Proper clan system PLEASE

(jemstar) #1

Firstly I have posted about this in the past.

forums.dirtybomb.com/discussion/24971/clan-registration#latest

Can we please have a proper clan system in Dirty Bomb?

A system where clans are registered with a once off fee like in War Thunder for example, and members need to apply or be invited to join the clan. The leader and nominated admins can invite/accept and remove members.

Why?

• Clans create loyalty to the game
  • atm anyone can and do put on tags without being invited
  • to stop fake members giving clans a bad name
  • An extra revenue stream for the game

I received this steam message tonight, I have edited the sender’s name for privacy:

11:10 PM - ******: Hey Jem, just wanted to inform you, because I would want to know the same. There were two players in Dirty Bomb today abusing people. One was Faex and the other I can’t remember. Everyone was getting pissed off with them and started saying Blood are a bunch of arseholes. Just thought you might want to know :slight_smile:

Faex is NOT a member of BLOOD. I get messages like this fairly regularly and more in game like " oh hi Jem…one of your members were being a dick tonight pissing everyone off" And I would have to explain that they are fake members…But the damage is done to our reputation.
I see at least 5 FAKE bloods per week, most remove tags when asked, but some don’t. It seems counter intuitive to have a tag system so clans can exist, but have no way clan’s can administrate who can wear the tags.

As in the above link I have posted about this before and have never had any reply from a dev. This seem like a reasonable and prudent request to me. Clans were the life of Enemy Territory and the reason it is still being played today. It probably has similar numbers to Dirty Bomb tbh and was released in 2003.

(watsyurdeal) #2

That’d be pretty cool no doubt, especially if we manage to have in game clan wars/tournaments

Thing is, is there enough players to justify it? Is the game polished enough to focus attention on it?

(jemstar) #3

@watsyurdeal said:
Thing is, is there enough players to justify it? Is the game polished enough to focus attention on it?

to player numbers I would say yes. I can’t imagine this would be too difficult to implement. And would definitely help with the retention of players in my opinion.

As for is the game polished enough I would say yes also. Yes the game is in BETA still but it still needs to retain players and is open so anyone can see how the game is now and there doesn’t seem to be any indication the game will be officially released anytime soon so in the mean time let clans help retain players.

(frostyvampire) #4

I don’t see a point in wasting time creating a new clan system.
They could just remove the tag option ingame and replace it with an option to use a Steam group tag. Pretty much what Valve did in csgo.
The tags won’t be limited to 5 characters (or whatever the current limit is) but I think it’s overall better

(watsyurdeal) #5

@jemstar said:

@watsyurdeal said:

to player numbers I would say yes. I can’t imagine this would be too difficult to implement. And would definitely help with the retention of players in my opinion.

As for is the game polished enough I would say yes also. Yes the game is in BETA still but it still needs to retain players and is open so anyone can see how the game is now and there doesn’t seem to be any indication the game will be officially released anytime soon so in the mean time let clans help retain players.

Well, there’s barely enough playing Ranked as it is, so I don’t see how clans will be much different. Plus I never seen any evidence supporting that claim, clans isn’t so much what keeps people playing as it is a strong system in place that makes playing with friends easier, or having your own place to play.

AHEM, COMMUNITY SERVERS, I SWEAR TO GOD SD

(jemstar) #6

@frostyvampire Yes steam group tags would be fine!!!

@watsyurdeal Bring on community servers!!!

(GatoCommodore) #7

thats why you only use the clan tag only in a pre-built team

when playing in pub, you dont need to attract attention like that
theres only 1 guy in my crew who uses the tag while playing pub and thats because he cant switch it back (he doesnt know how to use the console)

(Press E) #8

Please no. I don’t want to see this game fall into some cancerous guild system, it’s one of the reasons why I’ve left a lot of other games.

I occasionally use tags as jokes. See someone with a Push tag? I’ll set mine to Pull. It’s just a joke, I’d rather see people play the game and enjoy it than obsess over their teams.
I’d love to see an option to set a clantag without the console, but otherwise it’s just not a good use of dev time.
Playing with your friends is great, but you don’t need to feel like an elite middle school recess club to do that. Just play as yourself, not someone who has to bring honour to your group, and the problem solves itself.

(henki000) #9

Clans are the hearth of community, it pumps blood to living human body. People suffer from actions, they are not responsible. Wearing a clantag should be pride and honor without risk from someone sully your reputation. I dont even belong to any clan, but still i’m pro clan supporter. You see, clans are like labour union, without them nobody fights for the rights of common player. Devs are like house of lords, if labour union doesnt throw a spanner in the works, who does?

(Nail) #10

clans stand up for any one but themselves…
what planet are you on ? more like reddit ragers demanding their way

(Press E) #11

@henki000 said:
Clans are the hearth of community, it pumps blood to living human body. People suffer from actions, they are not responsible. Wearing a clantag should be pride and honor without risk from someone sully your reputation. I dont even belong to any clan, but still i’m pro clan supporter. You see, clans are like labour union, without them nobody fights for the rights of common player. Devs are like house of lords, if labour union doesnt throw a spanner in the works, who does?

