Snipers

(Ajax's Spear) #21

I’m glad they took out OHKs (for most circumstances). But that isn’t to say that someone still won’t be able to play effectively as a “sniper.” Ranged shots and tactical “camping” will still have their place in situations, like defending objectives and general area denial.

(trigg3r) #22

i wonder why is it that we see the red/blue aura sometimes and sometimes not, maybe is a perk or something, or they are showing different builts of the game in the same video idk

(DouglasDanger) #23

A lot of these interviews have “gameplay” that is really a bunch of clips edited together. I think the aura thing is related to fire teams. Or it could be an optional thing. Wait and see I guess.

(Apoc) #24

[quote=Kryptyk Samurai;267206]Bwaaahhhaaaahahahha, so you’re telling me that when you use an assault rifle you are invincible? Dude, you should join a professional gaming circuit…you’d own…oh wait sorry, that’s “pwn”.
[/quote]

Eugh…i was exagerating to try and get my point across, yet you seem to have ignored the point and just analysed my statement literally.

No im not saying im invincible…of course. Not even close, that wasnt even near to what i meant. What i was trying to say, is that people moan about being killed on quake wars by close quarter snipers. My argument is that it takes a huge amount of skill to become effective with a sniper indoors, and that the people you are moaning at for not using an assault rifle will definately be very good with one.
For instance, on pro mod, you never hear people complaining about how low skill it is for someone to bring a sniper indoors is, as it is very very hard to be effective with one, and everyone knows it. It is only those who havent tried it that presume snipers are really easy weapons to use and that these people headshoting them at medium to close range are just using an overpowered weapon.

(Kryptyk Samurai) #25

[QUOTE=Apoc;267225]Eugh…i was exagerating to try and get my point across, yet you seem to have ignored the point and just analysed my statement literally.
[/QUOTE]

I was also being sarcastic in my response…I really don’t laugh like that. Anyways, I believe quality sniper play is very commendable. Quality meaning being ON THE MOVE and using it almost like any other weapon. In gaming that is a quality, skilled player IMO. That-being-said, I did check out your montages that you linked in your previous post…and your skills are significantly better than mine (I have no problem recognizing talent and I’ve actually never played RTQW myself so I haven’t reached even noob level in that game). Like I said above, your use of the sniper rifle in BLOPs is IMO “legit” gameplay. I’m horrible with the sniper rifle in BLOPs. Halo (any of them), that’s a different story…I’m not bad.

Players who take the time to learn the nuances of any weapon in a game should be given props. When I quick scope I admit it’s luck…for me that is. I have friends in many games who understand the mechanics associated with it and the how the hit boxes work in those particular games. As an example, I saw in your BLOPs montage that the hit box seems to be to the left of the character. Just about every final kill cam I’ve watched in BLOPs with a sniper, the aiming reticle is not even on the character being targetted. I never understood the hit boxes in BLOPs.

However, “snipers” who camp with them in a corner are buggers and should not be commended for their “skills”. You even said yourself that you don’t mind the way SD is handling snipers. You also play ETQW so understand the core team gameplay style. Others who have not experienced it will get frusterated very quickly until they adapt or quit.

(Seyu) #26

Just tried quick-scoping in the Crysis 2 demo. Got a 6-6 and a 8-10, wouldn’t say its difficult. But, yea, the magazines carry more than a single bullet and you can attach a reflex sight to the rifle, which I didn’t.

