Server Rentals

(SighFye) #1

At game con this year I heard the developers mention setting up for rented server. This is something I have been hoping for a long time.
I have some questions that I hope can be answered. A lot of games give server rentals but do not allow leveling within these server, which really kills the server ownership.
I would love to see rented servers where we still level up, still get our cases and credits.

Hit the agree button if you agree with me :slight_smile:

(kittz0r) #2

this is not FB or Youtube where you beg for Likes or Thumb Ups even though i kinda Agree.

(Nail) #3

very unlikely, too easy to farm

(B_Montiel) #4

@SighFye said:
At game con this year I heard the developers mention setting up for rented server. This is something I have been hoping for a long time.
I have some questions that I hope can be answered. A lot of games give server rentals but do not allow leveling within these server, which really kills the server ownership.
I would love to see rented servers where we still level up, still get our cases and credits.

Hit the agree button if you agree with me :slight_smile:

I suppose they’d put some certain rules to allow leveling on the server. Most notably leveling should not be accounted if there’s a password on it. And you’d have to keep the server parameters within “vanilla” rules. For example, no gravity change, no pistols only, etc…

At least that’s what I’m expecting and what is easily doable with UE3 binaries.

(Cletus_VanDamme) #5

SD, please don’t add the ability to gain levels, XP, cases or anything else from private servers.

I can just see the browser, 100x XP - EZ CASES - FARMING SERVER - NO KILLING.

Pass.

(znuund) #6

I expect it to be config dependent so your server is certified.

(Shenaynays) #7

Considering the only community run servers we have are the DBNGG and the pug servers which have exp, credits and case drops enabled, id assume the rentable servers would have the same thing.

we definately wouldnt be able to upload and run custom maps considering the engine DB uses is a bespoke version of unreal engine four. So building afk maps cough tf2, CS:GO cough wouldnt be a thing.

EXP wise, definately, that would be abusable, its insanely easy to tp and set spawn points for teams and someone will definately find a way a reinvent the old aura // ev exp glitch. And from what ive seen and tried in the offline version of the console, there’s not a known way to ramp up exp gain.

Cases, now this is an interesting one, if on rentable servers we get allowed to set custom map times then definately, same as cs go, people would set the server time to one minute and let it run. But if servers are limited to map times then that woulnt be an issue.

in my opinion theres so much that we shouldnt // might not be able to do on these rentable servers. Other than just own a server + maybe play ads, i dont see what we sd would trust to us considering almost everything is abusable in some way shape or form

(SnakekillerX) #8

If people aren’t able to get XP, Credits and Mission progress within their rented server then what are they paying for really? Why would people play on their rented servers over other servers?

Private servers failed hard because of the restrictions and lack of progression, I think they’d probably want to avoid that for people who are actually spending money to host a game for them.

While farming might be a concern, I believe there would likely be something in the rental agreement where you agree you won’t use the server in certain ways, and if it is caught doing so the server could get shutdown.

They would have to monitor these rented servers and then make sure nothing illegal is happening, and when there is they would need to ensure that there isn’t a server admin there allowing them to do it. (You can’t stop these things if no one is around to enforce the rules)

If it is blatant though

@Cletus_VanDamme said:
I can just see the browser, 100x XP - EZ CASES - FARMING SERVER - NO KILLING.

They can just shutdown the server… as they did not follow the rules of conduct for their server rental.

(Nail) #9

rentable servers are for people who want to play a FPS, bling rewards and pokemon cards have no place

there’s at least 25 people on this forum that would farm the fork out of any server they could as fast as humanly possible, it would be the ONLY reason people rented servers

(SnakekillerX) #10

@Nail said:
rentable servers are for people who want to play a FPS, bling rewards and pokemon cards have no place

there’s at least 25 people on this forum that would farm the fork out of any server they could as fast as humanly possible, it would be the ONLY reason people rented servers

I’ve played on many rented servers in other games and you still gained XP/Credits, etc.

The only real difference was that it was admined by a few people who the server host gave the rights to and that it was often a place where slight alterations to the game rules might be made. (no shotguns)

People will pay to run a server they way they want to play it. However when it comes to DB, I don’t foresee options like “no shotguns” to exist in a server options menu. It would have to be admin policed to ensure people are only choosing loadouts with no shotguns…

Anyway, long story short… so long as people aren’t abusing these servers in some way to farm XP, then they should absolutely be available to progression purposes, why would one want to limit that anyway?

They had Private Servers and removed those too because no one used them. Personally I think it was too strict to start one (had to have too many people) but the other problem was there was no progression, so people were even less likely to want to play there.

(Nail) #11

sorry, I just don’t see it happening

(SnakekillerX) #12

It might, it might not. It doesn’t matter too much to me. I just feel like if someone is paying good for a server though that they should at least have a proper server, not one stripped of content.

(SighFye) #13

I rent a server because I run a clan and we like to have a place to consider home

(Nail) #14

nice necro, things change