So, you guys finally realize it huh?

(gold163) #21

I don’t think it’s about SD just underestimating their fans, I think it’s more like SD went way out of their league with Brink. All of the stuff they tried to do was orders of magnitude more ambitious than what they had done before. I also think that SD (and id for that matter) has a severe lack of communication with their fans compared to other companies these days (Valve, Runic, Riot Games, Blizzard) and the games suffer as a result.

(tokamak) #22

I’m not apologising for giving the game a chance.

(zenstar) #23

The game was fun while it lasted (imo) and I got my money’s worth out of it… but it faded a lot quicker than I would have liked (for various reasons).
It was definitely worth trying for the first month or so, and for a bit after agents of change was released.

(McAfee) #24

REAL disappointment? to who? only you?

BF3 has around 5 months out and it has a healthy community, the Brink community after 5 months was pretty much non-existent.

BF3 will has 3 DLCs scheduled for this year. I personally don’t agree on the amount, but it means the Publisher/Devs are still making money out of the game.

And a patch has been promised, which I hope could come with more priority then the Expansions.

No game is PERFECT, but BF3 is certainly not a failure, maybe you didn’t like it, but I’m sure their Publisher/Devs are very happy with it. And the game has a fairly big community compared to Brink.

(tokamak) #25

[QUOTE=zenstar;395990]The game was fun while it lasted (imo) and I got my money’s worth out of it… but it faded a lot quicker than I would have liked (for various reasons).
It was definitely worth trying for the first month or so, and for a bit after agents of change was released.[/QUOTE]
ETQW was worth the money I spent on Brink.

(Crytiqal) #26

W:ET was worth the money i spend on BRINK, SD finally got their money for it :wink:

(Kl3ppy) #27

http://www.dramabutton.com/ ?

(light_sh4v0r) #28

Don’t overdo it Kleppy, just real drama deserves the dramabutton.

(Kl3ppy) #29

ok :frowning:

+chars

(tokamak) #30

//youtu.be/ETI72zGyzZI

(Apples) #31

I was saying that even before the game went out and didnt buy it, can I have a bigger cookie too? µ

All jokes aside, I think we cant (at least the people on this forum) be blamed for not giving constructive feedback here, I mean we spent a year discussing about Brink in all the possible ways, with pro and cons after each videos, we tried hard to give feedback to SD for them to keep the general core they had with ET and ET:QW, we sometimes maybe went out of bounds and yelled a bit too much, but still, the ideas everyone were bashing, were the same that we discussed like 6 monthes before the game shipped out…

So no I wont apologise for NOT giving this game a chance because I dont buy things blindly, it’s a thing to support a studio (and as I said, put a “donate” button on this site and I’ll be the first to give some cash from time to time, even if I know its not my donation that’ll pay for an entire game, at least we as fans can help), its another thing to buy things I dont like or trust.

As I already said also, the best “friend” is someone who tell the bad stuffs, not the one who doesnt say a word untill you fall badly.

Brink is an unfinished product, I blame SD for not hearing us and Bethesda for rushing them / DLC stuffs / no support… Now its time to move on and I’m sure a more little project with a lower price and less content, but with a real gameplay and core would be a big hit for SD

Peace

(SockDog) #32

I haven’t said it in a while so I’ll repeat myself. Brink was delayed as was ETQW, SD needs to take on some responsibility for the production process. id clearly gave them whatever time they needed to get the job done on ETQW (but it still launched minus some obvious features), Brink got some slack but Bethesda clearly didn’t want the game lingering on until the end of the year or worse.

These days you can’t delay for fear of the competition leap frogging you (or ripping you off). Likewise you can’t launch with, “features to come” and expect everyone to just hang around and wait, things just move too fast and there is just too much competition. You need to hit the ground running, unfortunately it seems, for multiple reasons, that SD tends to hit the ground hard, break both its legs and then spend the next six months recuperating.

(Dormamu) #33

EpicStratagem was
right all along!

