Since realism doesn't matter in games let me propose a few things

(Sairdontis) #1

Snipers:

Many players that I have played this game with seem to play sniper for a number of reasons. One of the more unknown reasons they play sniper is because they can attack other players from greater distance with enhanced aim which by itself is not unusual . When it starts to become unusual is when they play because they realized that they are a small target to shoot at while their target thanks to their scope is a much larger target to hit. So in this game with the damage afforded to the sniper rifle is very high. So lets look at this closer. In reality a sniper has to take into account many things to make a successful shot and hit their target (examples: wind speed/ direction, target movement, TTT (time to target/distance), breathing control, re-chambering of a round for a missed shot, noise of the shot being detected, muzzle bloom (fire), etc) these of course are not in this game. The only things that are retained in this game is the damage (to a point), the enhanced aim, and presenting a much smaller target to your enemies.

So where am I going with this ? Many of these real life things are left out for a more simple and streamlined game play. So for the sniper what I propose is this to keep this game even . Since the sniper presents a much smaller target to shoot while retaining an aiming advantage make it so any returned fire (regular gun fire not abilities) that hits the sniper mirrors the damage of their own rifle with the same headshot modifier.

Phantom:

Melee ghost known as Phantom enjoys technology that is not yet available to combat soldiers in that he can become invisible and to some thanks to an audio glitch makes no sound either while cloaked (this may be fixed sometime). Now we know that invisibility of this type is not realistic (yet?) in this day and age so it allows for some leeway when it comes to tuning this major advantage and allowing for counterplay to this that is even the power of first shot on a target. The technology employed to make phantom silent (maybe?) and invisible comes at a cost to personal protection in that his hit points while cloaked before that of half that of the lowest light armor merc. This would allow for the same amount of risk of being hit as doing the hitting from a advantaged position. Now I know what many would say about this , "what about Phantom going against medium and high armor target players and not having the speed of a light armor in close combat maybe a sort of melee aimpunch added to his melee attack? This would of course need to be monitored closely to ensure that it did not removed the risk of getting that close hit on the more armored and therefore slower target.

(kopyright) #2

Soooo… if two snipers shoot at each other you too don’t deal the damage of your own gun but that of your opponent’s instead all of a sudden?

Also, there are a couple of weapons which are not bound to snipers but still allow for precise mid-to-long range attacks (Blish, Stark AR) but have a higher RPM which allows them to land more shots in the same time against snipers, though with a ridiculous amount of damage all of a sudden.

(Kradser) #3

Since when is Phantom a melee merc? I know that many plays him like he has no other weapons than his katana, but that is just one way of playing him, the fact of the matter is, to play a good Phantom, you would want to sneak into flanking your enemies and shoot them from angles outside of their view, use his stealth for getting close to enemy deployables to use the EMP charge to shut them down for a short period of time, to make it easier for your team to move ahead, these are just some of the things Phantom can be used for that is not just, cloak run in and use katana and get killed.

(bgyoshi) #4

If we’re upset with a lack of realism then can we make it so that I can pick up enemy explosives and eat them safely? That’d be awesome

(henki000) #5

In reality a sniper has to take into account many things to make a successful shot and hit their target (examples: wind speed/ direction, target movement, TTT (time to target/distance), breathing control, re-chambering of a round for a missed shot, noise of the shot being detected, muzzle bloom (fire), etc) these of course are not in this game.

Interesting post, I would really like to see some of those causations balancing rifles. Perhaps even Rhino could be one shotted, if aiming becomes skill. Scoped aim could sway more and there could be distance marks in grid. Making aiming very different experience. I dont believe mirrowing the damage output would be good idea. Sounds very drastic, but drastic measures are needed.

EDIT: this sway mechanic got me a idea. What if sprinting/moving affects swaying? You need to catch breath to reduce swaying. If you are completely still, you need to shoot your third breath (for best sway) and after that aim slightly sways more.

What comes to Phantom, I dont think he needs a health nerf. Instead buff his speed or make him more invisible (no visual or audio cues). I still believe Phantom is bad pick for competetive 5v5 enviroment.

(Press E) #6

I hate snipers and phantom too but jesus, let’s not be cruel lol.

Do you know how easy it is to just spray an area with the hoch, even at range? Now imagine 1 or 2 bullets from that instantly killing you. Even if you have some superhuman reaction time, good luck with that lol. It would basically make snipers completely useless.

Also giving phantom 40 HP while cloaked isn’t practical. With his old cloak sure, where you could directly control your visibility depending on how much you moved, but with this one where it can be fairly easy to spot a phantom most of the time it’s a pretty bad idea.