[Question] Some maps loaded although they're not running

(phisherman) #1

Hey there

I’m running a ET 2.60b NQ 1.2.5-Server and I’ve got a Question/Problem:

When you connect to a server which has currently venice running, you gotta download the venice.pk3 when you connect. When Venice is finished and next map is bremen, you gotta download bremen.pk3 and so on.

I found out that there are some maps, which need to be downloaded whether they’re currently running or not. So if currently Venice is running, you have to download those maps anyway.

Some examples:
supergoldrush_final
v2base (but not v2base_te)
secret bay (etsbay)
radar summer
1944_beach

I don’t know how this is caused, but as you can imagine, it’s annoying to have to load all the maps although they’re not running. So if anybody of you got an idea how this is caused and how to fix it, please tell me. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Map download settings in ET:L
(Paul) #2

the gamefiles (venice, radar etc) you shouldn’t place into the noquarter folder but in the etmain folder.
You did that?

(valkyr) #3

It happens when the PK3 has a .campaign file included (which is fairly pointless as A/ it’s unlikely that anyone will use it, and B/ it creates the problem you mention)

The game appears to read that .campaign file when referencing the available PK3’s, and adds any maps specified within to the pure list.

The only solution I know of would be to make a new PK3 without the .campaign file, but that would probably do more harm than good, as players that already have the original map would have to download the new version as well.

(Wezelkrozum) #4

Or you made a compaign-file by yourself which caused it or you are running the server with a campaigncycle?

(phisherman) #5

Yup, I got all my maps in etmain.

Nope, I have two objectivecycles cuz I think campaigns are very unflexible.

A great thanks to you, valkyr, for that quick solution. Youre right about that, and I dont know what I’m supposed to do know. Maybe I’ll delete the campaign-file, but I’m not sure yet. Of course I’d rename the pk3 so that the original one is not deleted.
Thank you very much for your help and that very quick solution. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

(-SSF-Sage) #6

[QUOTE=Phishermans Phriend;200473]Maybe I’ll delete the campaign-file, but I’m not sure yet. Of course I’d rename the pk3 so that the original one is not deleted.
Thank you very much for your help and that very quick solution. [/QUOTE]

So instead of forcing only some ppl to download it a bit earlier, you will make everyone to redownload the maps. And make more useless files to pollute a players computer. Please save us from it.

(Nail) #7

with etpro you can use:
“b_campaignFile allows admin to specify specific campaign file, to prevent server from referencing every pk3 on the server and forcing players to download every referenced pk3 on the server”

(system) #8

valkyr is right :wink:

we repacked a few maps cause they loaded up some other maps…hate it :wink:

(phisherman) #9

Ah damnit, no way with NoQuarter 125? :-/
I think I’ll make that suggestion to some of the NQ-buddys, that would be a good idea. Thanks to you. :slight_smile:

@{SSF}Sage
Now you can decide whats more annoying: To have to download Radar Summer a second time, or to download half an hour after having re-installed your ET.
And because you only load half an hour if you know that you like this server, I’ll lose many players. And therefore I’ll repack those maps. That’s not the first time I do that, simetimes the mappers really make it necessary.

(-SSF-Sage) #10

[QUOTE=Phishermans Phriend;200501]
@{SSF}Sage
Now you can decide whats more annoying: To have to download Radar Summer a second time, or to download half an hour after having re-installed your ET.
And because you only load half an hour if you know that you like this server, I’ll lose many players. And therefore I’ll repack those maps. That’s not the first time I do that, simetimes the mappers really make it necessary.[/QUOTE]

Well I’ll be sure to not visit your server then.

(phisherman) #11

I just sucessfully repacked and uploaded those maps, I even managed to reduce the filesize of some maps.[QUOTE={SSF}Sage;200521]Well I’ll be sure to not visit your server then.[/QUOTE]Well you dont have to, but sometimes there have to be made improvements, because the mappers were drunk or sth like that. I wonder why there still didnt write nobody if I have the permission to edit those mapfiles. That’s usually the first thing in the first post.

(ailmanki) #12

There is another solution,

include a pk3 in your mod folder (e.g. noquarter), which contains all the campaign files. This will prevent ET from downloading the pk3’s in etmain to get those files.
so a pk3 containing a folder scripts/ with the different *.campaign files in it.

actually NQ did contain them, don’t know why last release not.

(phisherman) #13

Hey if this worked, this would be a great solution! Thanks to you, I’m gonna try this out for sure! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

(valkyr) #14

Yeah, good idea ailmanki - it works…

The campaign doesn’t even need to be in a PK3 and downloaded - just make a ‘scripts’ directory in your mod folder and put the .campaign file(s) in there :slight_smile:

(ailmanki) #15

[QUOTE=valkyr;200594]Yeah, good idea ailmanki - it works…

The campaign doesn’t even need to be in a PK3 and downloaded - just make a ‘scripts’ directory in your mod folder and put the .campaign file(s) in there :)[/QUOTE]

If that works - wow… I thought the client needs the files.

(IRATA) #16

Check out NQ cvar g_campaignFile. It should does same as Nail described.

(valkyr) #17

I guess putting it straight on the server will over-ride the version in the PK3 from being added to the pure list, therefore the client doesn’t need to download it.

(phisherman) #18

[QUOTE=valkyr;200641]I guess putting it straight on the server will over-ride the version in the PK3 from being added to the pure list, therefore the client doesn’t need to download it.[/QUOTE]Does this also work with shaders? Or do they have to be in a pk3 and need to be downloaded?

I did not find that CVAR in your Wiki. How does it work? Needs an absolute path just like mapscripts/xpsave?

(valkyr) #19

Shaders are only needed client-side - to display a map (or loading screen etc) properly, so yeah, they have to be downloaded.

Campaign files can be server-side only, but doing it that way has a drawback - the client wont know anything about the campaign, so won’t be able to show the text description on the loading screen, or the name of the campaign, or the number of maps in the campaign.

(phisherman) #20

[QUOTE=valkyr;200654]Shaders are only needed client-side - to display a map (or loading screen etc) properly, so yeah, they have to be downloaded.[/quote]Ok, thanks.

That’s not a problem at all, I’m running objective anyway, so I only need those campaign-files that the maps containing one dont have to be downloaded the first time you connect.

//IT WORKS! Thank you very much, valkyr, putting the campaign-files in a scripts-director worked! Thank you very much. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I’ve got another question:
How does g_weaponscriptsdir work? Does this need an absolute path like xpsave and omnibot? The explanations in the NQ-wiki are kind of bad. :-/
Because I created a weaponscripts-directory, put the .weap-files in there, set g_weaponscriptsdir to that folder (absolute, just like omnibot, mapscripts and xpsave) and restarted the server. But it doesn’t work, my changes are not recognized. When I put them in the pk3, it works.