You don’t need a clan to stop developers from messing things up.
Hell, look at this forum and all the other DB forums. We’re basically doing exactly what you described, and we’re not a clan.

Besides, I’ve never once seen a clan who actually acted like that. A lot of them just act like some elite group who pretends to be better than everyone else. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen a lot of cool clans, and have been offered to join several, I’m just saying what you’re describing isn’t at all limited to clans, and they can be bad too.

(jemstar) #12

@STARRYSOCK Yes some clans are elitists, but most are just a bunch of peeps that like to play together.

The point of this post was that DB have put the ability to add clantags. I assume to encourage clans to form. But why is there no way to administrate who wears the tags? I was in closed BETA and the clantag system was in place there too. So I’m guessing DB was wanting to promote clans right from the beginning. I also assume since they are aware of how important clans were to the success of W:ET.

(Nail) #13

@jemstar most clans are elitist and ONLY want to further their own agenda, clans never were and never will be important to the success of games, especially W:ET, ETPro was the major influence that made W:ET successful, it allowed proper competition, which allowed clans to exist
there will likely be a clan structure put in place for full release, but clans aren’t really of any importance at this time

(neverplayseriou) #14

@Nail said:
@jemstar most clans are elitist and ONLY want to further their own agenda, clans never were and never will be important to the success of games, especially W:ET, ETPro was the major influence that made W:ET successful, it allowed proper competition, which allowed clans to exist
there will likely be a clan structure put in place for full release, but clans aren’t really of any importance at this time

Full release, gj crushing that guy’s hopes :smiley:

(jemstar) #15

Oh I’m far from crushed!!

I cant remember the exact numbers but I think SD have 60 odd staff working on DB, up from 20. By the end of the year I think they said they will be at around 100 staff! So the full release could be closer than we think!! Tho I’m not holding my breathe.

I will repeat my self tho. SD put a clantag system into DB right from the start. All I’m asking is that it be made properly, not just the token it is now. For all the reasons I have already mentioned.

@Nail lol it was the etpro guys that were the most elitist. Going on public servers and camping newbies!!! Talking trash etc.

(GatoCommodore) #16

@jemstar said:
Oh I’m far from crushed!!

I cant remember the exact numbers but I think SD have 60 odd staff working on DB, up from 20. By the end of the year I think they said they will be at around 100 staff! So the full release could be closer than we think!! Tho I’m not holding my breathe.

I will repeat my self tho. SD put a clantag system into DB right from the start. All I’m asking is that it be made properly, not just the token it is now. For all the reasons I have already mentioned.

@Nail lol it was the etpro guys that were the most elitist. Going on public servers and camping newbies!!! Talking trash etc.

theres report button yknow

(henki000) #17

@STARRYSOCK

I think elitist claners are myth that needs to be witnessed. I’m still standing for my agnostic view, unless proven wrong. Perhaps they were even more elitist people in disguise. Perhaps everyone is a elitist in disguise. With clantag, you hold more responsibility what you say or do. It creates constituent that people can uphold or oppose. You cant be good without agony against evil, and you cant be evil without struggle against good. How can you know what is right or wrong, if there is no matter in first place? What makes people complete, is journey, not destination. Chieftain paints the destination to caves wall, but the real purpose is to convoy everyone to same trail. If wickedness lies in the shadows, you never learn to defend yourself, until it’s too late.

(jemstar) #18

@GatoCommodore say what?

(Press E) #19

@henki000 said:
@STARRYSOCK

I think elitist claners are myth that needs to be witnessed. I’m still standing for my agnostic view, unless proven wrong. Perhaps they were even more elitist people in disguise. Perhaps everyone is a elitist in disguise. With clantag, you hold more responsibility what you say or do. It creates constituent that people can uphold or oppose. You cant be good without agony against evil, and you cant be evil without struggle against good. How can you know what is right or wrong, if there is no matter in first place? What makes people complete, is journey, not destination. Chieftain paints the destination to caves wall, but the real purpose is to convoy everyone to same trail. If wickedness lies in the shadows, you never learn to defend yourself, until it’s too late.

This is a F2P steam game, not a philosophy class.

Maybe you haven’t seen any, but I’ve seen a few notable ones. One being a large clan SD specifically mentioned banning a while ago (I forget the name), the other being a clan of hacking rhino mains.
Besides, being held to a name doesn’t limit your actions either. A clan is only as good as the people within it. If most of them are elitist, guess what the clan will be like.

(henki000) #20

@STARRYSOCK

I didn’t mean to be cynical about peoples elitism. But just like in bible, first there was a game, then 2 players and finally population with different clans reigning them. Clan elitism is consequense of regular folk elitism. I dont think elitism is good thing, but it is something that vegetate as community gets greater. It’s built-in, genetical wisdom that helps people stay alive. Where did SD mention banning a clan? How long it takes to ban a bunch of cheating rhinos? We play in the world of Dirty Bomb and here philosophy matter. God is listening everywhere. But gods can choose if they want clans to burgeon gradually to thriving community. They dont just appear from void, I have created several brigade in my lifetime. If there are strong clans, it summons strong players. Only a small update can cause Butterfly effect.