The Shell Shock Update

(ragnak) #41

@bgyoshi said:

2016 was the year of no maps, 1 merc, Summer Squash, and a new balance patch practically every week or two.

There were 22 patches in 2016 of which:

6 had mercs balance in them and most of them happened early 2016. Unless you count “changed hitbox by 2%” as something worth talking about. Most of those patches were focused on events/bug fixes.
I wont even point out how “every week or two” balance patch theory is bollocks.

This took all of the dev time away from new content development, which means the first half of 2017 was devoid of new content too, until Dockyard. Which… you seem to have conveniently forgotten.

Which is bollocks as well, check patch notes and see how many balance changes we got in the time there was no new content (worth mentioning that most balance changes happened when we were getting new content). Spoiler: not a lot. Also saying that we didnt get new content because they were focused on mercs/weapons balance is silly at best (even if there were a lot of them). The only time when balancing should have any impact on content is when there are some huge core changes, like say adding wall jumping which wasnt the case. Also look at lol, overwatch, paladins or pretty much any other semi successful game, balance changes happens bi weekly on top of new content, most of the time there is no difference in the amount of new content whenever there are new balance changes or not.

Which game? Are you talking about billion dollar company Blizzard and Overwatch? Multimillion dollar company Valve and TF2? Multimillion dollar title CS:GO? I’m not really sure what small company you’re talking about here.

Shards of war (dead at the moment), hawken (was dead, almost dead now but was recently rebooted). Cant really find you better examples really, both of them had small dev teams. Or you know, you could check it by yourself, SD isnt the only company that have small dev team, but there sure are a lot that produce faster. Obviously most of small companies die out, but before lol was successful they had small dev team as well, didnt stop them from making balance changes all the time with new content.

Oh you’re talking about Ranked, a mode which accounts for less than half of DB players. Yeah wow how painful, I’m sure the majority of players wish Ranked worked. Not.

I wasnt talking about ranked tho. Just because people doesnt abuse everything in pubs like they do in ranked doesnt mean that said things arent overpowered or badly designed. Also, its silly to add ranked to your game and then ignore it, so i cant see your point anyway.

We have 2 new maps and a new merc and barely through half a year. I’m more than willing to bet we’ll get at least one if not two more maps before the end of the year and possibly another merc, as well as a big balance patch after the Shell Shock event.

Besides, they give you balance and bug fixes literally every single month. Cry more

Should i remind you that both turtle and dockyard were in production for way over a year ? I wasnt whining about new content and i am happy that it came but i wont start ignoring long lasting issues just because we got something new, especially that balance changes are probably the easiest thing to do (surely easier than bug fixes/new content). Also, if balance changes block development then there is something terribly wrong in how SD is operating.

(bgyoshi) #42

@ragnak said:
There were 22 patches in 2016 of which:

6 had mercs balance in them and most of them happened early 2016. Unless you count “changed hitbox by 2%” as something worth talking about. Most of those patches were focused on events/bug fixes.
I wont even point out how “every week or two” balance patch theory is bollocks.

52/22 = 2.36

Looks like about every 2 weeks to me.

@ragnak said:

Also look at lol, overwatch, paladins or pretty much any other semi successful game, balance changes happens bi weekly on top of new content, most of the time there is no difference in the amount of new content whenever there are new balance changes or not.

Oh I see, multimillion dollar title LoL, which took off upon release, multibillion dollar company with multimillion dollar title Overwatch, and 10 month-old game Paladins. Need I remind you in the first year of DB we got monthly massive balance patches, Kira, Phoenix, Thunder, Redeye, Rhino, Sparks, Stoker, Phantom, Aimee, the Dome map, 2 release events Containment War and Rogue En Vogue, and new game mode Execution.

@ragnak said:

Shards of war (dead at the moment)

Wow how weird

hawken (was dead, almost dead now but was recently rebooted)

Wow how weird

@ragnak said:

Obviously most of small companies die out, but before lol was successful they had small dev team as well, didnt stop them from making balance changes all the time with new content.

Getting a couple million dollars in your first year really helps a lot indeed!

@ragnak said:

I wasnt talking about ranked tho.