(Apoc) #27

[quote=Kryptyk Samurai;267239]

However, “snipers” who camp with them in a corner are buggers and should not be commended for their “skills”. You even said yourself that you don’t mind the way SD is handling snipers. You also play ETQW so understand the core team gameplay style. Others who have not experienced it will get frusterated very quickly until they adapt or quit.[/quote]

Indeed, ETQW is a fantastic game due to its teamplay element, where if there is a sniper being annoying and sitting on a hill, someone will switch and counter sniper or ask someone to, or will find an alternate way to take that sniper out of the game (not very hard with stationary snipers). Due to brinks small close quarter enviroment (from what iv seen) it looks like there wont be any sniper camping anyway, and that the medium damage rifles are far more suited to Brink, where a light may get up high above the battle and try and finish off wounded enemies to help the team.
I also think brinks aproach to snipers is very good, as unlike with other games, it gives an oportunity to respond. Iv always hated just being one shot killed, theres nothing you can do about it. At least with brink if you get hit and go down to 30% health from a sniper, you can start evasive manuvers to get into cover, or try to quickly counterfire, or at the very least, look around and see who is killing you (no one likes being killed from behind)

(coolstory) #28

I like what valve did with tf2 snipers…they seem balanced imo.

(hobodefcon) #29

monday night combat makes playing sniper pretty fun. You can quick scope and customize it so you can shoot faster and have a bigger clip. Headshots are OHK though. Not imbalanced though, slow classes that are most a risk from being shot in the head have a weapon that can do long range damage or use the map to avoid line of sight. Just an example.

Im curious if the sniper doesnt ohk in brink, does it 2 hit kill and if so how fast can u shoot those 2 shots.

(Apples) #30

With brink’s speed, instakill sniper would have been overpowered, and what’s up with the “OHK” lately, are we in a CoD fanboiz forum or what?

(Nail) #31

in games where your e-peen is measured by K/D ratio, the snipers think they are the pwnzers, hide behind crate, wait for victim to turn crosshair red, shoot, yell “BoomHeadshot” and show of your “leet skillz” on the leaderboard, doesn’t matter the game sucks, they get their instant gratification

(Breo) #32

[QUOTE=Joe999;267151]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/something-for-brink/711463

^^ finally! snipers, go play elsewhere! :D[/QUOTE]

@2:07 wasn’t that a 1 hit kill with the sniper rifle?

(Weapuh) #33

I heard from someone @ PAX that head-shots with a Barrett even ohk mediums… balancing still maybe?

(LyndonL) #34

With noob players running around concentrating on trying to get a handle on the controls how would these people know that their “OHK” wasn’t after the enemy had already taken fire from another teamplayer?

EDIT: I don’t mean noob in a derrogatory sense either.

(Wraith) #35

Unbalanced maybe but apparently had only 12 bullets and one mother of a reload time.

(Herandar) #36

So no sniper rifles in the game except for the .50 cal??

(Kodey) #37

I don’t care if there not one hit kill as long as they at least have them and actually have more than one or two rifles, I’v always liked to snipe in games and no I don’t camp I run around set up kill someone then move again and I’m not even that good I just enjoy sniping. And no one hit kills is fine, like borderlands it can take 2 or 3 hits even in the head to kill someone and I’v never had a problem with that, I heard someone saying its more to “soften” them up for your team mates and thats fine as long as theres at least an assist cause it would kinda be unfair if say I shot someone down to 5 hp and someone runs up and finishes them with a AR and they get all the credit. So as long as they balance it out and there not biased against snipers out right I will have no problem what so ever. I was very turned off by the prospect of no sniper rifles to the point i wont preorder it cause I would like to see how they handle it.

(1234567) #38

I could be wrong here, but from the limited footage we’ve seen of each map, it doesn’t seem like snipers would have many places to camp.

(DouglasDanger) #39

Sniping is terrible. It sounds like Brink is really going to limit snipers, so hopefully that will work out. There is one perk that counters snipers, and I think there is a built in counter too. The perk/ability is called combat intuition–

And one of the interviews/impressions things mentioned something about highlighting enemies as red and teammates as blue when they are far away, with the objectives being yellow. That sounds like an anti-camper/anti-sniper thing right there, built into the game from the minute you start playing.

I’ve been looking for a link to this for a while, I remember seeing it linked in some thread on this forum, but I can’t find it. I think I even gushed about it when I read it.

edit-- here we go

(1234567) #40

I’d imagine the firing rate on the snipers is pretty low.