The 'featured' thread section

(tokamak) #1

I got it! In a bid against this relentless thread spamming I think I have a solution.

Make a new section (placed above the general brink discussion) in which only moderators can create new topics. From that point on every thread on a specific subject deemed worthy by the forum staff will be moved to that section.

It’s basically the same thing as stickying posts but without the con of cluttering up the topic lists (making topics drop faster from the frontpage which is a part of the problem).

That way we can have a consistent and durable conversation on important topics without someone pressing the reset button every time.

The ‘Constructive feedback on AI’ which is stickied now is a good example of a thread eligible for this section.

I bet it will be less work than having to constantly lock duplicate topics. And I’m also sure that it will discourage topic spam in the long run as people will be more interested in holding a discussion that stays rather than risking their efforts been lost in that maelstrom that is the general section.

Two other advantages are that A: It demonstrates SD is listening to their playerbase, and B: Durable threads actually create a much more substantial feedback than spam topics.

(Nail) #2

just might work

(light_sh4v0r) #3

That’d be good, provided SD have the manpower available to actually moderate every single topic.

(tokamak) #4

I figured moderating a handful of topics is less work than having to moderate the myriad of repetitive topics.

(light_sh4v0r) #5

Sure, but I mean someone has to read all the junk to pick out the topics that are worthwhile.

(shagileo) #6

I pity the man who needs to do that job
There’s a whole lot of junk out there :penguin:

(tokamak) #7

It’s not much work at all. You just pick a handful of topics that SD finds they have priority.

(kamikazee) #8

I wonder how long that’d work…
In no time we’d have threads whining that the thread starter’s pet topic was not chosen as a featured topic.

On the upside, we could ignore those.

(Mustang) #9

So shift the focus from trying to keep the clutter/spam/repeat threads under control and at the same time still being impossible to find what we’re really looking for
To managing only what we’re interested in and essentially ignoring the rest

It’ll still mean wading through the mud to get to the gold though, for whoever feels up to the challenge of finding said interesting threads

(tokamak) #10

That’s still better than having all the good topics sink to the bottom. Featuring a topic means you only have to find it once.

(Herandar) #11

Too late. {cough}