Should Shotgun's Spray Pattern randomize while jumping?

(watsyurdeal) #1

Just a solution to fix bunny hopping Proxies, or bunny hopping shotgunners in general. Have the Star Pattern for the Spread randomize, so the pellets go all over the place while in the air.

(GatoCommodore) #2

@watsyurdeal said:
Just a solution to fix bunny hopping Proxies, or bunny hopping shotgunners in general. Have the Star Pattern for the Spread randomize, so the pellets go all over the place while in the air.

this is good idea, if you walljump shotgun to the face sometimes you miss by only a pixel or something and the enemy arent getting any damage

at least with this the walljump shotgun to the face wont one hit kill anymore but just hit enemies

Doesn’t it already increase the spread by a large amount when you jump, though? I don’t pay attention to it because I rarely use shotguns and I’m too busy getting pissed off at the Auras and Proxys who kill me while playing on a pogo stick. Honestly, I think that’s the only thing in terms of mercs, abilities, or weapons that makes me mad. Corner camping Rhinos, nuclear Proxy pancakes, Vassili on Chapel, Nader spam, Thunder concussions, not finishing a Phoenix, double time reload jams, Javelin popping around a corner and wiping out a full spawn, melee only Phantoms, etc. NOTHING makes me as mad as bunny hopping shotguns. I agree with this and would support a change.

(Sorotia) #4

@Wintergreen said:
Doesn’t it already increase the spread by a large amount when you jump, though? I don’t pay attention to it because I rarely use shotguns and I’m too busy getting pissed off at the Auras and Proxys who kill me while playing on a pogo stick. Honestly, I think that’s the only thing in terms of mercs, abilities, or weapons that makes me mad. Corner camping Rhinos, nuclear Proxy pancakes, Vassili on Chapel, Nader spam, Thunder concussions, not finishing a Phoenix, double time reload jams, Javelin popping around a corner and wiping out a full spawn, melee only Phantoms, etc. NOTHING makes me as mad as bunny hopping shotguns. I agree with this and would support a change.

I wouldn’t say huge, but you also have to consider this is usually done in close range as well so the spread doesn’t have much time to spread beyond the crosshairs…so it’s not a huge impact.

(bgyoshi) #5

Spray patterns should be random in pubs anyway, jumping or not

People only care about spray patterns in comp and last time I checked, shotguns are unusable in Ranked. Am I wrong??

(watsyurdeal) #6

@bgyoshi said:
Spray patterns should be random in pubs anyway, jumping or not

People only care about spray patterns in comp and last time I checked, shotguns are unusable in Ranked. Am I wrong??

Yea but that’s because they’re balanced horribly, but that’s a whole other discussion to unpack.

But no, spray patterns should not be random, there should be a certain level of consistency so you can figure out the rules of the guns. Like firing in bursts for example to control spread, or firing a shot and waiting to land accurate headshots with the Grandeur.

This would just be another rule on that, waiting till you reach the peak of your jump to fire an accurate shot.

(bgyoshi) #7

@watsyurdeal said:

But no, spray patterns should not be random, there should be a certain level of consistency so you can figure out the rules of the guns. Like firing in bursts for example to control spread, or firing a shot and waiting to land accurate headshots with the Grandeur.

I’ve never understood that. The rule of shotguns is stay close and fire to avoid losing damage from pellet spread. Shotguns should nerf themselves over distance via semi random pellet spread. Example:

Pellets spread randomly but cannot be tighter than x radius after z1 meters or wider than y radius before z2 meters. That way shooting far is pointless and shooting close isn’t randomly awful. The actual pattern of the spread is irrelevant if you’re shooting in close range.

Spread is only relevant when you have to min/max distance (like in competition) because everyone is so good at that skill level that getting in close enough to hit with all pellets is impossible.

All that non-random spread does is encourage bad players to shotgun snipe, and it’s kinda not the point of a shotgun anyway. I know this game isn’t realistic but making a shotgun shoot with rifle accuracy is as bad of an idea as turning a pistol into a sniper rifle.

(watsyurdeal) #8

The only real way to fix that is increase the number of pellets, so it spreads out the damage over an area, so a single pellet might as well be tickling someone. That and what you described is not possible to program without some serious problems arising.

(bgyoshi) #9

At this point, perhaps. But they already calculate shotgun pellet damage. I think they all have 8 pellets except one, which has 7. 00 Buck shells house 9 pellets, so the current amount of pellets in each shotgun shot are fine. I don’t think governing spread radius min/maxes would cause problems just because of a random spread pattern. Pellets are just particles with damage being calculated on hit scan (I think DB is hit scan?). It already does this calculation, all that changing the spread from set to random would do is make pellets hit different spots. TF2 did it just fine, they even made a toggle switch to turn random shotgun spread on and off.

Remember, you’re just randomizing the spray pattern, not the damage area.

(watsyurdeal) #10

I think the question is whether a meat shot to the body or the head should be an instant kill, my vote is on headshots, and only vs 120 hp, 110, and 90 hp mercs. So Remburg, Hollunds, and Ahnuld. And they’re 11 pellets I think, I’ll come up with numbers later.

(bgyoshi) #11

Yeah you’re right, 11 pellets and one gun is 10. That’s still fine.

I believe the 11s are 88 damage for 8 damage per pellet, and the 10 is 9 damage per pellet for 90 damage. Headshot multiplier on all guns is 2, except sniper rifles which are now slightly higher due to bodyshot nerf. That’s fine and doesn’t need to change.