Oh

@ragnak said:

especially that arty/fragger/aura/flecher meta

Ok

@ragnak said:

Should i remind you that both turtle and dockyard were in production for way over a year ?

No, I remember perfectly well. I remember they were slated to be the cool new maps and mercs along with Javelin after SD released early rough versions of Dockyard and another map whose name I forgot, then scrapped all of their new content development to “buckle down and squash the bugs and balance the game.” Because the bugs were “breaking the game” and the balance was “unplayable”, whined the players.

I also then remember the last half of 2016, people whining that SD wasn’t spending enough time on new content and kept on doing bug patches, not to mention SD was working to break away from Nexon.

I hate to break it to you, but this game hasn’t made millions like LoL, it’s not run by a triple A developer that has enough money to afford constant R&D and develop new content at the same time, and they’re only just now crawling out of the hole they were in.

Quit being toxic and let SD be SD. They’re on a roll and they’ll get back to the good ol’ days of 2015

(ragnak) #43

@bgyoshi said:
52/22 = 2.36

Looks like about every 2 weeks to me.
Reread what you have wrote in your own post before this post, you were specifically talking about balance patches. Also, a lot of those patches were event based, that only added cases or there were like 4-5 minor bug fixes, tons of work indeed.

Oh I see, multimillion dollar title LoL, which took off upon release, multibillion dollar company with multimillion dollar title Overwatch, and 10 month-old game Paladins. Need I remind you in the first year of DB we got monthly massive balance patches, Kira, Phoenix, Thunder, Redeye, Rhino, Sparks, Stoker, Phantom, Aimee, the Dome map, 2 release events Containment War and Rogue En Vogue, and new game mode Execution.

Because every fucking successful company starts as multimillion dollar company. Its hard to have a discussion when you ignore that MOST games that are today successful didnt start with a small loan of 1 billion dollars with 1000 people dev team.
Paladins is made by hirez, hi rez still adds tons of content to smite while still balancing it, but since NOW they are pretty big you will go into your fallacy that its a huge company that couldnt fail before. Define massive balance patches for me, because there were like 4 of them that had big changes + what massive changes did phoenix, kira, rhino or aimee get ? Unless you talk about SD just adding them to the game, in which case i wish to remind you that almost everything that we got in open beta was in closed beta before. “Massive” and “new” indeed.

Shards of war (dead at the moment)

Wow how weird

They didnt die because of balance patches. You dont even know the story behind the game so why would you even comment if its weird or not.

hawken (was dead, almost dead now but was recently rebooted)

Wow how weird

Hawken was bought by another company and the company that sold it did it because of mismanagement, they just didnt had the funds which have nothing to do with balance patches, again. The company that bought it around 1,5-2 years ago made ps4/xboxone ports and now released new content for pc with new maps/mechs/changes with a team of around 15 people, which is a lot more than what SD did in the same time span.

Getting a couple million dollars in your first year really helps a lot indeed!

Even if they did, they still started as a small team that did more than SD with around the same size + lol dev team was new unlike SD that is established for well over 10 years now. Having money doesnt mean you will make a long lasting game, hawken is a prime example of that since they had millions to spend but because of incompetence it was mostly wasted.

@ragnak said:

especially that arty/fragger/aura/flecher meta

Ok

People dont use those mercs on pubs or did i miss something ? If you want to go by pub meta you will only have auras/proxys and skyhammers, hard to make balance changes around that.

No, I remember perfectly well. I remember they were slated to be the cool new maps and mercs along with Javelin after SD released early rough versions of Dockyard and another map whose name I forgot, then scrapped all of their new content development to “buckle down and squash the bugs and balance the game.” Because the bugs were “breaking the game” and the balance was “unplayable”, whined the players.

They focused on bugs not freaking balance. Need prove ? read patch notes.

I also then remember the last half of 2016, people whining that SD wasn’t spending enough time on new content and kept on doing bug patches, not to mention SD was working to break away from Nexon.

Because you need to do both to have a successful game ? Its a f2p game in an over saturated market, if you think that the game can grow by keeping it on live support then sorry but thats now how it works.

