The W.I.P pics thread

(Pytox) #281

Yep it is,

btw the terrain was at first created by MoP :wink:

(light_sh4v0r) #282

Thought so, did you hand your assets over to Chris? I thought you finished the map pretty much?

(Pytox) #283

I almost had it finished but lost all the files and script was broke :frowning:

(light_sh4v0r) #284

Bwah, I told you you shouldā€™ve released it earlier :frowning:

(Boktor) #285

Hereā€™s an area of a map Iā€™m working on. These are the narrowest hallways I plan on adding. It will be loosely based on a custom W:ET map (Iā€™ll let you guess :tongue:)

This first area is a dusty hallway used for st which leads into a large room where the main objective will be (behind the camera in the 1st shot) The last pic turns around 180 degrees to show another angle. You might be able to see I put in a couple effects - dust motes floating around and sparks on the broken light.

but wait, thereā€™s more
and this is an old side rail-way. I plan on giving the attacking Strogg the option to bring a desecrator this route :oppressor: Some of the lights flicker and are slightly different brightness/color to give an aged decrepit look.
Iā€™m not too satisfied with the mud texture Iā€™m using for the ground on the railway, but I think it works well enough.

(Violator) #286

Looks nice so far :slight_smile: Is it the map where you had to blow up 5 tanks (canā€™t remember the name)? The railway bit reminds me of that map. You mentioned the railway mud, it could with being a lot darker and have some dirt where it touches the walls.

Will the desi have room to move / dodge in the tunnel?

(Boktor) #287

Yep vio thatā€™s the one :stuck_out_tongue:
What do you mean by dirt touching the walls? Like a decal on the walls?

I want the dese to be a tight fit in this tunnel. Thereā€™s enough room for players to walk by, but the dese wonā€™t be able to turn.

(Donnovan) #288

Welcome aboard Boktor! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Nice shots! Seens a very original work considering all the things already done on this game!

Have you any previous work? I will love to look at it.

(Violator) #289

Yeah a decal would do it, something like this -

(Ashog) #290

wow great! another map! niiice! when can we test the first alpha on Nirvana? :slight_smile:

(Boktor) #291

Heh Iā€™ve played around in editworld before but this is the first real thing Iā€™ve made. It could be at least 6 weeks(?) before Iā€™ve got a playable map.
Iā€™ve got some cool ideas and some stuff sketched out on paper so here I am taking an ambitious stab at it.
Iā€™ll need a lot of help from you guys here on the forum :wink:

In fact right now Iā€™m wondering why I canā€™t place HE charges or tripmines on the boxesā€¦

(Scrupus) #292

Looks really promising Boktor! :slight_smile:

I remember that map too - Tankbuster! Was a pretty good one as I remember.

Anyway keep up the good work, looking forward for this. And keep asking whenever you need help!

Not sure about the HE planting, probably something simple. Try to reset origin on the boxes - thatā€™s a pretty common cause when things doesnā€™t work as they should.

(Donnovan) #293

The boxes are func_static or model_static models? They are solid when you try to run into then?

(Boktor) #294

They are model_static models. They are solid. You can walk on them and place mines on them. For some reason HE charges and tripmine lasers wonā€™t recognize the boxes.

Resetting the origin didnā€™t seem to work :frowning:

(Donnovan) #295

Have you created a inside area? You need at least one inside area closed with outside portals. At least one, this is a must!

If your map dont have a inside area, or if it have but you dont want to close it with outside portals now, you can create a fake small inside area. It can be tiny as a box with one side missing and closed with a outside portal brush. This is needed!

Here some tuto: http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/Adding_an_atmosphere

Otherwise, may be you can post the entity declaration of one box here. You can find it inside the file [yourmapname].entities.

(Boktor) #296

I placed brushes the same size as the boxes inside the boxes and assigned them the rendermodel_player_clip_wood texture. That seems to fix things. Tripmine lasers now work on the boxes and charges can be planted on them as well.

Thanks for the tip Donnovan
I think Iā€™ll make a thread just for all the questions Iā€™ll have so I donā€™t clutter up other threads like this one

(light_sh4v0r) #297

Looking good Boktor, good luck :slight_smile:

(Ashog) #298

Boktor, you could do it like chris did with wake island - release only alpha with 1-2 first objectives for us to test.

(Donnovan) #299

Boktor, This no-plant thing can be some flag on the material you used for the box.

Can you say me what material you used on the box? Iā€™m curious about that.

(Boktor) #300

brutt01d - I still have a lot of work to do before that. Give me maybe a month before itā€™s ready for an alpha test
Donnovan - the boxes are just models. I didnā€™t set a material for it