Questions for Splash Damage guys

([DS]Method) #1

Hey,
This is a nice website you guys have.
I have a question about the sizes in maps def file. What are they used for, how do you find/calculate them and are they necessary for the map?
Example:

mapDef game/mp/d3dm1 {
“name” “Tomiko Reactor”
“Deathmatch” “1”
“Team DM” “1”
“Last Man” “1”
“Tourney” “1”
“size0” “114318720”
“size1” “114318720”
“size2” “196881115”
“size3” “312221073”
}

Thanks.

Method

([DS]Method) #2

Also, I noticed you have some patches (pipes) bended and grouped together with func_static, but some are actuall long patches. How do you create them? This is what i think, if I’m wong please correct me. You add rows/cols and then cycle through available bending axis or you use Surface Inspector to slide Horizontal and Vertical bars. I come from Kingpin (Quake 2 engine) community and we never used patches, due to the engine limitations. I read alot of Q3 tutorials and I can bend and create almost any shapes, but it would be really great if you guys could collaborate and create advanced patch tutorial for us. I think most of people would agree with me. Btw I really appreciate that you find time to post here and share your knowledge with us.

Method

(Wils) #3

Not sure what the size keys are for - we didn’t create the mapdefs, as it happens.

It could be to do with precaching and the loading bar - I’ll try and find out tomorrow (although don’t hold your breath - it’s a bank holiday and we’re all going on a bike ride :banana:).

(Wils) #4

The pipes are cylinders (Patch -> Cylinder) which have had their vertices edited (v) to bend them about. I don’t think any of us use Patch Bend mode.

The easiest way to create pipes is to use individual cylinders for the straight and corner pieces, and just let the game merge it all.

([DS]Method) #5

Thanks for your reply Wils. Btw when I was going through the MP map files I confused your entities with Tim Willits. But his nick is “Willits”. You did a great job on D3 MP.

Method

([DS]Method) #6

I found using Vertex Manipulation alot easier than Bend Mode. Thanks for the tip, Wils.

Method