I hate to break it to you, but this game hasn’t made millions like LoL, it’s not run by a triple A developer that has enough money to afford constant R&D and develop new content at the same time, and they’re only just now crawling out of the hole they were in.
Quit being toxic and let SD be SD. They’re on a roll and they’ll get back to the good ol’ days of 2015

LoL dev team wasnt either, hi rez wasnt either, day z (as much as i dont care for the game, i cant take away the popularity it have) dev wasnt either. They were in that hole because of their own mistakes. Mercs balance is an ongoing issue for many months now and the only communication we ever get from them about that is: “they wait for more data”. Balance is not something you will get right at the first try so waiting many months for them to fix something that they broke (thunder, for example, after they buffed him) is just annoying. So now we will wait for gods know how long (because there is almost 0 communication about the issue), just to wait another few months after they make changes ? Maybe they changed how they do things but i dont know because they dont tell anyone. If i am dissatisfied with the state of any part of DB, i will voice my opinion about it and i dont give a flying fuck if you consider it toxic.

(Xenithos) #44

Really wish you would have combined the around the eyes thing from green, with the color from Purple. Because HANDS DOWN that’s what I want. Screw this stupid blue color, or weird spectacle over purple. I WANT PURPLE WITH ROBO-BIOTICS!

(Xenithos) #45

Also, is there a ranked bug where People that are temporarily banned, have to leave the lobby until the ban is over, or their accept won’t go through even after being unbanned?

(everlovestruck) #46

I’m choosing the blue one just because it looks least edgy

(TitaniumRapture) #47

i vote for the proxy with less annoying mines. Which option is that?

(bgyoshi) #48

@ragnak lmao dude you’re out in outer space by now

I know companies don’t start as multimillion dollar companies, but when you go from a small dev team to a multimillion dollar dev team in under a year, you can do a lot more developing than SD can. The team for this game is a small dev team that DIDN’T become a multimillion dollar dev team. They stayed small and poor and they have limited resources. Resources limited enough that it hasn’t been possible to do balance changes AND new content at the same time. Get that through your head.

@bgyoshi said:

You clearly weren’t around when they spent a full year on balance changes and everyone complained that there wasn’t enough new content.

2016 was the year of no maps, 1 merc, Summer Squash, and a new balance patch practically every week or two.

I don’t remember saying massive balance patches but okay

(ClemClem7) #49

@stayfreshshoe said:

General

• Fixed bug where players received negative XP for suiciding when pressing ‘K’

Hum… that is not fixed

(SnakekillerX) #50

I’m surprised to see there are no 24/7 Vault servers after what happened with Dockyard and the demand for it.

I for one would like to play the map back to back to back so I can learn all of its different routes and how to play it effectively.

(ragnak) #51

@bgyoshi said:
@ragnak lmao dude you’re out in outer space by now

I know companies don’t start as multimillion dollar companies, but when you go from a small dev team to a multimillion dollar dev team in under a year, you can do a lot more developing than SD can. The team for this game is a small dev team that DIDN’T become a multimillion dollar dev team. They stayed small and poor and they have limited resources. Resources limited enough that it hasn’t been possible to do balance changes AND new content at the same time. Get that through your head.

I am tired of explaining how balance changes arent exactly made by the same people that are responsible for new content (unless you want to tell me that sound engineers/artists/animators/map designers works on balance changes) or how some companies are more competent than others so they end up huge within a year while DB isnt even growing anymore. Balance changes needs to happen as often as its needed, no excuses. There is a good reason why lol is huge right now and keeping the game fresh all the time is one of the reasons, they werent huge at the start and using the fact that they are huge now to defend SD is silly as hell.

@bgyoshi said:
I don’t remember saying massive balance patches but okay

@bgyoshi said:
Need I remind you in the first year of DB we got monthly massive balance patches

@bgyoshi said:
monthly massive balance patches

@bgyoshi said:
massive

You ignore most of my points, you dont remember what you are writing, you dont even have any proper arguments. You are just dropping an emotional tantrum at me, in a “leave britney alone” manner, so there isnt much of a point in continuing this discussion.