Q3Map2 with Quad core.

(dwe_flame) #1

here is the thing.

Q3map2 is a pretty old program now, and i got this feeling it only knows how to use 1 cpu. even if the computer where its on had a dual or quad core.

in this case i have a quad core 2.6 Ghz, and it would be great if all cpu’s could be used during this compiling.

does it really only use one? or is my feeling wrong in this one ?
and is there some way to make it work with all cpu ?

i hope someone could help me in this one :smiley:

(Nail) #2

possibly some help

-threads <number of threads Q3Map2 should use>

* Specifies a number of threads to use during compiling. On Windows, Q3Map2 automatically detects the number of CPUs present, and sets the threadcount accordingly. The -threads switch can be used to override this behavior.
    * Linux users will need to manually set -threads in order to activate SMP support in Q3Map2.

(dwe_flame) #3

ahaaa

and where do i set it manual ?

(i’m new to this :smiley: )

(Nail) #4

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2

(dwe_flame) #5

so this must be correct like this right:

%Q3MAP_PATH% -threads -meta -mv 1024 -mi 6144 -patchmeta -subdivisions 7 %GEN_OPTIONS% -v %MAP_PATH% 

so if i have no number behind it it will auto detect

but when using in linux i have to use with quad core:

%Q3MAP_PATH% -threads 3 -meta -mv 1024 -mi 6144 -patchmeta -subdivisions 7 %GEN_OPTIONS% -v %MAP_PATH% 

correct me if i’m wrong :slight_smile:

thanx a lot

(aaa3) #6

U DONT HAVE TO USE THREADY OPTION!! dont specify anythning manually jsut run it.
myself too recently begged out an amd quad and it works fine at me, writing 4 threads in console and also in process explorer (xp, there is no such thing as vista or 7) all 4 are on 100. but yea if really not works do that thread maybe that helps…

er… maybe u use too old one? 5.16reaylp and 5.17 works at me

(kamikazee) #7

[QUOTE=aaa3;191677]U DONT HAVE TO USE THREADY OPTION!! dont specify anythning manually jsut run it.
myself too recently begged out an amd quad and it works fine at me, writing 4 threads in console and also in process explorer (xp, there is no such thing as vista or 7) all 4 are on 100. but yea if really not works do that thread maybe that helps…

er… maybe u use too old one? 5.16reaylp and 5.17 works at me[/QUOTE]That’s nice and all, but as Nail said, Linux users do need to specify the option.

Windows users on the other hand should be able to do with a recent version of Q3Map2.

(obsidian) #8

No. Leave out the -threads switch entirely on Windows. If you add a -threads switch with no value, it will assume 1.

On Linux with a quad core system, you will set a value of 4, not 3.

Also, processors with hyper-threading or hyper-transport technology do not count as actual threads.

[QUOTE=dwe_flame;191648]so this must be correct like this right:

%Q3MAP_PATH% -threads -meta -mv 1024 -mi 6144 -patchmeta -subdivisions 7 %GEN_OPTIONS% -v %MAP_PATH% 

so if i have no number behind it it will auto detect

but when using in linux i have to use with quad core:

%Q3MAP_PATH% -threads 3 -meta -mv 1024 -mi 6144 -patchmeta -subdivisions 7 %GEN_OPTIONS% -v %MAP_PATH% 

correct me if i’m wrong :slight_smile:

thanx a lot[/QUOTE]

(litianlink617) #9

[font=Tahoma][size=4]CHI flat iron ,[size=4]CHI hair straightener , Chepa CHI flat iron, CHI ceramic flat iron , [/size][size=18pt]P90X[/size] save up to 74%,Fast and Free shipping at www.neu92.com [/size][/font]