So much rage, I am expecting to get banned...

(Szakalot) #21

[QUOTE=BrightIs;525797]Don’t think I’ve played this game in a year and not really interested in playing it again.

I liked being a part of alpha and the opportunity to help SD, it was good to see how a game gets developed, but I was hoping an ET style game and the fact that anyone can do objectives removes it from that category.

The feel of the game was a lot different to ET as well.[/QUOTE]

give it another try on release.
I joined in August and the game def. wasn’t ET. But it feels a lot more ETish now.

(Shanks) #22

[QUOTE=Szakalot;525800]give it another try on release.
I joined in August and the game def. wasn’t ET. But it feels a lot more ETish now.[/QUOTE]

No it doesn’t.

(Szakalot) #23

why not? fast, aim-based, lots of teamwork.

Just maps, objectives, polish by now. And all those other mercs back : )

(Hundopercent) #24

[QUOTE=Szakalot;525800]give it another try on release.
I joined in August and the game def. wasn’t ET. But it feels a lot more ETish now.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t play ET very long because i thought it was a downgrade to rtcw. But if ET was a battle of attrition, with mediocre gunplay, and erratic jump spam I’m baffled on how it kept such a strong following.

(Szakalot) #25

mediocre gunplay? maybe etmain, ETpro was nothing like that. Also not sure what you mean by jump spam, bunny hopping through the maps?

(Zenity) #26

I think his point was that this is what he thinks of Dirty Bomb, and he doesn’t think that ET was like that considering that it remained popular for a fairly long time.

Ironically though, ET was exactly like that in the beginning. I thought the gunplay was horrendous (compared to other games I was playing at the time), the most effective dueling tactic was to quickly prone(!) in close combat, and the maps largely were a massive grind where double fullholds were a common result.

Given that this was largely ironed out by the community itself (which however also killed a lot of ET’s unique flavour in my view, and ultimately wasn’t enough to keep the game’s community growing), I can totally understand that some people don’t have a lot of faith in Splash Damage’s ability to create a perfect competitive game. I just choose to trust them (for now) because Dirty Bomb already is a lot better than ET was at release, and this is the first time that they will continuously work on the game after release as well. I think they are smart enough to fix the major issues with competitive play as they arise, while still keeping Dirty Bomb’s unique identity and hopefully make it a success with common gamers, which will be a requirement to keep it alive as an eSport.

I always am the optimistic type though, and nothing is going to change that. I will give Splash Damage the benefit of the doubt, until there is no more room for reasonable doubt.

(Rémy Cabresin) #27

Stop playing public… Makes everything easier :slight_smile:

sigh

(Hundopercent) #28

[QUOTE=Zenity;525867]I think his point was that this is what he thinks of Dirty Bomb, and he doesn’t think that ET was like that considering that it remained popular for a fairly long time.

Ironically though, ET was exactly like that in the beginning. I thought the gunplay was horrendous (compared to other games I was playing at the time), the most effective dueling tactic was to quickly prone(!) in close combat, and the maps largely were a massive grind where double fullholds were a common result.

Given that this was largely ironed out by the community itself (which however also killed a lot of ET’s unique flavour in my view, and ultimately wasn’t enough to keep the game’s community growing), I can totally understand that some people don’t have a lot of faith in Splash Damage’s ability to create a perfect competitive game. I just choose to trust them (for now) because Dirty Bomb already is a lot better than ET was at release, and this is the first time that they will continuously work on the game after release as well. I think they are smart enough to fix the major issues with competitive play as they arise, while still keeping Dirty Bomb’s unique identity and hopefully make it a success with common gamers, which will be a requirement to keep it alive as an eSport.

I always am the optimistic type though, and nothing is going to change that. I will give Splash Damage the benefit of the doubt, until there is no more room for reasonable doubt.[/QUOTE]

You have a lot of faith. If they can’t fix pub play how can they fix comp? Play to win (Loadout cards), map design, excessive spam. These are things comp players look for and i don’t see SD doing much of anything about it.

Chopping up maps isn’t going to fix the problem. You have to take the time and design it correctly.

(Szakalot) #29

play to win - loadout cards : you can’t be serious. The most OP augments there are, like faster reload and bigger AoE on your special ability, are still marginal compared to individual skill.

(riptide) #30

An advantage is an advantage. Regardless of skill. For something to be truly competitive it has to be 100% equal(not situational) or there is rock/paper/scissor. Loadouts don’t fit either and the game would be better without them.

I say this as someone who crafted 2 golds, 2 silver and 3 bronzes of ALL bushwhacker to get a single loadout with kek10 , lockon, spares, and focus. Btw rng loadouts is complete dog**** 43 crafts to get a specific loadout out of 8 possibilities. Don’t forget the 71000+ credits to get there, which doesn’t include the iron crafts.

(Szakalot) #31

[QUOTE=riptide;526176]An advantage is an advantage. Regardless of skill. For something to be truly competitive it has to be 100% equal(not situational) or there is rock/paper/scissor. Loadouts don’t fit either and the game would be better without them.

I say this as someone who crafted 2 golds, 2 silver and 3 bronzes of ALL bushwhacker to get a single loadout with kek10 , lockon, spares, and focus. Btw rng loadouts is complete dog**** 43 crafts to get a specific loadout with 8 possibilities. Don’t forget the 71000+ credits to get there, which doesn’t include the iron crafts.[/QUOTE]

well, tournaments and such will have rules with most likely no-aug loadouts; or a card-drafting system.

