Rampant Hacking and What Can Be Done About It

(ispellcorrectly) #21

[QUOTE=sunshinefats;534271]As I recall, the theatre mode in BO2 was just an extra they added for fun, and did not actually play a role in getting cheaters banned as it was not 100% accurate all the time. It was only really helpful in aiding you if you weren’t 100% sure someone was cheating before you reported them and you wanted to see if they did something obvious. On the other hand though, you could report players to both steam and 3arc, and they would ban people if enough reports came in(3arc that is, steam largely doesn’t seem to care). Problem with that system was that they required a certain number of unique reports within a certain timeframe or they did nothing, and a lot of people just didn’t recognize cheaters or didn’t bother to report them. Still, I give 3arc credit that they did, at least, have people on staff to follow up on people who got enough reports, and I did witness quite a few cheaters get banned.
At any rate, I do agree with your point that we need some sort of multifaceted system in place to allow the DB community to aid in getting rid of the bad apples. As someone mentioned, it’s been discussed at length before, but as of yet the devs have made very little effort other than to tell us they were “working on it.” In one discussion a dev simply came in and said, report it to nexon, and closed the thread as if to shrug it off or it wasn’t really their problem…so I’m not overly encouraged thus far that they truly consider it a top priority. At least not yet.[/QUOTE]

Quite correct, it isn’t great at the moment.

Though, I really think the only way to really get rid of it is to update the game frequently. There is usually a 1-2 day hold on cheats when an update is released!

It needs to be put in place, because I have no motivation to try and even compete in pugs or competitions. Until we can clearly see there is an active working AC, what is the point? I mean, we can’t honestly say Pugs and competitions are 100% cheat free, although the community does a great job at trying to keep them out.

While playing pugs myself (I haven’t played many, and I won’t be name dropping, because I could very well be wrong!!!), I have seen some dodgy crap!
This includes pre-shooting and being shot as soon as I go around a corner, people trying to jump shoot and the bullet hitting the wall in front of them because they didn’t realise it went that high etc. I ain’t a bad player(not the best, I will happily admit that!). I also understand pub is a completely different game, but! The mechanics don’t change and when I dominate a pub game(objectives too) with mostly every kill being 1+ headshots and then move over to playing pugs, I go negative 9/40 in every game, I think to myself ‘well, I didn’t really have a chance to react’. I don’t complain, I don’t call out, because some of these players ARE really damn good players! I don’t know them well enough to say “he’s a cheater”, but I truly won’t be happy until there is an AC which proves it’s self worth. I want to play competitive, but why don’t I have that piece of mind!

I really hope it’ll come soon!

(mccrorie) #22

As far as I can tell Nexon use stock responses and there’s no way to know if going to all the hassle of reporting makes a lick of difference. Makes sense I guess, but it’s not reassuring when you report 4 people in the one match who are spamming headshots with the chaingun and who are sporting ridiculous names like Test ACC #X, and the GM replies with “Rest assured, we will take note of this player

(Bloodbite) #23

here’s a question then.

In terms of final solutions, what do people feel should be the ultimate result of a proven haxor? Perhaps a pole is called for on this when SD/Nexxon are ready to implement some sort of solution.

[ol]
[li]Ban from individual server where the offense took place
[/li][li]Temporary ban from accessing any servers
[/li][li]Temporary ban from using any but the default loadouts
[/li][li]Temporary ban of Steam Account, ala VAC induced lockouts
[/li][li]Permanent removal of access to DB from that particular Steam account
[/li][/ol]

That’s all I can think of as suggestions.

I recall Tripwire was going to do something extreme with Killing Floor 2 and review the more obscene cases of griefing/harassment/hacking and apply a permanent removal of “subscription” and future access to the game from their Steam account… which while controversial is a good hard line approach, in theory… just very problematic to implement in terms of man power/transparency of how fair that process may be.

Of course we’ve also seen recently, I think it was Guild Wars 2? Where a hacker, during gameplay, lost control of his toon courtesy of server admin, stripped naked and all inventory trashed, jumped to his death and received a message that the end of his toon and account was permanent… account deleted.

(ispellcorrectly) #24

What ever happened to hardware bans?

(f34n0r) #25

Hardware bans disappeared long ago when PB and VAC discovered that game companies paid them to get rid of hardware bans so people would buy another copy of the game to get out of the ban.

Gives a whole new meaning to paying for cheats.

(ispellcorrectly) #26

That’s ridiculous!

(Raviolay) #27

[QUOTE=Bloodbite;534286]here’s a question then.

[ol]
[li]Ban from individual server where the offense took place[/li][li]Temporary ban from accessing any servers[/li][li]Temporary ban from using any but the default loadouts[/li][li]Temporary ban of Steam Account, ala VAC induced lockouts[/li][li]Permanent removal of access to DB from that particular Steam account[/li][/ol]

That’s all I can think of as suggestions.
[/QUOTE]

Remove the option of the sever browser, and matchmake them on severs that only have hackers in.

