"The Bridge of Remagen" Beta Shots!

(duke'ku) #21

hedges? :???: the engineers at the bridge had the original goal of making a pontoon bridge to get supplies across… but the bridge wasn’t destroyed, blah blah…then it collapsed…you know the rest. but hedges? o_O

(BXpress) #22

well, didnt know the word…
and the story was the following:

the Axis wanted to blow the bridge but some Allies threw some dynamite into the water and the cut the cable for Exolding command. so the axis send a soldier for Manual Blow (at this point, sorry for my baaad english).
they blew the half of the bridge but it was still in tact…
allies sent troopers across the rest of the bridge and the rest of the Axis gave up…

ten days later (at the 7.April) the bridge broke.

then the allies built the pontoon bridge… well, thats a bit to much to script for me:D

(duke'ku) #23

a pontoon bridge is basically a row of baloons with wood on top of them :wink:

(Slippery Jim) #24

(BXpress) #25

thank you:) the first one is usefull! :clap:

here my new towers:

i was workin the whole night on it! :eek2:

(Shai) #26

Looks very good bx, cant wait to play!

(DeAtHmAsTeR) #27

looks wicked :slight_smile:
i cant hardly bend my brush on radient… i dont have a blumming clue :poke: .

How do you add fog? i dont get it :’( do you add the thing in script or what? do you use the entitiy :open_mouth:

(BXpress) #28

im its a simple shader… this one here:

textures/mp_remagen/fog
{
	qer_editorimage	textures/mp_remagen/fog.tga
	surfaceparm	nonsolid
	surfaceparm	nonopaque
	surfaceparm	fog
	surfaceparm	trans
	surfaceparm	nolightmap

fogparms	( 0.05 0.05 0.1 ) 5000.0
}

:moo:

(Garfo) #29

m8 that map looks great :banana: :clap: :banana:
but dont make the objective 2 short etc…rhine was 2 short like blow one thing up and that is it game over,how about making 2 bridges side by side then maybe axis and allies could have a good old fire fight across the bridges.anyhow just a thought :???:

(BXpress) #30

hehe no sorry, i want it all original and the original objectives…
1)Axis: blow the bridge
Allies: cross the bridge
2) Axis: stop allies reaching the Erpel side (erpel, town at the other rhine side)
Allies: reach erpel!
:beer:

(kotkis) #31

You need to be careful with the first objective. Make to make sure that Axis can’t stop Allies reaching the other side with huge artillery and A/S spam, it’d be shame if the map would always end after 1 minute of playing because Axis are able to destroy the bridge. Anyway, I really like the idea about a running race to the bridge (I hope there’s possibility for l33t strafe jumpers to use their skills :wink:

(Spookstah) #32

So far it really looks good, but like some other people already say make it a “large” map, because the maps that are released atm or all 2 small or 2 simple.

Maybe you can add some boats the allies and/or axis can “construct” and use to cross the river.

Or maybe an objective at the factory that whas close to the bridge (V2 rocket factory?)

(Yogota) #33

LOL… I saw a Movie about the Remagen Bridge just YESTERDAY. XD
Anyways~!
That Bunker/Tunnelthing was used by the Axis as a kind of Bunker, at the entrance were lotsa MGs. Some Flak(AA)-Cannons were on the hill over the Bunker, while the Allies had lotsa Sherman Tanks on the other side. Some Ammo Train tried to make it over the Bridge, but the entrance part of the Bridge got blown up by the Axis to prevent the Allies (Which actually blew the Ammo train up, btw). In the middle of the Bridge was some “Notzünder” 2nd fuse, whilst the main fuse was at the Bunker/Tunnel entrance. o.O There was also some Boat near the Axis Side of the Bridge (i.e. near the tunnel), in which lotsa MGs were situated as a backup IF Allied Troops reach the other Side of the Bridge first. And~! Don’t forget them Railroad Tracks on the bridge itself. ^-^ And some MGs up the Towers. :3 I’m painting (yep, MS Crappaint xD) you a Picture for a better look on the Situation…

Yeah, it sucks and is partly hand-drawn but should give you some Ideas and a good look at the situation back then. Reference Footage I reccomend: “Die Brücke von Remagen”, i dunno what name the Movie has in America - prolly “The Bridge of Remagen”. It came out in 1968.

