Shower Thoughts: Guardian's Non Glove Healing Ability

(TheStrangerous) #1

People been suggesting her revive bubble to heal teammates.
But how about taking the idea, and putting it though a different angle?

What if that drone was a mini-health station? Of course balanced out, since we don’t wanna put Aura out of business, it would have the healing radius that of a ammo station, and heal less health or something.

(Ptiloui) #2

The drone might be too op if he can heal while disabling projectiles.

What about selecting the drone mode before throwing it, as the same way javelin choose her rocket mode ?

I once proposed another idea : that every projectile disabled make the drone pulse a heal, like a quick pulse from Phoenix, healing about 20-30hp each time.

(TheStrangerous) #3

@Ptiloui said:
What about selecting the drone mode before throwing it, as the same way javelin choose her rocket mode ?

Good thinking, like Vaccinator from TF2!
Although, due to short deploy time, it would be underperforming, I fear.
Maybe also allow to change modes after it’s thrown?

(Sorotia) #4

Make her like the healing version of Javelin?

Maybe a small pulse every few seconds…like maybe 5-10 health every few seconds.

Not much but would be some healing and also heal herself so she doesn’t need a health regen passive?

(JJMAJR) #5

Why should Guardian’s revive have to complement a healing ability?

I mean, if it either revives or heals, it’s a medic to my book.

(NexDroid) #6

Actually I like the idea that drone would perform like weaker aura’s heal station. Just increase its cd and make it slower health regen than regular heal station and it would be perfectly fine. Even now drone doesn’t last too long so I see no problem with it being op.

(CombatMist) #7

No and NO!
Why cant people get it through their heads that a guardian is not a full on medic but a hybrid! She is 1/2 medic and 1/2 support. Accept it and stop trying to force a heal on her when her base stats are already through the roof and she has assault rifles. She prevents damage not heals it. Its simple. Stop the nuke and if people still die revive them. Defensive plans:
A: avoid damage
B: heal when damage
C: revive dead

She skips right from A -> C. She has the best anti nuke A and best Revive C so she can skip B all together. It makes sense and has synergy.

The only not op way to give guardian any sustain is to replace unshakable with tough/looter. If that is some how not good enough maybe just maybe maybe give those revived tough for 10 seconds to help them get back on their feet. If that is some how still not good enough give guardian tough for 10 seconds after reviving. Anything beyond those is pushing her to full on medic which is not what she is and it would start stealing the spot of other medics. Even giving those she revives tough for 10 seconds is really pushing sawbonez out of his spot. Just imagine if it was a super tough that activates after 1 second for 10 seconds. Thats saving you 9 seconds for regen for 36 hp. She is faster, smaller hit box like kira and has assault rifles if you give her any 1/2 decent heal sawbonez would be not played. I dont expect any buffing of bionic pulse at all and only her getting access to looter/tough on gen 3 cards. Thats it. Stop thinking of her as a full on medic. She is not and wont fit no matter how hard you try to push her in it. As JJmajr said medics dont need to be tied to both heal + revive. Guardian shatters the medic mold with revive + damage prevention + assault rifles. People really need to start thinking divergently and consider the possibilities. If she healing instead of revived I guarantee people would have the same argument of “not a medic”, “worthless”, “waste of player slot” ect ect ect. Just wait till we get a merc with a heal and no revive. Its only a matter of time.

(hurgya) #8

@CombatMist said:
She skips right from A -> C. She has the best anti nuke A and best Revive C so she can skip B all together. It makes sense and has synergy.

The problem is, she doesn’t have the best revive. In most cases Sparps overshadows her by far. The one and only situation in which she is best is when all your team gets downed at the same time. Which is probably caused by some explosives, so you should’ve prevented it with the sky shield in the first place. And her abilities have a remarkable anti-synergy the other way around, too; the more you charge bionic pulse, the more CD it will have, so you will mostly use tap-revives, which are terrible with no proper healing ability. Not to mention, in most cases the simple dafib pads will do just fine (the bonus range is nice, but isn’t that supposed to be the thing of Sparps?)

I agree, though, she is not hated, because she is bad overall, but because the misleading labeling of her as a medic, and not well thought out kit.

