The new phantom

(ARandomLugia) #1

I don’t know if it is just me or if more people think this way, but I think that the new phantom ain’t fun to play against as someone who loves to play 90hp mercs. But the new phantom sort of works like this on the recieving end:

• Go around doing your stuff
  • Phantom gets behind you, can’t even call it sneaking anymore
  • Uncloaks and .5 seconds later there is a katana through your body
  • Rinse and repeat until you switch of your favorite mercs

That I feel pressured to play mercs that I enjoy less cause of the phantom BS right now should say enough…

(everlovestruck) #2

It begins.

(Your worst knifemare.) #3

I’ll wait until I play the update before feedback.

(SaulWolfden) #4

He’s too powerful, he can’t be spotted and he has no delay.

SD needs to pick one and discard the other, either he can be spotted, but has no delay or he can’t be spotted, but has a delay (decloaking animation that leaves him vulnerable long enough for him to be noticeable).

(Da_Mummy) #5

The new Phantom just feels like:
“go in, kill a person, wait for your cloak to recharge and rince rice repeat”
Not more not less.

(bgyoshi) #6

Time to start paying attention to your surroundings.

(GatoCommodore) #7

@SaulWolfden said:

SD needs to pick one and discard the other, either he can be spotted, but has no delay or he can’t be spotted, but has a delay (decloaking animation that leaves him vulnerable long enough for him to be noticeable).

imo most of the time i can kill him but the thing i hate is he didnt uncloak when hit with multiple rounds and his decloak sound is too quiet.

tl;dr add decloak animation higher decloak and EMP sound and he will be set

(binderr) #8

@SaulWolfden said:

Thats what i noticed in-game. even after shooting at him he dosent decloack and stay invisible, kind of defeats the purpose of spotting!! Not sure why SD is wasting time on a useless merc, he pretty much brings nothing to objective team games. Now that his buffed more people are using him but really as lone wolf for katana kills, least that’s all I see.

(phobiatic) #9

@bgyoshi said:
Time to start paying attention to your surroundings.

The whole purpose of the game is it being fast passed and skill based… If you have to check your surroundings every 5sec because of 1 merc that you can’t see or hear, well this is a direct stop to fast combat.

Basicly they going once again against their own goals, fast passed combat but make mercs that slows down the combat completely.

(bgyoshi) #10

@phobiatic said:

The whole purpose of the game is it being fast passed and skill based… If you have to check your surroundings every 5sec because of 1 merc that you can’t see or hear, well this is a direct stop to fast combat.

It really doesn’t slow you down to do a quick 180 every now and then when you check the scoreboard and see the phantom isn’t dead

It also doesn’t slow you down to stick near your teammates so you can watch each other’s backs

This is all stuff you should already be doing anyway… that’s part of the skill of teamwork

But yes you’re right, if you’re the lone wolf player that ignores the team and runs off to do your own thing, it’s gonna slow you down.

He definitely shouldn’t be able to decloak by attacking or attack while cloaked though. He should have to decloak and then attack as separate actions.

(Your worst knifemare.) #11

@binderr said:

@SaulWolfden said:

Thats what i noticed in-game. even after shooting at him he dosent decloack and stay invisible, kind of defeats the purpose of spotting!!

He still takes health damage however.

(Eox) #12

That phantom rework is a total waterloo. I don’t know if it adressed the issues Phantom had first, but the only thing sure is that he’s back at being incredibly frustrating to play against. It’s Phantom’s release all over again, but even stronger this time.

First of all, Phantom needs to get the sound he made when he was cloaked back. I don’t even know why this got removed to begin with. Sure, sounds in DB aren’t really that reliable for counterplay, but it would be a good start. Then Phantom should absolutely be prevented from being able to attack when invisible right of the bat : he should be forced to manually cancel the invisibility, which should IMO take a 1s delay. Finally, his invisibility should blink if he gets damaged while invisible, because invisibility shouldn’t be outright a “get out of jail free” card.

The only thing I like is the fact that he can’t be spotted by snipers : it gives to snipers some welcomed counterplay. But I absolutely hate how enraging it feels to have to deal with him, especially considering the fact that he’s totally overplayed right now. He ruins the whole update by himself.

(bgyoshi) #13

@Eox said:

First of all, Phantom needs to get the sound he made when he was cloaked back. I don’t even know why this got removed to begin with. Sure, sounds in DB aren’t really that reliable for counterplay, but it would be a good start.

I’m actually fine with there being no sound during cloak, but you should always be able to hear him cloaking and decloaking when you’re close. This also makes the big ears perk have some better use. If you can hear them running past you, then what’s the point of being sneaky? You can’t really sneak if you’re blasting a boombox while invisible.

Then Phantom should absolutely be prevented from being able to attack when invisible right of the bat :

I made some larger post about phantom rework ideas and this was a requirement I listed should phantom ever be full invis

he should be forced to manually cancel the invisibility, which should IMO take a 1s delay.

Considering the TTK for most weapons in this game is .3s or less with perfect aim, even if you leave some room for inaccuracy, a 1s delay would be murder for Phantom. I think .35 or .4s would be a happy medium for the Phantom to still have the air of surprise, but also time for the victim to react if they’re paying attention. The average human reaction time is .2s (200ms) so .4 is more than enough. But it’s still contingent on the existence of decloaking noises. Without a decloaking noise, I could see 1s being more reasonable.

Finally, his invisibility should blink if he gets damaged while invisible, because invisibility shouldn’t be outright a “get out of jail free” card.

Another requirement I listed

Fortunately, I have much more confidence in SD’s ability to react to this feedback and make further changes now than I did a year ago.

(llSquishyll) #14

Phantom has been easy to spot, just look behind your friendly auras and snipers and you usually find some distorted cloaked figure chasing them…

(JShug07) #15

To be honest this seems to be a pretty decent update for phantom,the reason I am saying this because before this update phantom was a joke.I mean like seriously you need to have experience/skill to use phantom while there are other mercs which are OP and pretty much easy to use like Nader.I also found that even after shooting on the phantom he still stays cloaked which makes it a bit of irritating.

(Begin2018) #16

Fantom buff? Are they selling Obsidian card for him? :wink:

(Your worst knifemare.) #17

After playing as and against Phantom.

• It’s nearly impossible to tell if he’s nearby due to lack of sound and how hard he is to see (He can sprint in front of you with no issues.)
  • Emp Is a nice change, especially with a spotting ability.
  • I like how he takes damage instead of losing cloak duration.
  • I think his cloak should make him more visable once he takes damage.
  • His health could use a nerf since he’s less likely to be seen.

(dlux) #18

I had never played phantom before today, and I’m consistently topscoring with him today.
He is extremely easy to play currently, and he is extremely frustrating to play against.
Feels really dirty to play him, I usually don’t make 50+ kills in a OBJ game but today it happened with ease.

(Judar) #19

I am casual scrub and I enjoyed Phantom before the update, right now I feel like he’s too good. Everything takes time and I believe that in the future it will be easier for me to spot him, but right now I can’t notice him even if he cloaked on my vision =(

(Teflon Love) #20

It’s telling when the Hunter gets released and everybody just talks about Phantom. :smiley: