Shaders don't emit Light in Doom3

(MrFiend) #1

Heya,
I am new to making maps in Doom3, but not new to mapping in general. I made a test map to toy around with the textures, and I’ve found that none of the shaders/models that should emit light (example: gottubelight, or swinginglight_round (not exact name)) don’t emit light in game. I have to put in a light entity, but I don’t know how to set up light projection.
D3Editor has been recommended, but:

1. Linux is my main OS, and the D3Editor is Windows only.
  2. Tried Doom3 in WINE, it does not install properly.
  3. Tried using the D3Editor on my WindowsXP partition; it bugs the hell out.
    I would follow the guides for D3Editor, but Netradiant doesn’t have some of the same menus.
    Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

(kamikazee) #2

Say, did you bother asking at the Doom3World forums? I know you need to register at yet another place, yet they have a great collection of mapping lore.

Also, don’t forget to check Modwiki.

(MrFiend) #3

I did try to ask over at Doom3World, but I don’t have an account. I tried to sign up for an account, and it told me that “Use of this e-mail account is not allowed.” So, I checked the FAQ, which said to contact an admin. The only problem is that it didn’t give any contact info for an admin. I was able to find an e-mail tied to the site, but it came back as undeliverable. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have been looking over that site, but still haven’t found anything of use.

Thanks for the reply though.

(Nail) #4

not sure if this will help

http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorials/doom_3_editor_setup.htm

(MrFiend) #5

I’ve checked the Kat’s Bits tutorials, which are for the D3Editor. I do have a Windows XP partition, and I did set it up to where the D3Editor doesn’t crash my system. However, I had the same problem; the light shaders won’t emit light. Is that just the case now with Doom 3? Are light entities the only way to add light to a map now?

Thanks for the reply.