remove non-punkbuster engine kick for duplicate GUID players

(jemstar) #21

Hahah its been driving me crazy!!! Yep we are nq1.2.9 so is strange if it shouldn’t be doing this! I upgraded server from 1.2.3 in 2011 by just adding nq1.2.9 and changing the start up line…But in 2013 did a complete server wipe and reinstalled with just 1.2.9 so 1.2.3 shouldnt be interfering at all as is not there!!

As I said above hopefully legacy will be my savior!! Thanks for the poke in the right direction Mateos…I looked at doing this last year but got scared lol. Now with more detailed install instructions on legacy site and probably my more experience it looks rather easy!!

Fingers crossed!!

(phisherman) #22

The “<name> disconnected duplicate guid for client <id>” kicks are initiated by noquarter, punkbuster has absolutely nothing to do with it. It seems like these kicks have been added along with xpsave, as the system will not work properly if two or more players share the same GUID. The logic that precedes a kick is as follows:

IF "xpsave enabled" AND ("sv_wwwDlDisconnected disabled" OR "g_XPSave flag 8 set") THEN kick

Accordingly, you should be able to prevent these kicks by either turning off xpsave or turning on sv_wwwDlDisconnected and simultaneously turning off g_XPSave flag 8. However, using etlegacy with a proper client identification system is definitely to prefer.

(jemstar) #23

Thanks phiserman,

I have set g_XPsave “7” - so 8 not selected and

set sv_wwwDlDisconnected “0” - should I make this “1” ?

I’m told by legacy peeps that running Legacy with NQ will not fix the dup guid kick issue…need to run full legacy!

may look at that but really want to stay nq. lol i keep going back to square one grr!:tongue:

(phisherman) #24

My guess is that the sv_wwwDlDisconnected setting somehow interfered with the duplicate guid kicks, and rather than finding a proper solution they just disabled the kicks in case this setting was enabled. Generally bad style, but good for you in this case as you can exploit that. However, you need to understand what you are doing: Turning on sv_wwwDlDisconnected means that the server doesn’t reserve a client slot for players while they are downloading files. Players are disconnected from the server for the download and automatically reconnected when they’re finished so they don’t block client slots. On the server, you notice this through the infamous “acking disconnected download mode” messages you may or may not have heard of. The players won’t notice any difference, unless the server is full when they finished downloading and reconnect in which case they downloaded all the funsound packs for nothing. But if you have enough free slots, this shouldn’t be a problem.

Still, you are bypassing the duplicate guid kicks which means you might run into trouble with your xpsave for non-guid/non-pb players, e.g. them all sharing the same amount of xp or other unforeseen behaviour. Try turning on the cvar and see what happens [noparse];)[/noparse]

A proper solution would be to tell players to get a guid - an agonizing enterprise indeed that I have had the debatable pleasure of dealing with countless times back when we had a server.

(jemstar) #25

Hahaha thanks man!!

Yep I have binds telling them to get an etkey also through lua anyone joining with no_guid or unknown guid get a welcome message telling them they have no etkey and need to visit etkey.org, lol ofc no one listens then complain when the get dup guid kicked lololololololol

Will try setting set sv_wwwDlDisconnected “1”

Our server is rarely full so hopefully little impact!!
Thanks again!

btw love your advance voting lua its a hit on our server!!