(stealth6) #28

Keep server browser, but every server they click redirects them to the same server.

You should put the hackers in a FFA arena where the winner is the only one that doesn’t get banned, he gets to go on to the next round until there is only one left. With the amount of hackers atm I think we can make this happen. Stream the event and cash in. Use the money to invest in a better AC.

(mccrorie) #29

This is an email to notify you that your pending ticket (#58459) is now being marked as solved due to inactivity. Should you still need assistance, you can reply to this e-mail.

Solved due to inactivity? Really great system they’ve got here. No wonder hackers are so brazen and in your face when you call them out.

(mti_) #30

I must admit I find it shocking how little interaction with the community there actually is.
There is many very pressing issues with the game in its current state and hardly any feedback as to what they are working on.
I am given to understand that they host a dev stream on a regular basis but that really only appeals to a very small amount of people.
Dont they have a community manager? If so does he have another job and hence cant actually… well, manage the community?
How difficult can it be to post some keynotes of the dev stream? How much work is it to keep us posted on what each team is working on?
I can only assume that different people are responsible for developing new game modes, maps, mercs and the anti cheat for example but it still feels off when you work on new content while the current stuff is nowhere near complete (partly not even functional).
E: Actually I read on cF that a single Nexon guy is working on AC and MM and the rest is working on the clown fest that is that new game mode. That better be a joke.

We are talking about anti cheat here and I get the idea of not disclosing how your AC will work but refusing to give your community updates, ETAs and working together on short term solutions is absolutely unacceptable. It would be annoying with any other dev but with SD’s history of mismanaging community wants and needs (RIP Brink) there can be no room for this stuff here. People who are actively and competitively playing this game are getting absolutely screwed to the point where players that really quite like the game quit playing it (myself for example) until its in a better state. I might be mistaken but from what I read on here they have not even verified that they are aware of how terrible their match making system is and that they are planning to replace it.
Well, are they? If not I might as well move on to something else right now.

In any case this is my official job application as community manager for SD because I am really great at doing absolutely nothing at all.

(ispellcorrectly) #31

//youtu.be/2x2aZg1RUF8

(mccrorie) #32

Now that my recent report has been closed after it was marked “solved” due to “inactivity” and with no action and no real communication I’m of the mind that Nexon isn’t really doing anything. I don’t see why I should keep wasting my time with them.

(Nail) #33

don’t then

(sunshinefats) #34

The problem with that suggestion is that it’s exactly the sort of mindset that allows cheaters to run free and do as they please. And I think we can all agree that no one wants that, which pulls us back to the original question: If the very basic system in place is failing us, what suggestions can be made to improve on it? If nexon and the devs aren’t doing enough, then what can we, as a community, do about it, if anything?

(ispellcorrectly) #35

Nothing. The community on these forums are currently a minority in the game itself.
There are no owned servers, so there are no game admins.
There is no SDK, to possibly create a community AC.

We just have to sit tight and wait. Looking at my previous posts you will notice, I have been asking where the cheaters are.
Recently I have noticed a massive increase in cheat activity and the game is really becoming boring in a way.

Along with having to join mid game each time because people leave after 1 match and frequent cheaters, it’s becoming more of a grind than ‘fun’ now.

(BioSnark) #36

Currently, the best things you can do to avoid hackers is stay off of “competitive” matchmaking and be on a server with as many people you know as possible so kick votes have a possibility to pass.

(NoSoup4U) #37

[QUOTE=Bloodbite;534286][ol]
[li]Ban from individual server where the offense took place[/li][li]Temporary ban from accessing any servers[/li][li]Temporary ban from using any but the default loadouts[/li][li]Temporary ban of Steam Account, ala VAC induced lockouts[/li][li]Permanent removal of access to DB from that particular Steam account[/li][/ol]
[/QUOTE]
6. Hardware ban their asses, so at least that computer in the current configuration, is not able to play Dirty Bomb anymore.

**** anything else: It’s not as if you accidentally download a hack.

(Phantomchan) #38

This is actually a fairly good idea to be honest. It also wastes the hackers time before he notices that he has been put into another pool.

(sunshinefats) #39

Believe it or not, that titanfall system actually worked fairly well. That’s not to say you never saw or suspected foul play, but having played several related games I would honestly say I saw less cheaters on average in titanfall. That being said, the ones I did see were consistent, which is to say the ones I saw most frequently never got put into that pool or banned. But that was a small handful of players out of around 900+hours of gameplay time. So while I admit it wasn’t a perfect system it did seem to be, at least, somewhat effective overall. So definitely something the devs may want to consider.

(Phantomchan) #40

[QUOTE=NoSoup4U;534913]6. Hardware ban their asses, so at least that computer in the current configuration, is not able to play Dirty Bomb anymore.
[/QUOTE]

Hardware bans are only effective for countering the skiddies. People with a sense of knowledge can easily change and/or spoof HWIDs to bypass this. So it might get rid of a substantial amount, I doubt it would take care of all of them.