Psychological Manipulation in Matchmaking

(GatoCommodore) #1

Right now i support the idea that we abolish Matchmaking altogether.

(Mc1412013) #2

Place a noob against a pro and they get jealous to buy items or they never play a gain

(GatoCommodore) #3

@Mc1412013 said:
Place a noob against a pro and they get jealous to buy items or they never play a gain

the really bad thing is they will match people who keep winning or on a streak into a losing match so the other team would win for the sake of winning and injecting more into addiction

this is very unethical and borderline manipulative, hell, i think this is manipulative.

(Mc1412013) #4

Its all about profits and not about the players. Inwork for a big company that is contracted by a biger company and all of us on the field are pushes to wprk in harsh coditions from 0F temps to 1+ plus ft of snow to borderline huricain winds. While sups and up are either home or in the office. Thursdays show huricane still wasnt enough to shut things down i.literaly told my boss im leaving this is b.s my personal car isnt made for snow and got him to ahut my route down but not before working 6 hours in the blizard

So when these companies are doing every thing to shake down a player into giving up there allowance i beleive it. Thats why i like db its free and money is optional for now. They can dangle weapons skins infront of me and have 30 popups but at the end of day i dont need skins i need skill and luck to out snipe a pro. But i do buy oprative obsidans with real money to support the game and the ocasional trinket as well. Every thing else is either ingame curancy or idont need it

Games that require money to win usualy get instantly deleted after the free trial period ends.

(GatoCommodore) #5

@Mc1412013 said:
Its all about profits and not about the players. Inwork for a big company that is contracted by a biger company and all of us on the field are pushes to wprk in harsh coditions from 0F temps to 1+ plus ft of snow to borderline huricain winds. While sups and up are either home or in the office. Thursdays show huricane still wasnt enough to shut things down i.literaly told my boss im leaving this is b.s my personal car isnt made for snow and got him to ahut my route down but not before working 6 hours in the blizard

Ive been a consultant for almost 12 years now, i was working on office stable job when i was 27 but, lets just say the lower peons will be and has always been treated like crap. Got out of the states and offered some jobs in Aus to be a consultant. Since then ive been working from home or a hotel if i need to get overseas. After working like this for so long, it feels tiring and i miss my desk-job.

back to topic, yes.
like i said earlier, its injecting more factor to the addiction, that is for the sake of profits.

(Teflon Love) #6

On the positive side, if the described patents are approved, it will be more expensive to implement this for other game developers. Ideally only games by EA and Activision will use them, which makes it easier to avoid such games.

(Mr.Cuddlesworth) #7

@Mc1412013 said:

So when these companies are doing every thing to shake down a player into giving up there allowance i beleive it. Thats why i like db its free and money is optional for now. They can dangle weapons skins infront of me and have 30 popups but at the end of day i dont need skins i need skill and luck to out snipe a pro. But i do buy oprative obsidans with real money to support the game and the ocasional trinket as well. Every thing else is either ingame curancy or idont need it

Games that require money to win usualy get instantly deleted after the free trial period ends.

(Mc1412013) #8

@“Mr.Cuddlesworth” said:

@Mc1412013 said:

That was thursdays snowpocolyps

(henki000) #9

Should be implemented to Dirty Bomb. If it gives you more players, money and notorious evil reputation. It would probably mean unfair games for everyone all day long, what could possibly go wrong? Balance isn’t fun, balance is science. People will still play EA or Activision games after this shocking reveal. Actually it will be great advertising when we will read years lasting lawsuits from news. I quess they could hire someone to sue big company with idea of losing it. When that conspiracy reveals, they could do it again, destroying reputation charts in universal scale. I would definitely try game titled “most brainwashing game from the most evil gangster organization” “do not play, it’s illegal” as my last thoughts in my mind before irresistible shopping spree and engagement.

According to this, they are working on gameplay telemetry system, I wonder if they also added their version of “EOMM”. It’s actually a miracle if they didn’t have any telemetry or engagement. If I was SD I would totally do it and not tell anyone. And then I would laught on my way to bank.

(OwynTyler) #10

@GatoCommodore said:
the really bad thing is they will match people who keep winning or on a streak into a losing match

wait, isn’t that a standart thing? LoL have been doing this for years…

(GatoCommodore) #11

@OwynTyler said:

@GatoCommodore said:
the really bad thing is they will match people who keep winning or on a streak into a losing match

wait, isn’t that a standart thing? LoL have been doing this for years…

it has never been a “STANDARD” thing.
this is a scummy tactic.

(Mc1412013) #12

(GatoCommodore) #13

@Mc1412013

well i havent bought another EA games since BF4
and im quite pleased with BF4 but still disappointing launch.

i mean if people keep falling into the same trash EA been shelling out, i think those kind of people really have poor life choices.

(Xenithos) #14

I’m still pissed off about my purchase of their Zombies:GW2 game which seems so much harder to play and do well at, and they only have like a two hour window of good matchmaking queues to even get into a match on PC.

(Sorotia) #15

@GatoCommodore said:
@Mc1412013

well i havent bought another EA games since BF4
and im quite pleased with BF4 but still disappointing launch.

i mean if people keep falling into the same trash EA been shelling out, i think those kind of people really have poor life choices.

But it isn’t always the same trash…SWBF1 it was a half game and then you needed to buy DLC for the other…for SWBF2 it’s the rigged card development system.

Wont be shocked if they try some new BS if they make a third, sure they’re thinking of new ways to screw over the player in the name of profit.

(AlbinMatt) #16

That is… scary to say the least. Have this actually gone through?

(GatoCommodore) #17

@AlbinMatt said:

i doubt the people who provided the research to EA is the first one to found this method.
it is most likely that others have found this and kept it a secret

(AlbinMatt) #18

@GatoCommodore said:

@AlbinMatt said:

i doubt the people who provided the research to EA is the first one to found this method.

Well, I doubt rigging things for profit was ever a secret for any business, but it’s rather concerning when we’re talking about a competitive game, and not stocks or gambling

Though this system would stem from wanting to promote the lootboxes huh?

(Teflon Love) #19

@AlbinMatt said:

As the article mentioned in the video says EA implement the increase/decrease in opponent skill after certain win/loss tuples, which increased player engagement up to 9% (but had no impact on monetization).

(GatoCommodore) #20

@AlbinMatt said:

@GatoCommodore said:

@AlbinMatt said:

Well, I doubt rigging things for profit was ever a secret for any business, but it’s rather concerning when we’re talking about a competitive game, and not stocks or gambling

Though this system would stem from wanting to promote the lootboxes huh?

well, not only lootbox, its microtransaction in general.

people buy microtransaction stuff, give the certain individual a heightened win rate even thought the microtransaction is “Cosmetic” only.

its just very unethical, Were just hitting on the tip of the iceberg here.