Reloading

(DarkangelUK) #21

[QUOTE=H0RSE;233733]But why add anything like this in the first place? The game works fine without it, why add an necessary mechanic that players need to learn?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Reloading works fine as it is.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, there’s a difference between adding depth, and adding an annoyance.

(SockDog) #22

I think you’re already penalised and weapon balanced for reload times themselves. Even reloading to prepare for a fight puts you at a disadvantage if someone comes round the corner, you still need to switch weapons, you still come back to an empty weapon.

I wouldn’t think Brink needs any more slowing down in the interface between gamer and shooting stuff. IMO that should be the least cluttered aspect of the game, very simple. Bolt on missions and classes to add variety of who and why you’re shooting but if you’re going to start pulling people away from that to look at a reload meter you’re working against the core.

I guess you need to ask what the change brings and whether that is an improvement of the overall goal of the game. To me such reload systems should be confined to the likes of the Fallout FPRPGs type games.

And yes, L4D has a reload any time, lose no bullets system. Perhaps Exedore was playing on a modded server? Either way, the reloading system (“gasp of breath” as I’ll coin it) as is works to add enough tension, it also needs to be noted that unless you’re headshot heavy you’re looking at nearly a full clip to take down some specials, it’s just stupid to have preserve ammo system in situations where you’re expecting to unload full clips or die.

(tokamak) #23

[QUOTE=H0RSE;233733]But why add anything like this in the first place? The game works fine without it, why add an necessary mechanic that players need to learn?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Reloading works fine as it is.[/QUOTE]

I think reloading doesn’t have enough impact in the game, reloading is generally a thoughtless process. On top of that, the fast-reload is completely optional, nobody ‘needs’ to learn it, which means that in no way the game becomes more complex, not if you don’t want it to.

It’s an optional feature to give skilled players an edge.

(AnthonyDa) #24

Any macro can gives you a perfect reload time, so that’s not part of the gamer skill, it’s just another annoying thing.

/you can close this thread now.

(light_sh4v0r) #25

That was exactly what I thought. You’d have to randomize the fast reload timing to counter macros.

(tokamak) #26

[QUOTE=AnthonyDa;233752]Any macro can gives you a perfect reload time, so that’s not part of the gamer skill, it’s just another annoying thing.

/you can close this thread now.[/QUOTE]

That’s a rather vacuous argument not to do it. Besides, it’s easily solvable by putting the timer on random positions. The intention is not to make this a muscle-trainable skill (yes, Gears of War kind of messed up there), it’s about knowing when it’s worth to invest some of your focus on reloading to gain an advantage.

(H0RSE) #27

That’s a rather vacuous argument not to do it. Besides, it’s easily solvable by putting the timer on random positions.

And an even easier way to solve it is to not implement it in the first place.

The intention is not to make this a muscle-trainable skill (yes, Gears of War kind of messed up there), it’s about knowing when it’s worth to invest some of your focus on reloading to gain an advantage.
But why does there need to be an “advantage” to reloading? You see a guy, you shoot him, you use up ammo, you reload - you don’t need to turn a concept so simple into a thinking man’s game within the game.

(Joshua Morrison) #28

hahaha I really like the OP idea but also understand how silly it sounds. On one end I understand that fps make reloading a simple one button move and that works but on the other I like the idea of it being more realistic and more complex, like the lost of ammo stated above. Exedore, I say go for it you should lose the ammo in your current clip if you reload.

I have always thought it would be cool if a game added buttons to make reloading more realistic for example when you shoot half a clip and reload there is no reason to cock the gun because if you shot the then there is already a bullet in the chamber but if you shot the whole clip and the chamber is empty it would be cool if you had to push a button to pull back the slide reload then release the slide… that wouldn’t require much thought at all after the player understood the concept.
This would add a layer of skill, maintain realism, and still be fairly simple.

(tokamak) #29

If that was the mentality behind every feature then we would still be playing Space Invaders.

But why does there need to be an “advantage” to reloading? You see a guy, you shoot him, you use up ammo, you reload - you don’t need to turn a concept so simple into a thinking man’s game within the game.

It raises the skill ceiling without increasing the overall difficulty. People who chose to do it can get an advantage but also face the risk of jamming, people who don’t like it, like you, can simply ignore it altogether and won’t be bothered by the benefits or the risks it offers.

(DarkangelUK) #30

It’s the mentality behind adding pointless features for the sake of it.

(H0RSE) #31

If that was the mentality behind every feature then we would still be playing Space Invaders.
And if developers implement every feature that comes to mind, games would be 23 dvd’s in length, and require a control peripheral with that requires the users hands, feet, eyes, voice and mind to use.

It raises the skill ceiling without increasing the overall difficulty. People who chose to do it can get an advantage but also face the risk of jamming, people who don’t like it, like you, can simply ignore it altogether and won’t be bothered by the benefits or the risks it offers.

Are you saying that it would be a toggle option you could choose, because if it’s not, then those who “choose to ignore it” (just reload in the traditional sense) would definitely be at a disadvantage, jamming guns and wasting ammo.

It really doesn’t raise any “skill ceiling” seeing as if you have piss poor aim, but are a pro at reloading, you are still going to lose all the fights.

(tokamak) #32

[QUOTE=H0RSE;233768]Are you saying that it would be a toggle option you could choose, because if it’s not, then those who “choose to ignore it” (just reload in the traditional sense) would definitely be at a disadvantage, jamming guns and wasting ammo.

It really doesn’t raise any “skill ceiling” seeing as if you have piss poor aim, but are a pro at reloading, you are still going to lose all the fights.[/QUOTE]

If you have piss poor aim you might not want to waste your concentration on reloading.

And sure, it can be treated like advanced flying controls in QW, it shouldn’t be a liability to people who aren’t interested in using it.

It really isn’t. Reloading in most fps’s is nothing but a formality, it requires so little thought that it’s almost a symbolic gesture.

(Nail) #33

lol, soldiers don’t throw away their magazines, empty or not, NOBODY throws away ammo in a conflict

(AnthonyDa) #34

Tokomok VS the whole world, who’s going to win ?

(tokamak) #35

Then what do they do with it? With the almost-empty ones I mean.

(Nail) #36

yes, they’re still bullets, they will kill you
ammo comes in crates on ten shot stripper clips, you reload your own magazines, or someone does it for you, you never throw away magazines

(Senethro) #37

Nope, it goes instantly to your ammo reservoir on cancelling the reload.

Interestingly though L4D2 rewards you for not emptying your magazine. Reloading from empty takes longer.

(Ragoo) #38

OH ****! IT’S THOUGHTLESS! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

On a serious note tho, I don’t think that reloading is ever a thoughtless process. Since you can’t reload while running/climbing/firing a gun you still have to make a decision whether the bullets in your clip will be enough for now or not.

edit: I’m 100% sure someone will respond to this telling me there is a perk that lets you reload while running. Yeah, I’m aware of that. You don’t have to tell me :stuck_out_tongue:

(light_sh4v0r) #39

You know, there’s this perk that lets you…

nvm

(SockDog) #40

Was waiting for that one. :slight_smile:

To reiterate. Reload in L4D at the wrong time and you’re looking at you or a team mate taking damage over those seconds you’re not using the gun. It’s a concept that IMO works because while the execution is simple the situation is NOT.