Request for dev postmortem

(Meerkats) #1

I made this request in a prior post, and this post will be mostly a copy paste of that post, but, well, as an actual topic, this might get more attention from the people involved. I do eventually want to make some type of proper goodbye post like @Xenithos has, but I’ll be going on vacation for a few days soon, and that’s something I’d like to spend a bit of time on.

I really thought Dirty Bomb had what it took to go big, but, well, that’s over. That said, to this day, Dirty Bomb is the only recent competitive FPS I still enjoy playing.

If any dev would like to offer some type of postmortem, I’d love to read it. Yes, you guys. Your thoughts, your feelings and if given the opportunity to go back in time to do it again, what you would do differently.

Would you have chosen a different engine ( I know there weren’t exactly many choices at the time, but in hindsight, UE3 may have been at the root of many performance issues ), or upgraded to a different engine during development, thereby possibly bypassing continual performance issues? What are your thoughts on UE3? What problems and / or quirks did you encounter, and how did you resolve them?

Would you still have released Phantom? I’m not talking “released in current ‘fixed’ state,” I’m talking at all. I think it’s fair to say the consensus amongst skilled, veteran players, for a long time, has been to just delete him. It’s hard to say, but if it weren’t for that massive population exodus that occurred after Phantom was released, well, Dirty Bomb might still be viable now.

Would you still have implemented execution, or perhaps have focused development toward getting CMM out earlier?

What are your thoughts on Overwatch and how much impact do you think that game had on Dirty Bomb’s lack of success? Or do you think lack of clear messaging / advertising had greater effect?

A frequent complaint amongst players is the lack of transparency coming from Splash Damage, and how we frequently felt like we were being ignored. What are your thoughts? Do you think you could have improved communication, or do you actually feel you were providing adequate feedback? What would you have changed?

How would you have responded to AngryJoe’s mouth hole diarrhea? It’s really hard to measure how much damage a single man’s retardation did to Dirty Bomb’s reputation, but at the same time, I don’t think I saw a lot of damage control coming out of you guys. Btw, as a person who has played with and against AngryJoe in the past ( Destiny PvP matchmaking )… he’s fucking awful at FPS.

Was the loadout system initially your idea or was it pushed onto you by Nexon? Overall, what impact did Nexon really have on DB’s development? As an aside… while I can’t say I liked the original loadout system, it never turned me off of the game. Initial event drop rates, however, were an absolute joke.

What are the Nexon CM’s ( Jordy, MissMurder and Raz ) doing now? What are you going to do now?

Just in general, shoot the shit with us. You’ve got your NDA’s, and I get that, but everything else? Well, there’s not much else to do. Tell us who is your favourite merc. Your favourite map. Your favourite memories. That kinda stuff.

Hindsight is 20 / 20, but that doesn’t mean there is no value in it.

(Xenithos) #2

I really love this post. I seriously hope some developers post in here.