Skymap performance

(Joe999) #1

hi,

what is preferrable for a skymap: a giant cube around the whole map or small rooms and skymap textures there where they are needed. i tried both and ended up with heavy leak searching in the second case, so i’d rather stick with the giant cube. what is better? especially for performance?

thanks in advance.

(kamikazee) #2

I believe it would be better if you would use skymap textures, since the giant cube way could spawn lots of portals. More portals -> more leafs -> larger BSP.

Allso, if the visibility checks would go wrong, the game would draw parts of the map you normally can’t see from the place you’re standing, but can be seen according to vis calculation. Drawing unseen parts (aka overdraw) == performance loss. If it would have serious amount of overdraw (read: it tries to ‘overdraw’ huge outside areas) you 'll get a huge performance decrease.

If you have problems regarding leaks, make sure you use enough detail brushes and check the solid hull.

NOTE: I could say some wrong things here, but probably someone will correct me in that case… :nag:

(Joe999) #3

thanks, i’ll keep that in mind

(jonepain) #4

SKY-MAP solutions offer scalability and flexibility that enable TI customers to go to market with a variety of new compelling handsets across all mass-market product segments," stated Remi El-Ouazzane, general manager of Texas Instruments 2.5G Business."TI is pleased that SKY is offering complete software solutions on TI’s “LoCosto” and OMAP-Vox platforms that allow our mutual customers to better compete in the wireless market.

(jonepain) #5

SKY-MAP solutions offer scalability and flexibility that enable TI customers to go to market with a variety of new compelling handsets across all mass-market product segments,stated Remi El-Ouazzane,general manager of Texas Instruments 2.5G Business.TI is pleased that SKY is offering complete software solutions on TI’s “LoCosto” and OMAP-Vox platforms that allow our mutual customers to better compete in the wireless market.