Spawncamping

(DirtyDav) #21

[quote=“MidnightButterSweats;c-216353”]Spawn camping is more often than not just a sign of bad team balance.

However, what most people call spawn camping in this is just being killed right outside of spawn, where as spawn camping is actually being killed upon spawning in (unable to make any player actions before death). This game does have protections against that, but at the same time, they’re easy to exploit.

I dunno how many times I’ve used Proxy or Fletcher to sit at the top of the first attacker spawn escalators in Underground, or the middle attacker spawn escalators, and nuke players as soon as they make a move action, but it’s enough that I stopped doing it. Similarly, I stopped playing Chapel because sniping directly into attacker middle spawn and defender final spawn for free kills, and as basically a REQUIRED attack/defense strategy, got old really fast.

In general, this game is worse than most other games about spawn camping prevention, but at the same time, the majority of ‘spawn camp’ cases are still just bad teams being bad.[/quote]

For the elevators, the best thing to do is wait until the square boxes disappear and cook a frag. :stuck_out_tongue: Source: lots and lots of exploiting.

(blonk) #22

[quote=“LifeupOmega;c-214546”]
Players who get camped to such a degree where this can’t even help are just outmatched. In a pub? Tough, you can’t balance those. It’s your choice to leave or stay and try and break it (by playing mercs who can, not the usual garbage compositions you see). In ranked? Forfeit exists.[/quote]

[quote=“r2dav2;c-214681”]I have an idea: get gud. ;D

If you don’t like the way a match is going, leave. It’s not their fault they’re better than your team. The idea is to try to win, remember?[/quote]

I understand where a lot of you guys are coming from but I can’t help but feel this “if you’re getting spawnraped it’s because you’re shite and deserve to have no fun at all or have to find another server” mentality is a bit poisonous and not very constructive. Not that there’s an easy solution to this (kek CMM amirite guiz) but surely if it annoys new/non MLG vuvuzela tooting players it deserves a proper discussion as much as anything else?

I never thought I’d say this but they actually cover it in this Steam community discussion quite well. At the end of the day it’s just poor sportsmanship, and I’d respect a player a lot more for not taking part given the opportunity.

[quote=“ThaiSan;c-209074”]Spawncamping in this game usually shows that the camped team doesn’t really have a chance anyways. If DB would have something that prevented spawn camping like NPC turrets that kill potential spawncampers the camped team will most likely get slaughtered somewhere else.
Also this would break some maps where running through enemies spawn is a possible way to get out of combat or flank like Terminals and Bridges last stage defender spawns for example.[/quote]

That was my thinking - was it the original Crysis multiplayer that had these really obnoxious turrets at the primary bases that would annihilate anything that came within range? Maybe something like that - players can try and push the enemy right back into their spawn, but with the peril that they might get blown away by automated defenses. Of course it’s not going to help a crap team win but it might mean that any cocky players get forced to at least march back to the frontline, allowing them a means of breaking out. Given that this would likely require some deep map reworks it seems pretty unlikely though.

(DirtyDav) #23

[quote=“blonk;c-216655”][quote=“LifeupOmega;c-214546”]
Players who get camped to such a degree where this can’t even help are just outmatched. In a pub? Tough, you can’t balance those. It’s your choice to leave or stay and try and break it (by playing mercs who can, not the usual garbage compositions you see). In ranked? Forfeit exists.[/quote]

[quote=“r2dav2;c-214681”]I have an idea: get gud. ;D

If you don’t like the way a match is going, leave. It’s not their fault they’re better than your team. The idea is to try to win, remember?[/quote]

I understand where a lot of you guys are coming from but I can’t help but feel this “if you’re getting spawnraped it’s because you’re shite and deserve to have no fun at all or have to find another server” mentality is a bit poisonous and not very constructive. Not that there’s an easy solution to this (kek CMM amirite guiz) but surely if it annoys new/non MLG vuvuzela tooting players it deserves a proper discussion as much as anything else?
[/quote]

Just saying there’s always the disconnect button. They have to learn some way, you can’t hold everyone’s hand. It’s really a good learning opportunity, but if they don’t get that, they’re free to leave and find a server more suitable to their level.

(bgyoshi) #24

This is true. I personally don’t take part in spawn camping; most of the reason why I don’t play Chapel anymore, since spawn camping is basically a required strategy in pubs.

Whenever my team spawn camps I run into the enemy spawn room with a knife and stab the wall until someone kills me.

(Dr_Plantboss) #25

I just play melee only. It’s not family friendly fun for every one!

It gives the cute little newbs a chance to shoot me down, but is also really fun for me.