Snipers....

(RectalTerror) #41

Totally, and considering that every map only offers 2, max 3 different paths to key targets, we don’t even have the choice of picking a path to avoid snipers.

Plus it wouldn’t be hard to provide server ability to forbid snipers (the only problem being sparks, she’s useful but would be every sniper’s way in non-sniping servers if she was allowed). Snipers could still be ruining normal servers the same way.

(Your worst knifemare.) #42

Luckily if you do manage to somehow flank the sniper, ive noticed good and bad ones lack awareness of their surroundings which make them easy kills.

(Press E) #43

Eh, not like we have much else to talk about atm, so I don’t mind lol

(Meerkats) #44

Pretty much. This forum is in sad, sad state and OP isn’t wrong. Snipers do not mesh with DB’s core gameplay. It’s fine to punish over aggression, but DB fundamentally encourages aggression and snipers are way too effective at punishing… just about everything really, and doing it all from safety. Do you want to encourage aggressive play or not? Cause right now, a good sniper essentially forces opponents to be passive. Hell, snipers hardly even receive flinch while being shot so they can still retaliate while getting lit the ■■■■ up. It’s pretty retarded the number of times I’ve dropped three bodies and a head into a sniper, and while still full auto laying into them, still lose cause they like 130 flick OHKO me or whatev.

Holy ■■■■ SD, please give a shit.

(geefunkster) #45

Totally agree with this but due to the at least moderate skill requirement for a sniper to be truly game changing, I find them less obnoxious than Phantom, turrets and thermonuclear pancakes.

(B_Montiel) #46

Giving the Pdp a buff with 1.0 was absolutely not necessary. Even though it does not 1 htk, it’s further worse now, back to the railgun state it was couple years ago.

And well, snipers, pretty much useless kills in pretty much 99% of players hands. Sitting far far back giving no actual help to their team. A good sniper is in fact a strong aggression provider, given he does not use his own team as a shield. But you never see those anymore in public games.

(Press E) #47

The thing about phantom, turrets, mines, etc is that they can be countered with skill, regardless of how skilled the enemy wielding them is. Phantom is easy to spot if you pay attention, turrets reset if you move in and out of cover, and mines are very predictable. They may not be the best things in DB, but at least it’s not too difficult to avoid them.
The problem is that there’s no proper counter against a decent sniper other than just hiding or having an even better sniper. And considering leaving cover is pretty much a mandatory requirement to win a match, that’s not really an option. It’s good that the skill requirement for them is pretty high, but once you reach that, you can lock down a map more effectively than pretty much anyone else.

With mines, turrets and phantoms, dying to them is always partially your fault, same with almost everything else in DB. You pushed when you shouldn’t, you missed your shot, etc. Whereas with snipers, it’s mostly RNG of whether or not they can get a shot on you. Considering snipers can cover mandatory crossing paths, there’s no way to just avoid them, you’re forced to face them. You can try to dodge, but ultimately whether you live or die is just a gamble that’s almost completely out of your hands.

It’s also worth noting that every weapon is subject to luck. On lower damage weapons, luck really doesn’t affect them that much. You might get a lucky headshot with the hochfir, but unless you can do that consistently, you’re not going to be a match for anyone. On the other hand, high damage weapons are much more affected by luck. If someone happens to get a lucky shot on your head with a sniper rifle, you’re dead, and you have no chance to fight back. Considering how many times I’ve seen someone spam the PDP, miss 10 shots in a row, then hit one headshot and instantly kill their enemy, it’s definitely not in the spirit of DB

(RectalTerror) #49

plus, mines have been seriously nerved, anyway. Mines used to be a threat even when you spotted them, because shooting them could still be killing teammates & deployables, and now not only that’s gone, but mines can now also be used against the enemy. Gone are the days you would drop a mine on a health station & ensure it would be gone, possibly along with some players.
So now the only way to die from a mine now is because you’re in a hurry, and thus indeed, it’s now our own fault.

(Press E) #50

With how ineffective mines are as traps, I was more referring to the throw-and-shoot strategy everyone likes to complain about.
It can get the occasional kill, but proxy has such a low amount of HP that she’s pretty likely to die too. If you see her running after you, we all know what she’s planning, hence the predictability. Either shoot her, get between her and the mine, or just back up.

But either way, it’s just an example of other abilities in DB vs sniper rifles and how avoidable they are