Hope it’ll help ya, Yogota

(BXpress) #34

well, some parts of the movie arent like they were in 1945 but is nice… i saw the movie too…
just let me do it like i think its the best :chef:

(DaiShan) #35

The Bridge at Remagen and the V2 attacks
March 07, 1945, was a drizzly gray day, especially for the Wehrmacht troops near Remagen Germany. American troops of the U.S. First Army surprised the German garrison at the old Ludendorff railway bridge across the Rhine River and captured the bridge. The German defenders of the bridge did manage to detonate a huge charge that raised the bridge in the air but, it settled back to its foundation, seemingly intact.

Over the next ten days the Americans poured thousands of troops and supplies over the Rhine into Germany. Hitler ordered the immediate destruction of the bridge using any and all means possible. The 9th and 11th Panzer Divisions hurried to battle the American 9th Division in the bridgehead. On March 08, ten Luftwaffe aircraft (including eight Stuka dive-bombers) attacked the bridge, scoring two hits. On March 15, twenty-one German jet aircraft attacked the bridge with poor results - fifteen of the aircraft were shot down by U.S. anti-aircraft batterys.

Hitler then tried other weapons on the bridge. These included; a tremendous 17-centimeter railroad artillery gun, intreped underwater scuba men (they swam down the Rhine in an attempt to place demolitions on the piers) and also the use of the V2 rocket to strike the bridgehead area. Hitler was sure the rocket attacks would disrupt the whole bridgehead area. He envisioned 50-100 rockets over a 2-3 day period but, at this point in the war there was no way the rocket troops could muster such an effort.

On March 16, Hitler notified German General Bayerlein that he was ordering the attack of Remagen using V2 rockets - regardless of casualties to civilians. Late on the evening of March 16 - because of the accuracy problems with the new terror weapon - the Germans fighting in the bridgehead were moved back from the area about 9 miles. American commanders hushed the possibilty of a coming “V-weapon” attack on the bridgehead.

General Kammler received the order to attack Remagen and immediately issued commands to Batt. SS Abt. 500 at Hellendoorn to target the American bridgehead. The SS Abt. 500 had just moved back to the old firing sites at Hellendoorn (130 miles north of Remagen) on March 08 and was suffering fuel supply problems and very few rockets. Dispite this, the troops were able to launch eleven rockets on March 17, all impacting around Remagen, with the farthest away being 40 km. near Cologne.

One V2 fell close to the Apollinaris Church in Remagen, about 1 kilometer from the bridge. This round destroyed several buildings near the church and caused collateral damage to buildings within 1000 meters. The impact shook every structure in the city. Another V2 fell directly into the Rhine River a little less than 1 mile from the bridge.*
The closest hit landed at 09.30 hrs in the backyard of a house belonging to a farmer named Herman Joseph Lange. A dozen U.S. soldiers were billeted in this house and three of the Americans were killed instantly. The rocket impacted less than 300 yards from the bridge shaking the ground with a tremendous boom and mini-earthquake. Vanished in the explosion were 18 farm animals. At 12.20 hrs, another V2 rocket impacted the command post of the 1159 Engineer Combat Group, killing another three men an injuring thirty-one others.*
Immediately after the V2 attacks of that morning, the already weary Ludendorff Bridge fell into the Rhine River shortly after 15.00. The earth-shaking rocket attacks of that day finally weakened the bridge to the point of its collapse. In describing the force of a single four-ton V2 hitting the earth at 3000 mph, General Dornberger touted it equal to “…50 locomotives impacting the ground at 60 mph.” It was a veritable earthquake encompassing the immediate area. This type of force impacting several times in the bridgehead - probably was simply too much stress for the bridge.

Late the next day, Hitler sent his congratulations to the SS Abt. 500 at Hellendoorn for the destruction of the Ludendorff Bridge

(BXpress) #36

um the bridge broke on the 7th of March O_o

(Pog'S) #37

Really cool :smiley: (i think more than i can see) it’s damn to dark for my Mac monitor which is already a lot darker than PC ones: -/

I hope you’ll make a campaign about it.
Maybe you can have a second map where Allies have to destroy the V2 Facility to prevent destruction of the bridge.?

(BXpress) #38

hehe, i was thinkin about this too:)
PS: mac ROXX

(Pog'S) #39

I have a Mac monitor but i use a PC :wink: at least until ET runs on Mac…
Sorry for your illusion Bxpress :stuck_out_tongue:

(BXpress) #40

aniway, mac Roxx:P
updated pics:

:moo: :banana: