Problem with custom maps in Doom 3

(Dev/Null) #1

OK, a while back I got some friends together, and tried to have a Doom 3 LAN party. I started a server on one of the standard maps, but when other people tried to join, it kept telling them “Missing 4 media PAK files.” If someone else hosted, this wasn’t a problem. Aster some troubleshooting, I took the 4 custom MP map PK4’s I had out of the base directory. After that, people could join just fine. It looks like, at least on a pure server, you must have all the same PK4’s as the server to join, even if some of those PK4’s aren’t used. So For servers with custom maps, you either can only have the maps you want to play on the server, or not run a pure server.

Anyone else have this problem?

(Zenix) #2

on a pure server, you must have all the same PK4’s as the server to join

Isn’t that the point in a pure server?

(Dev/Null) #3

Yes, but in Quake III pure server mode, the server could have PK3’s that didn’t match, as long as they weren’t being used.

(swelt) #4

It’s a known problem, I’m hoping it will be fixed in the first patch which is due soon. I really hope so, because it pretty much kills any chance of getting custom maps onto servers. I hear that it’s down to including the .def files that let the map show up in the GUI.

(Dev/Null) #5

I hope so too, because always hosting nonpure servers unless I want to move my custom pk4’s is a Bad Thing. It would be much better with a Quake III-like system. I don’t know if id is working on this or not. At QuakeCon all that was mentioned was working on the “server browser”, so maybe. Who would be the person at id to contact to ask to have this fixed, anyway?

(swelt) #6

I spoke with a friend of mine who was had been helping id test the linux server. He wasn’t sure what is being addressed in this first patch but the problem with custom maps had come up. Judging by this, id are aware. I doubt it would hurt to drop a mail explaining the error messages, the symptoms etc to someone at id. Who precisely, I don’t know.