Raptor - Doom 3 Script Editor in development

(vitalmaya) #1

I am developing a script editor for Doom 3, called Raptor. Currently, the main features of Raptor are:

• Code complete help for all Doom 3 entities
  • Color coded syntax highlighting
  • Multi tabbed interface
  • Easily extensible architecture to support new mods and new games (e.g. Quake IV)
  • Automatically analyze the associated .map file to validate the script
  • Visually represent all parent-child entity relationships (like, parts of a machine linked by the ‘bind’ function)

This screenshot shows the first 3 features of Raptor that I have listed above.

Feature Suggestions:
Raptor will be reaching beta status by mid September. Before doing a public release, I want to ensure that Raptor has all the features that mod teams and game developers need from such a script editor. To do this, I would like to have the Doom 3 community involved from the early stages of Raptor’s development. So, if you would like to make any suggestion on the feature set, please post them on this thread, or email me at vitalmaya@hotmail.com.

Beta Testing
I am also looking for people who would be interested in beta testing Raptor. If you wish to help, please send me an email.

Edit: Moved image to new server

(Zombie13) #2

wow, this could be quite a handy tool to have, I’ll be getting this for sure :smiley:

Zombie

(vitalmaya) #3

wow, this could be quite a handy tool to have

Thanks Zombie, that’s exactly what I’m hoping it turns out to be. If you have any suggestions for the feature set, please let me know.

(vitalmaya) #4

I have moved the screenshot image to a new server. The tripod one was not showing up properly … not sure why!

(Sheijan) #5

wow - i hope you will finish it soon :slight_smile: can’t wait for this art of tools :slight_smile:

(DrShell) #6

Hi there :slight_smile:

just found this thread by a link from a german site

I did a little scripting guide myself and i can read the doom3 scripts quite good now. Maybe I can help you with beta testing.

If you need any codeworks I am in the programming business for 8 years now. Can do Java and C++ if you need any
:smiley:

Email is in my profile.

Greetings from Austria :slight_smile:
Dr.Shell
www.theriddlemaster.at

(boomart) #7

is it ET compliant ?
is there anyway to implemant this in GTRadiant (as a plug in ?) some day ?

(vitalmaya) #8

is it ET compliant ?
is there anyway to implemant this in GTRadiant (as a plug in ?) some day ?

Raptor is being built to support all Doom 3 engine games. Unfortunately, there are no current plans to support other engines.

However, the structure of Raptor will allow to provide some of this functionality to other engines (though, it may not be in an ideal way). For e.g., Raptor uses two files for identifying the game data: RLD (Raptor Language Definition) and REL (Raptor Entity List). The RLD file stores all keywords of the language. The REL file lists all the entities of the game, along with their member functions and expected parameters. With this structure, adding support for a new Doom 3 engine game is as simple as adding new RLD and REL files.

Using these files, Raptor can be modified to support non-Doom3 engine games. But, not all features may be available, since that is not what Raptor is designed to do.

(tequila) #9

it sounds very slick vita, looking foward to checking it out when complete. :slight_smile:

(e.v.o) #10

need some hosting or webspace? i would handle this if you want to…

(urgrund) #11

This looks very cool! testing against the .map is excellent!

with the colour coding, will it have standard C/Java highlighting? In the screenshot it only has comments coloured. I know its not finnished… but just checking :slight_smile:

Also, will it have formatting? Like, auto-indenting?

(vitalmaya) #12

Thanks a lot for your offer, e.v.o. I didn’t see the email you sent me earlier. Sorry! I have just sent you a reply.

(vitalmaya) #13

will it have standard C/Java highlighting?

Raptor uses an RLD file (Raptor Language Definition) to identify the keywords of the language. On release, Raptor will have only one RLD - Doom3.rld. However, this is a very simple text format. So, if you need Java highlighting, it is as simple as creating a new RLD called Java.rld, with all of Java’s keywords. Then, when you open a new file in Raptor, you can tell the document to use Java.rld instead of Doom3.rld. Each document you open can be associated with a different RLD, so you can simultaneously edit a Doom3 script, a Java program and a C++ program.

In the screenshot it only has comments coloured. I know its not finnished… but just checking

Yes, that would be a sign of not being finished yet. :wink: It’ll be fixed before final release.

Also, will it have formatting? Like, auto-indenting?

Undecided at the moment. So, hopefully!

(vitalmaya) #14

Development update

I read recently on another post that id will be including a script compiler with the SDK. Once this is released, I will be integrating it with Raptor. I was originally working on a feature to “validate the script” from within Raptor. But, if id is including a compiler, it makes more sense to use that, rather than build it myself. So, this feature will not be included in the initial release.

Except for this, Raptor is now feature complete!

Over the next few days, I will be testing the app and adding other small features to help make Raptor more intuitive to work with. After this, the closed beta will be launched.

(michi.be) #15

i like the look of the editor. looks very clean. maybe it will help me (with 3dbuzz scripting vtms) to get involved into scripting. :smiley: