SERVER RULES: Casual vs Veteran

(Kendle) #21

Yay, still can’t get a game. There are 6 people NOT on the one full server, but they’re on the VIP server that my £90 isn’t good enough to get an invite to. :slight_smile:

(rookie1) #22

what if an auto balance on xp score was made temporarily ?

(Hundopercent) #23

Because XP doesn’t really mean anything in any FPS. Just means you played more games than the other guy. You can still be completely terrible and have a ton of EXP.

It’s humorous that you’re trying to further separate the population in an already barren alpha. Without shuffle, teams could stack just by how people join the server and you can’t switch sides unless the other team goes spec. You need to invite more players into the alpha, preferably NA so we can actually get some games in during the week.

We’ve lost a chunk of our higher caliber population because of the poor map design, movement, and inaccurate/random shooting. Perhaps if you reduced spread/recoil, removed White Chapel from the rotation, and fixed movement we would get some players back.

(RasteRayzeR) #24

And look at the bright side > newbs get a chance to learn from the bests right from the start xD

(Volcano) #25

rofl that’s a bit cute

(Ecano) #26

And the other way round, mid players that becomes kill machines in a single night :tongue:

Casual/Veteran server would have more sense with a bigger Alpha community, actually we are fulling a single server…

(murka) #27

Well the problem right now is that we have more players than a single server can hold at peak times, but because people don’t split between servers when they can, another server just isn’t going to get filled. An in-game server browser might fix that.

(zeroooo) #28

i think that doesnt relate with an ingame serverbrowser,… no matter if pressing alt + F4 or pressing ESC disconnect and then klick on play online / server browser…

there is only one SW server, and the servers are too big in my opinion, 8v8 is too much… 6v6 is maximum i think… but thats another story…

(Mustang) #29

Where is the casual stopwatch server?

(RasteRayzeR) #30

since when stopwatch is casual anyway ? xD

(Mustang) #31

Since (as mentioned previously) it has spawnwaves, no overtime and is a more fun gamemode, yet because people are unable to play sensibly we must have these “rules” which apparently only apply to servers with the word Casual in the title.

I hope non-comp gamers are still allowed to have fun?

(Ashog) #32

Nice idea with servers. It doesn’t make things worse, just gives an additional option for new players.

I have 3 small change suggestions for SD that would help rookies:

[ul]
[li]Urgently change a commander audio saying: Engineers, plant the C4! (to soldiers)[/li][li]Code the XS/level shuffle vote in (and possibly also rshuffle by XP every map if Objective mode)[/li][li]When a player joins a server with equal number of players on each team, by default put him into defending team, instead of currently attacking team. The golden rule of pubs was always: always one more to defenders (if there’s no obvious stack)[/li][/ul]

(SockDog) #33

Wow, Casual server with people on it. Excellent
50% are regular DB players. [Picard]

(pulley) #34

okok we all know it doesnt make much sense atm but hopefully it will as SD wants to invite more players!

(SockDog) #35

It makes sense until the majority of the server is filled with experienced players that will inevitably overpower and turn off the people the server was created for in the first place. No restraint, no consideration.

(MrFunkyFunk) #36

Before anymore rant, yes there were a few regulars (in my case because the SW sv was full at the time) on the obj server tonight.
There were a few new faces, there have been mostly balanced games and everyone was helpful towards the new comers.
The actual account level is irrelevant to the player’s mastery, I don’t remember the names but tonight at least two new players were clearly ET or fps vets and were having their fair share of killingsprees.
That brings me to the question: do you want us to not play at all and just stare at the launcher and battle for a random amount of time for an hypothetical slot on the SW server when there are enough people to fill two or three servers?

Until an actual SD member comes here and says we, players of x+ specified level, can’t join that server I’ll keep on joining the server that has free slots and that allows me to play within my freetime.
It’s nice to encourage less confident and new players to play but the core problem could be solved with a shuffle vote.

(INF3RN0) #37

I don’t get why people don’t just try to balance teams when it’s obviously lopsided. I’ve switched teams multiple times mid-game just to try and help tilt it a bit, and sometimes you can even tell it’s going to be one-sided in warmup. No point in having imba matches in alpha because it defeats the purpose and doesn’t really do anything for anyone. I think the most we can really do right now is take personal responsibility to have more even games really.

(Mustang) #38

[QUOTE=MrFunkyFunk;439136]Before anymore rant, yes there were a few regulars (in my case because the SW sv was full at the time) on the obj server tonight.
There were a few new faces, there have been mostly balanced games and everyone was helpful towards the new comers.
The actual account level is irrelevant to the player’s mastery, I don’t remember the names but tonight at least two new players were clearly ET or fps vets and were having their fair share of killingsprees.
That brings me to the question: do you want us to not play at all and just stare at the launcher and battle for a random amount of time for an hypothetical slot on the SW server when there are enough people to fill two or three servers?

Until an actual SD member comes here and says we, players of x+ specified level, can’t join that server I’ll keep on joining the server that has free slots and that allows me to play within my freetime.
It’s nice to encourage less confident and new players to play but the core problem could be solved with a shuffle vote.[/QUOTE]
Don’t worry Rex/Volcano/whoever was just trolling you for the lolz.

The problem is only 10% skill disparity between players and 90% stacking and an unwilling attitude to “go easy” on a weaker team/player or to balance the teams up.

I’m not saying players should be hopping side like rabbits during a match, but it’s very clear by the end of a round if teams are unbalanced (or in most cases before even starting as we all mostly know each others ability) and we should be doing a bit of jiggery pokery to spread the love.

(SockDog) #39

[QUOTE=MrFunkyFunk;439136]Before anymore rant, yes there were a few regulars (in my case because the SW sv was full at the time) on the obj server tonight.

It’s nice to encourage less confident and new players to play but the core problem could be solved with a shuffle vote.[/QUOTE]

My problem is that this community needed something quite obvious to be spelled out to them in the first place. Once those same people justify joining this server I don’t see them taking much longer to continue being dicks and turning people away. Not painting everyone with that brush but we’ll be back to square one again very quickly if this server is just used as another one to join because it has people on it.

(Smooth) #40

You’ll notice that there isn’t a single rule for Casual servers that says to keep out if you’re too good.

We still want the top-skilled players in there (if they so desire) as long as they try to keep teams balanced and are friendly.