Recoil stats now added to the Weapon Stat Spreadsheet

(ArsonistCow) #1

I’ve finally come up with a way of making the recoil values more understandable.

Average Recoil - The average amount that your aim moves when shooting.

Recoil Variance - The maximum amount that recoil can vary. Recoil is not always the same; one bullet may throw your aim to the left while the next one may throw it to the right.

So I’ve fed the raw numbers into these formulas (look in spreadsheet for formulas) and now have a complete list of comparable recoil for all normal weapons.

I was sadly not able to grab the recoil values for abilities and stationary MG/EV turret before SD removed the GetAll console command that I used to grab data from the game.

Some interesting things:

Recoil for ADS is the same as when running, i.e: higher than when standing or crouching.

I think that it’s preferrable to have low recoil variance, even with high average recoil since consistent recoil generally is easier to compensate for, even if it’s higher on average.

SMGs generally have much lower average recoil than other weapons, but also have much higher recoil variance.

Hochfir has very low average recoil (compared to other SMGs), but also has very high recoil variance. This means that while your aim generally won’t move much, every couple of bullets your aim will move a larger distance. This can be observed by ADSing and spraying at a wall then looking at the bullet pattern on the wall.

Blishlok on the other hand has high average recoil, but low recoil variance. Which might explain why it’s a rather easy gun to control.

Hurtsall 2K and MK46 are closer to SMGs in their recoil behaviour than they are to Assault Rifles; they have low recoil, but very high recoil variance.

MoA actually has higher recoil than FEL-IX, but since there’s a cocking animation that offsets your aim after the higher recoil is kind of irrelevant.

Empire-9 has the highest normalized recoil variance in the game AND fires very fast. Overall it has extremely erratic recoil.

(ThunderZsolt) #2

Man, your work is legendary!

Do you browse the game files for this info, or find out these values by testing? (just curious)

(ArsonistCow) #3

@ThunderZsolt said:

Do you browse the game files for this info, or find out these values by testing? (just curious)

I used to test for them a while back, until I found a nice little console command that let me fetch them directly from the config files. I also learned a lot about less transparent weapon mechanics this way (like the damage window and snares of melee weapons).
Aaaand SD disabled the GetAll command last patch… :frowning:
I was lucky somebody saved the values before it was locked down so I could finish my recoil section.

(woodchip) #4

SMG-9 cucked again.

(GatoCommodore) #5

@ArsonistCow said:

@ThunderZsolt said:

I used to test for them a while back, until I found a nice little console command that let me fetch them directly from the config files. I also learned a lot about less transparent weapon mechanics this way (like the damage window and snares of melee weapons).
I was lucky somebody saved the values before it was locked down so I could finish my recoil section.

what’s a damage window?

(ThunderZsolt) #6

@GatoCommodore said:

@ArsonistCow said:

@ThunderZsolt said:

what’s a damage window?

It is explained in the spreadsheet (hover your mouse over the column title)

With melee weapons once you press the attack button, after a short delay you damage everything in range, until the damage window ends.
For example with the bechkill light attack you press LMB, start dealing damage after 0.033 seconds, and continue to deal damage until 0.167 seconds (0.2 seconds after clicking)

The highest is the katana with 200ms window, which gives it a more consistent feel than other weapons, and allows for beyblade-ing, though not as much as in the old times (if you don’t know what it is, search youtube, I reckon you’ll find some hilarious stuff)

@ArsonistCow it is a shame that the devs want to hide this info. These stats (or at least most of them, like damage, firerate, DPS, etc) should be displayed in the game in the first place, so you don’t have to use console commands to get essential data.

(GatoCommodore) #7

@ThunderZsolt said:

@GatoCommodore said:

@ArsonistCow said:

@ThunderZsolt said:

what’s a damage window?

It is explained in the spreadsheet (hover your mouse over the column title)

With melee weapons once you press the attack button, after a short delay you damage everything in range, until the damage window ends.
For example with the bechkill light attack you press LMB, start dealing damage after 0.033 seconds, and continue to deal damage until 0.167 seconds (0.2 seconds after clicking)

The highest is the katana with 200ms window, which gives it a more consistent feel than other weapons, and allows for beyblade-ing, though not as much as in the old times (if you don’t know what it is, search youtube, I reckon you’ll find some hilarious stuff)

@ArsonistCow it is a shame that the devs want to hide this info. These stats (or at least most of them, like damage, firerate, DPS, etc) should be displayed in the game in the first place, so you don’t have to use console commands to get essential data.

yeah i kinda weirded too why would the devs dont want to release all the weapon specs in game.