the most recent versions of those games are insanely good, RAGE would have to be more like a Far Cry or Skyrim to really compete.

(TheStrangerous) #8

@watsyurdeal said:

@Wintergreen said:
Speaking of id, I’m probably the only person on the planet that really enjoyed RAGE. Played the vehicle multiplayer for hours every night when it was still active.

RAGE wasn’t bad, but it’s hard not to compare that to Doom or Quake, hell even the most recent versions of those games are insanely good, RAGE would have to be more like a Far Cry or Skyrim to really compete.

People expect some kind of masterpiece, all because they hail ID software, as some kind of Lord and Savior.

STOP.
These are just companies, like any other. No company gets a free pass, just look at RARE. Sure they were great in the past, but now…

@watsyurdeal said:

@Wintergreen said:

You’re right. RAGE, whether a result of bad marketing or just what people have become accustomed to, didn’t get much attention or positive reviews because it was too linear. If I remember correctly, it was competing with games like Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Max Payne 3, and Borderlands 2 all around the same time to begin with which isn’t great by any means when you’re fighting for exposure. Could be wrong with the dates and specific games 'cause it’s been so long, but I know for a fact there were a lot of anticipated games around that time. So, it seemed to me like it had nobody to appeal to. Die-hard Id guys were wanting what we now see in the recent DOOM whereas the RPG nerds were wanting an open world, Borderlands-esque collectible system with a post-apocalyptic theme similar to Far Cry.

Thing is, I took the game at face value and loved it. I didn’t care that the story was linear and short, that it wasn’t open world, and that it didn’t have replay value outside of the vehicle combat multiplayer. The graphics were amazing for the time, the engine was smooth, gameplay mechanics were fun, there was enough stuff to collect and do on the side that it made every playthrough enjoyable, and the harder difficulties were NOT easy. I liked the challenge. The ending was pretty meh admittedly, a loot system or weapon customization would have been cool, and the co-op missions you could do showed a lot of potential if they had made the entire game online co-op. I miss it. Made it to the top 10 in the multiplayer leaderboards at one point and when the game started to die I would literally afk in a queue for a match for hours and as soon as a new player came I’d do everything I could to teach 'em the game and keep them playing. Pretty depressing, really. I miss it. /rant

@TheStrangerous said:
People expect some kind of masterpiece, all because they hail ID software, as some kind of Lord and Savior.

STOP.
These are just companies, like any other. No company gets a free pass, just look at RARE. Sure they were great in the past, but now…

Do not speak of such blasphemy. Questioning the grandaddy of our favorite genre is punishable by death. All hail id software and our Metal brethren! They are infallible and forever immune to criticism.

! Who am I kidding? I can’t even touch a Quake, Tribes, UT, or ET anymore without being destroyed nowadays. CoD 4 style shooters completely erased my skill in any arena shooter like that.

(TheStrangerous) #10

@Wintergreen said:

! Who am I kidding? I can’t even touch a Quake, Tribes, UT, or ET anymore without being destroyed nowadays. CoD 4 style shooters completely erased my skill in any arena shooter like that.

That’s cause arena shooters are RTS games in disguise :wink:

(watsyurdeal) #11

@TheStrangerous said:

@watsyurdeal said:

STOP.

So basically you’re saying

(TheStrangerous) #12

@watsyurdeal said:
So basically you’re saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ

NOPE, more like:

To all incompetence and scummyness.

By the way, go check out new DuckTales, it’s reboot done right!