Remove skin quality

(Press E) #1

It’s been confirmed that weapon polishing will never be a thing…
Just… why? I defend SD a lot but this is up there with some of the worst decisions I’ve seen them make. The fact that people are still constantly asking about it should be indication enough that steam trading won’t fill that gap.

Weapon keys cost 15k credits, which is a lot for new or even intermediate players. Even worse if you use rads. You already have a very low chance to get a decent skin, since most of the bronze ones look terrible. Not to mention that you have no control over what weapon you do get, and every case has such a variety of weapons that even if you do get a good skin, it can be for a weapon you never use. So why would I ever waste money on weapon skins when I know there’s no hope in ever improving my skins? No one is going to want to trade for a skin so worn you can barely see the pattern on it, and DB’s player population is so small that by the time someone does get a decent quality high rarity skin, they’ll probably only trade it for the price of your entire inventory.

If you’re not going to add polishing, why not just remove skin quality? Having skin quality without polishing does absolutely nothing except annoy us. And would making all skins pristine really ruin anything? I’m assuming it would be a lot less effort than adding polishing too, if that’s the issue.

This is what a worn gold skin looks like, this is how bad it is. Is this really the experience you want to give us?

(ThePigVomit) #2

+1

(Ptiloui) #3

Why can’t I click the like button more than once ? <3

(Jigstraw) #4

I commented this same thing on the youtube video.

I don’t care about weapon skins whatsoever; I think it was a stupid addition to the game. I also think the rusted/scarred/whatever stuff looks cool, but that’s just me. I took a break and came back to having a few Nuclear Winter skins and a gazillion Rads from Ranked being wiped out. With those I bought a few more skins and I think most of them were rusty looking too.

Anyway, I say all that because even I think it’s a bad move on SD’s part not to add polishing and I don’t even care about this stuff. If it was promised and it’s what the people wanted then I feel for you folks who are pissed off. Yeah though, I never saw myself getting into it. It’s just another rng money-grab. What I really want is the ability to swap certain loadout skins around in our Merc Decks.

(henki000) #6

I really dont care weapon skins too, but think it is fair and easy way to gain profit. When trading finally descend to game, I very much appreciate quality over quantity. Even if I dont have any great skin collection, it’s nice to see healthy market that support game. Why would anyone buy rare skin, if they can polish cheapest skin for free? Poetic justice.

(Press E) #7

Polishing a skin doesn’t have to devalue anything as long as polishing it costs a decent amount of money. Buying a pristine skin is still a desirable option when polishing a worn skin could cost an arm and a leg in credits or fragments, so trading isn’t any less attractive either, just more practical for the players who enjoy the game, but not enough that they want to waste ridiculous amounts of money on the single person selling a pristine cobalt skin
The problem is DB isn’t large like CS:GO, TF2, PUBG, etc. It doesn’t have a large enough playerbase to support a marketplace with very rare items. Cases are very expensive, and the droprate for high rarity skins is also very low. With only a peak of 1000 players playing per day, you can’t really expect something like that to keep the game alive. No one wants to invest 100$ into a skin for a game that frankly seems to be on its way to the grave.

Thing is, DB isn’t real life, it’s a game. It’s supposed to be enjoyable, and paying real money for a weapon case is supposed to give you something to make you feel like you haven’t just wasted your money. Getting a skin that has more worn metal than actual pattern is a terrible way to encourage players to spend time in your game. On the other hand giving players a worn skin that they can work to turn pristine gives players a clear goal, something DB lacks once you have all the mercs.

Whether you like skins or not really doesn’t matter, because there are lots of people who do enjoy them. For some people skins are a good reason to play a game. But when you have such an unrewarding and shitty system, the players who do play for skins have little reason to actually bother with the game.

(ThePigVomit) #8

It would not have been free. I expected a heafty fragment and credit/rad cost to polish a weapon. Dunno how the trade up would have went, but would have loved to see that too.

(henki000) #9

@STARRYSOCK
@ThePigVomit

How much credits or fragments for polishing? What is the point in grind/rng relation, where common skins does not get devalued? What if I want scarred more than pristine? Can I buy scratching skin quality instead?

(Press E) #10

Common skins would still less valuable than pristine ones, because you’d need to invest effort into polishing them. There are any number of ways you could price it or implement it in general too, it depends really on what SD wants skin rarity to be, I’m just giving examples of how it could work and why leaving it as it is would be a bad idea.
But even then it’s really not necessary. Having skin quality tiers really doesn’t add much to the game, and ultimately we’d be fine without them. Having bronze through cobalt skins is really enough, it just makes buying weapon cases a better option since you’re more likely to get something you want

Most people prefer pristine, but if you want to degrade it I don’t see why not. It might even make an interesting mechanic if degrading skins refunded you some credits/fragments each time you degrade them to a lower tier or whatever, almost like recycling a weapon card in stages rather than all at once.

(Terminal_6) #11

If it’s any consolation, I just got this bronze scarred skin and it looks pretty good.

Hurstall 2K "Virdis"

They say Steam trading is supposed to make up for the inability to polish. But who the hell is going to be trading for skins that look like a preschool class was given spray paint? I guess those are just for the recycler, like iron and lead loadouts used to be. Except we can’t get higher quality from fragments, so it’s not like that at all.

(HadronZodiac) #12

I got this a while ago, except i forget i have it, yeah it looks nice, but it looks like aura accidently put it in the washer for an hour and some of the paint came off

Anyways, yeah just remove scarring, if it cant be improved, it shouldnt even be a mechanic

PS: I literally associate this skin with garbage^

(enigmaplatypus) #13

I agree. I think it would be a good move to get rid of weapon skin quality since polishing won’t be a thing. I would even be ok with them removing the option to buy case keys with credits if all the skins where pristine. I say that not because I necessarily want weapon keys to be rads only, but because the devs would probably need some incentives to redesign the weapon skin system. if they where only purchased with rads the devs might receive more revenue from rad pack sales… and the normal/average players can grind for the rads to buy keys. It would be more worthwhile though too… those who are grinding get the reward of a guaranteed pristine skin for their efforts, and those who pay for the rads wouldn’t feel cheated when they spend their money and just get an ugly garbage skin. Now granted this solution isn’t completely ideal, but it could probably be done relatively easily, at least compared to making a skin polishing system. Despite its flaws and drawbacks, it would still be better (at least in my opinion) than what we have now.