Honestly, she seems like the devs were thinking: “Let’s not make sky shield too annoying and OP! But then it’s not strong enough to be the single ability of a merc. The last merc we released gives ammo, so we need something else.”
It could’ve been some spotting, heal or being an engineer, and she would feel off just as much. (maybe not with engineer, since Turtle has a protective ability too)

(Ptiloui) #9

Just adjust the CD of her revive ability on number of players revived instead of time spent charging it and she will be perfect. Like 1 sec CD for 1 person, 3s for 2, 5s for 3, and so on.

(TheStrangerous) #10

I’m really torn on Guardian…

I appreciate the anti projectile drone ability, but her revive glove is underwhelming, and makes me wish I’d pick Sparks instead. If guardian had repairing kit instead of glove, making her complete engineer, I’d be alright. Again, so much conflicting feelings… Much like with Phantom’s role…

(CombatMist) #11

The problem is, she doesn’t have the best revive. In most cases Sparps overshadows her by far. The one and only situation in which she is best is when all your team gets downed at the same time. Which is probably caused by some explosives, so you should’ve prevented it with the sky shield in the first place. And her abilities have a remarkable anti-synergy the other way around, too; the more you charge bionic pulse, the more CD it will have, so you will mostly use tap-revives, which are terrible with no proper healing ability. Not to mention, in most cases the simple dafib pads will do just fine (the bonus range is nice, but isn’t that supposed to be the thing of Sparps?)

I agree, though, she is not hated, because she is bad overall, but because the misleading labeling of her as a medic, and not well thought out kit.

Honestly, she seems like the devs were thinking: “Let’s not make sky shield too annoying and OP! But then it’s not strong enough to be the single ability of a merc. The last merc we released gives ammo, so we need something else.”
It could’ve been some spotting, heal or being an engineer, and she would feel off just as much. (maybe not with engineer, since Turtle has a protective ability too)

Guardian the revive queen
The numbers done lie though. For the first few weeks guardian was released I analyzed my cmm recent match details. Of those literally 90% of the time a guardian had the most revives and revive sprees. Guardians who had at least 3 revives had revive spree about 50% of the time. A non guardian “medic” got revive spree about 20% of the time and most revives/sprees about 10% of the time. When beat out by other “medics” (who need to get their act together apparently) its was phoenix. Sparks was next after that.

Bionic pulse is extremely underrated but as the numbers will show it works. Like phoenix you need to manage how much hp to give vs the cool down and make adjustments based on changing conditions. I use the Hu52 card and can give a 100 hp revive with 1 second of charge which I can do as im getting in range with only a 4 second cool down which is reasonable. Consider that bionic pulse can be charged/held indefinitely while running/jumping. This allows her to pre charge as getting in range and jump around the corner to revive. That is much harder for a sparks to do (possible but harder).

(hurgya) #12

@CombatMist said:
Guardian the revive queen
The numbers done lie though. For the first few weeks guardian was released I analyzed my cmm recent match details. Of those literally 90% of the time a guardian had the most revives and revive sprees. Guardians who had at least 3 revives had revive spree about 50% of the time. A non guardian “medic” got revive spree about 20% of the time and most revives/sprees about 10% of the time. When beat out by other “medics” (who need to get their act together apparently) its was phoenix. Sparks was next after that.

Bionic pulse is extremely underrated but as the numbers will show it works. Like phoenix you need to manage how much hp to give vs the cool down and make adjustments based on changing conditions. I use the Hu52 card and can give a 100 hp revive with 1 second of charge which I can do as im getting in range with only a 4 second cool down which is reasonable. Consider that bionic pulse can be charged/held indefinitely while running/jumping. This allows her to pre charge as getting in range and jump around the corner to revive. That is much harder for a sparks to do (possible but harder).

I meant competitive play. People focus their fire and actually gib enemies there. Also in casual there is +1 player/team, which helps quite a lot in medic scores.

(CombatMist) #13

@hurgya said:

I meant competitive play. People focus their fire and actually gib enemies there. Also in casual there is +1 player/team, which helps quite a lot in medic scores.

My bad. Yes im unsure of guardians value for ranked. The more players the more value she is both to counter nukes, mass rez and supplement roles.

With ranked only having 5v5 it would be hard to fit in guardian without a very coordinated group that all take mercs to compliment each other. With only 5 it would be hard to just throw in guardian. Since as always you should have a primary medic, engineer and fire support and that only leaves 2 spots for a guardian. She would either steal the slot of 2nd medic or 2nd dps. So that could be really tough. With 6 players in cmm its much easier to fit her in without problems.