Rework Bridge

(ClickBaitMaster) #1

Bridge is one of my least favorite maps in db, for being on offense and pushing the ev is impossible. There are Mazes just to get to the ev. Also if the enemy team fix’s the generator for the barrier, and they stay there it’s impossible to get in their and plant a c4. By the time you even get to barrier 4-5 mins (because nobody could repair and enemies all around the ev)are gone and you have 2-3 minutes left, that are spent trying to break the barrier. If you EVEN manage to get inside their to plant,time is already up and you lose…

(massE) #2

We currently have no plans to rework Bridge, as we feel it’s one of the maps in a pretty good place right now re: balance, match completion, etc

As for the generator, one thing which some people dont know is that if the enemy team are making it difficult to get a plant down, you can take the generator down using good 'ol damage. So get your team to grab a bunch of nades, rockets and molotovs, and just take it down that way instead!

Saying that, we are always looking at ways to improve the maps, and nothing is ever safe from being improved/reworked, so keep thoughts and suggestions coming in!

(kopyright) #3

The only thing I would like to see changed is the last defender spawn since a team wipe will cost you not one but both objectives most of the time, whereas on Chapel you can still recover after the first delivery.

Apart from that Bridge is rather balanced in my opinion. If you have troubles repairing the EV always remember that you can jump off the bridge (and safely as well if you have the Flying Pig augment) and rush to the EV to get some precious seconds of repairing while your team mates keep the enemy too busy to notice.

Trying to bounce off grenades on the wall to hit the generator from the small alleyway on the right is a bit tricky, but the building on the left side provides decent cover and a good line of sight on the generator. Put a Nader or Javelin in your merc selection and do some damage!

(ClickBaitMaster) #4

Thanks for the tips, I thinks it just that I kept playing on the offense side of bridge and was usually the engineer pushing it and repairing it, that it felt really hard in getting to the generator. And yeah I sorta forgot that generators could be damaged :blush:

(ImSploosh) #5

I find Bridge to be the worst map, (Dome is tied with it after they ruined it with the last update). Bridge’s 1st and last objectives are just wonky. A decent team can hold the EV for an extremely long time because fire support mercs can’t clear them out (too many spots to hide/cover). Also, as attackers, you’re narrowed into 3 small corridors which make it very easy for an explosives merc to wipe your team.

The last objective doesn’t feel right on both sides. As already mentioned, if you manage to wipe the defenders, you can generally get both objs delivered. However, the defenders can also establish themselves very well inside of the building. Especially now with Aura stations, Turtle shields, and Guardian drones, explosives won’t even clear them out. That being said, it’s also just a massive explosives spam. Makes it awkward for both sides and can sometimes just be the luck of the draw.

(woodchip) #6

Bridge is a very fun map, but some weaknesses do stand out. I agree with Sploosh that both the EV repair phase and delivery phases could use a look at. EV defense is just too strong: there isn’t really any way to flank defenders around the EV, and there’s no way to air strike them either. Far harder than both the chapel and trainyard repair phases. I guess it’s fine for some repairs to be harder than others, but it feels pretty uphill in a close match.

Maybe open up the glass ceiling over the EV to make attacking a bit easier.

The last phase is very fun and distinctive, but slightly too binary. Too many games end either with the attackers completely shut out, or two quick back to back deliveries. The best games involve battles outside to return/score. So maybe it should be a tiny bit easier to get the flag out of the room, and a little harder to cap back to back.

(Ptiloui) #7

@massE said:
As for the generator, one thing which some people dont know is that if the enemy team are making it difficult to get a plant down, you can take the generator down using good 'ol damage. So get your team to grab a bunch of nades, rockets and molotovs, and just take it down that way instead!

Maybe i am alone on this one but i think this generator should get a slight rework. With mercs like Nader, Stoker or Javelin, it’s too easy to destroy it. But without them (so needing to plant a c4) it feels too difficult. Maybe by moving it elsewhere and/or having to construct it (instead of destroying it) would bring this objective back to a more “primary” objective.

(ThunderZsolt) #8

@Ptiloui said:

@massE said:

Maybe i am alone on this one but i think this generator should get a slight rework. With mercs like Nader, Stoker or Javelin, it’s too easy to destroy it. But without them (so needing to plant a c4) it feels too difficult. Maybe by moving it elsewhere and/or having to construct it (instead of destroying it) would bring this objective back to a more “primary” objective.

I also don’t like that you are forced to pick Nader/Stoker/Javelin/Fragger/Rhino or lose too much time, and Turtle can block the door as well. If the defenders also have Guardian, destroying the generator can take extremely long.

Also a wise man said once that any strategic point in any game needs at least 3 entrance. This rule applies to most DB maps, but this is an exception - it has only 2 entrances, and the back door is easily covered by the defenders.
Adding a 3rd entrance (for example to the back on the lower level, or even a staircase outside the building) would make significantly easier to wipe out the defenders, and after the attackers planted C4 on the generator, a 3rd door would also help the defenders re-take the position.

(kopyright) #9

@ThunderZsolt said:
Also a wise man said once that any strategic point in any game needs at least 3 entrance.

He also said that only fools rush in, though.

(ThunderZsolt) #10

@kopyright said:

@ThunderZsolt said:
Also a wise man said once that any strategic point in any game needs at least 3 entrance.

Not in a game, where you respawn in 20 seconds.

I’ve had a ranked game on Bridge. Both teams had Turtle shield protecting the generator. We used 2 Naders to spam the shield and then the generator, the regular 2 medics, and an assault to keep them at bay, so the Naders can spam.
It took a while to take that thing down.

What did the other team?
All of them switched to explosive mercs, and suicide rushed through the Turtle shield. Fragger jumping in with a cooked nade in hand, Proxy dropping a pizza quickly before she died, Nader running in to martyr the generator…
No need for medic if you don’t care about dying, and this way they didn’t have to destroy the shield.

It was hilarious to witness, but their strategy worked faster than ours. With an average 100 damage dealt / player death, you can drop the generator’s 1000HP in 2 spawn waves.

(kopyright) #11

@ThunderZsolt said:

@kopyright said:

@ThunderZsolt said:

Not in a game, where you respawn in 20 seconds.

Maybe Elvis just skipped over that part.