Casual pubbing isn’t competitive, its casual, so who cares if someone has +10% this or that, definitely doesn’t make the casual experience P2W, esp. since getting loadouts is EXTREMELY easy. You know that from bronze upwards its all cosmetics right? so you can craft bronzes to get your favorite loadout; will take you 2 days to get anything you want, provided you have crates; which drop like 2/day if you just join to complete missions.

edit: i do agree that there should be a non-RNG way to get the loadout you want

(riptide) #32

[QUOTE=Szakalot;526177]well, tournaments and such will have rules with most likely no-aug loadouts; or a card-drafting system.

Casual pubbing isn’t competitive, its casual, so who cares if someone has +10% this or that, definitely doesn’t make the casual experience P2W, esp. since getting loadouts is EXTREMELY easy. You know that from bronze upwards its all cosmetics right? so you can craft bronzes to get your favorite loadout; will take you 2 days to get anything you want, provided you have crates; which drop like 2/day if you just join to complete missions.

edit: i do agree that there should be a non-RNG way to get the loadout you want[/QUOTE]

I know it hardly matters for casual server. But he was talking about competitive.

I’m also fully aware that bronze to gold is the same except for aesthetics. But it is cheaper to upgrade bad cards than it is to buy new cases. With that in mind there is no way ANYONE could farm what I did in 2 days to get the specific loadout I wanted. It was over 71000 credits in card upgrades alone(if my math is right). I finally got the exact card I wanted which happens to be bronze. Thankfully I don’t give a **** about skins.

(matsy) #33

I really hope that the community doesn’t try and ban things.

The base game needs to be comparable with the comp seen else you alienate new players.

I think ETQW is a prime example of this at points.

(DarkangelUK) #34

[QUOTE=riptide;526176]An advantage is an advantage. Regardless of skill. For something to be truly competitive it has to be 100% equal(not situational) or there is rock/paper/scissor. Loadouts don’t fit either and the game would be better without them.

I say this as someone who crafted 2 golds, 2 silver and 3 bronzes of ALL bushwhacker to get a single loadout with kek10 , lockon, spares, and focus. Btw rng loadouts is complete dog**** 43 crafts to get a specific loadout out of 8 possibilities. Don’t forget the 71000+ credits to get there, which doesn’t include the iron crafts.[/QUOTE]

Take away all the cards and things will still never be equal when there are so many mercs to choose from (eventually), HP, weapons, abilities etc will always be different therefore a team will never be truly equal, so that negates that point.

(riptide) #35

Sorry, that does not negate the point. You can add unbalance to an unbalanced situation and it does have an effect.

(DarkangelUK) #36

It’s not ‘unbalanced’, it’s asynchronous, there’s a difference where one suggests the other has an obvious upper hand and the other means differences in gear, kit, abilities etc. The point is negated

(Szakalot) #37

[QUOTE=riptide;526179]I know it hardly matters for casual server. But he was talking about competitive.

I’m also fully aware that bronze to gold is the same except for aesthetics. But it is cheaper to upgrade bad cards than it is to buy new cases. With that in mind there is no way ANYONE could farm what I did in 2 days to get the specific loadout I wanted. It was over 71000 credits in card upgrades alone(if my math is right). I finally got the exact card I wanted which happens to be bronze. Thankfully I don’t give a **** about skins.[/QUOTE]

don’t buy crates, just wait for them to drop. they def. drop frequently enough to get whatever you want.

and the whole discussion is moot for comp which will make its own rules.

(Zenity) #38

To be honest I think that even for amateur competitive gaming, the loadouts simply don’t matter. If people feel it’s a problem at some point, then we can cross that bridge and I’m sure that Splash Damage will abide (based on what they’ve been saying so far, they seem open to having special loadout rules for competitive play if necessary). Worst case scenario is that Splash Damage is stubborn and competitions will have to agree on loadout rules themselves, which wouldn’t be a drama either.

Pro level competitive gaming, if we ever get there, will certainly get special privileges anyway, with all-unlocked accounts etc.

(riptide) #39

[QUOTE=Szakalot;526187]don’t buy crates, just wait for them to drop. they def. drop frequently enough to get whatever you want.

and the whole discussion is moot for comp which will make its own rules.[/QUOTE]

They most definitely do not. Do you even comprehend how many lead cards I have had and went through. i.e. crates i needed to craft all the way from lead to 2 golds, 2 silvers and 3 bronzes to get 1 specific loadout? I am only buying crates when I have no cards to upgrade. I unboxed nothing higher than 2 bronzes since bushwhacker was released. Those are cards that I crafted from lead all the way up.

I actively pursued crafting 1 specific loadout with all my crate drops + extra credits, only saving credits to upgrade. I’m not sure how you missed the 71,000+ credits for UPGRADING cards for one specific loadout. That’s the 1000 per bronze, 2000 per silver and 4000 per gold cost only. Silver takes 4 bronzes and Gold takes 4 silver (16 bronzes). That doesn’t include the 500 credits for lead to iron. To kind of balance out the handful of irons and bronzes I uncrated but included in those numbers.

The way I did it is absolutely the most efficient cost/time ratio. I was just extremely unlucky. Apparently so much so, that you can’t even understand. Waiting for crates would have just had me sitting on credits doing nothing without the loadout I wanted and unable to upgrade cards because I had none to upgrade and would amass credits faster than crates drop. Remember it takes 3 lead for iron which is 500 credits. How often do you get 3 crates before 500 credits?

As far as Competition goes, well we don’t know what options we have for mods and servers. I mean they mentioned custom maps recently in the Nexon + Neil stream and it sounded like that was a long ways off. So who knows what kind of control we will have. There isn’t even a proper demo or spectator system yet. So lets not get ahead of ourselves in what and more importantly when/if that will be available.

(BioSnark) #40

you can see the loadout card of the person who killed you. you will be able to tell if they aren’t default. yes, obviously imperfect but it’s there. previous unreal engines had demos so I have to imagine ue3 has the feature. unreal engines, being popular, are obviously already hacked to pieces.