Paul Wedgwood, August 15[SUP]th[/SUP], 2009

(Zekariah) #34

[QUOTE=McAfee;396000]REAL disappointment? to who? only you?

BF3 has around 5 months out and it has a healthy community, the Brink community after 5 months was pretty much non-existent.

BF3 will has 3 DLCs scheduled for this year. I personally don’t agree on the amount, but it means the Publisher/Devs are still making money out of the game.

And a patch has been promised, which I hope could come with more priority then the Expansions.

No game is PERFECT, but BF3 is certainly not a failure, maybe you didn’t like it, but I’m sure their Publisher/Devs are very happy with it. And the game has a fairly big community compared to Brink.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I think that if people are as disappointed as that in BF3, there is NO pleasing those people.

The scale to which that game has been created, the continuous changes to strategy needed, and the promise of some real and exciting content and changes to come is beyond what any game, even mainstream, has provided in the Shooter realm. (although GoW3 certainly exceeded in content releases).

As for Brink, there was never that kind of ambition from the beginning. And no loyal fanbase to start with. (not even ET fans were gonna be blind followers). Its probably time to let sleeping dogs lie, or re-invent that dog altogether. I’d still buy a Brink 2, but ambition would have to play a greater role on the development.

(EpicStratagem) #35

Don’t get me wrong. I believed that SD was going to fix the problems. I just wanted to make it positively clear just how much had to be fixed. Several months after the release I looked back and noticed. ****ty textures,sloppy framerate, choppy animation, crappy netcode, abrasive sounding audio, crummy campaign, cinematics, terrible aim mechanics and a heap-load of other game mechanics issues (including an uncompetitive element): DAMN THAT"S A LOT OF **** UPS. I still had faith, but at that point others had forgotten about this little game called Brink that had big dreams and sloppy execution. A few weeks after that and it was clear that SD has shot themselves in the face with a shotgun in terms of reputation.

I will still buy Brink 2 because I fell in love with the fantasy game that they showed to us and I’m curious to see what happens, but I can guarantee that thousands upon thousands will laugh and say “I remember that piece of crap”.

I can only hope that in a parallel universe, Bethesda gave proper funding and time to SD and they unseated the scam that is CoD.

(dazman76) #36

Did… did you just suggest that Valve communicates with their fans? I had geek rage when I saw the HL3 April fool joke. I, and millions of other HL fans are now owed a free “slap me in the face” opportunity with Gabe Newell. He can’t defend himself, and he must not complain throughout the whole event. Style and extent of slap to be decided by the slapper (ooer!). DAMN YOU GABE :slight_smile: Damn you.

(zenstar) #37

I assume you mean this:

That was a fake. Didn’t actually appear on Steam as I understand it (a fake april fools… does that make it real?) so Valve are back to simply being incommunicado re: their games as opposed to being giant trolls (almost as if the entire halflife franchise was building up to a giant troll for hl2 ep3 / hl3).

It seems general communication from publishers is getting less and less frequent except for the smart places that get themselves community managers. I didn’t think SD were too quiet about Brink, but I would have liked them to be more communicative.

EDIT: yep… that image comes from store.steamppowered.com … no, that isn’t a typo. There is an extra P in the url because it’s a fake site that doesn’t belong to valve. It still has the H3 logo there (03 April 2012 10:28 GMT)

(gold163) #38

valve certainly communicates more with their customer base than SD does. Obviously they’ve had their fair share of controversial decisions but a surprising amount of questions from fans are answered by Valve on a regular basis. Furthermore, their games are open to user-generated content. That puts them ahead of a lot of other companies these days by default in my eyes already.

(SockDog) #39

I’d disagree with this, Valve has many means of communicating and working with their fanbase but they’re not as active as SD have always been in forums. Brink did seem to tie their hands, something I guess was both through contractual obligations and a touch of not needing to be told stuff they knew wasn’t quite right.

(.Chris.) #40

Yeah, SD were very vocal during ET:QW’s development and post release, can’t remember what it was like back with W:ET though to be honest.