Preview of the View-Kick Changes Coming Next Week

(Exedore) #1

In a recent Dev Q&A Video we discussed Dirty Bomb’s implementation of view-kick. In this update we are making the first changes to the view-kick system, detailed below:

View-kick (a.k.a. flinching, a.k.a. aimpunch) is a key mechanic in the gunplay of Dirty Bomb which is intended to create counter-play between weapons of different archetypes, as well as indicate to the player with a degree of urgency that they are taking damage. It is also intended to offer some benefit to the player who lands a shot first, to encourage good positional play. One of the hard-learned lessons of DB’s live phase has been the risk of making changes with no telemetry, but due to our recent work in this area we’ve been able to take a more scientific look at the current implementation. The following are view-kick calculation changes which we hope will significantly improve the feel on the receiving end of this mechanic!

Problem Identified:
We have identified an issue with view-kick which would allow certain weapons to “stack” view-kick. This meant the player on the receiving end’s view would climb, rather than reset to the original position before the next shot hit.

This only impacted a few weapons, but was particularly noticeable on the Hochfir, Hurtsall 2K and Burst-fire Rifles.

Fixing the Problem:
In order to address this issue, we have decreased time to recover by 40% for view-kick. This is a change that will impact all weapons, but should be a fairly noticeable improvement to the previously problematic weapons.

This change means that all weapons will no longer be able to climb by stacking view-kick. This should make the feel on the receiving end more controllable without losing the tactical feedback.

We will closely monitor telemetry and your feedback regarding this change once it goes live, and will iterate and improve on it as needed. As ever, please be sure to let us know what you think!

(pumpkinmeerkat) #2

Excellent! Thanks for post!!

Was stacking occurring with high RPM weapons because the reset time was longer than the time between shots? Damage still dictates the amplitude of view-kick correct?

(GatoCommodore) #3

@pumpkinmeerkat said:
Excellent! Thanks for post!!

Was stacking occurring with high RPM weapons because the reset time was longer than the time between shots? Damage still dictates the amplitude of view-kick correct?

i thought view kick is the same for any weapon regardless of damage?

(nokiII) #4

The change doesn’t adress the problem with aimpunch at all.
i.e. the violent screen shaking which looks really jarring and disruptive (that’ll be even worse now), it being more effective close range while being touted as a sniper counter and the general stacking of rng mechanics which amplify each other to the point of unfun gunplay.

(blufflord) #5

@nokiII said:
i.e. the violent screen shaking which looks really jarring and disruptive (that’ll be even worse now), it being more effective close range while being touted as a sniper counter and the general stacking of rng mechanics which amplify each other to the point of unfun gunplay.

They called it the first changes, so who knows, maybe more changes will be made later on to address that.

(hoyes) #6

It is good you guys are doing this. While many, including myself, think that aimpunch should not be in the game, I understand the arguments stated previously and I do believe these changes should fix a lot of grievances people have with the higher ROF weapons. While I do think more could be done as long as aimpunch exists, such as maybe adding a multiplier while adsing and then toning down aimpunch (the height on the graphs) while firing from the hip (thus adding effective counter to snipers), these are definitely an improvement, and I am excited to try them out in game.

(bgyoshi) #7

@nokiII said:

• Devs fix something they never addressed before
  • Complain it’s not good enough
  • Imply the change does nothing to the game
  • Refuse to acknowledge dev work

It would’ve been easier to say “One down, many more to go. Could you please address the violent screen shaking and general stacking of rng mechanics that amplify each other to the point of unfun gameplay too? I hope this is coming in the future. Thanks!”

It gets the same point across and doesn’t make you look like a gobbledeguk fuckwit, and broadens community help with positive criticism.

Personally, I’m extra happy to hear the devs are making changes and now have a good telemetry system so they can properly address these issues.

Keep up the good work devs!

(ragnak) #8

Didnt we had something exactly like that after phantom view kick changes? I remember when everyone was complaining that view kick reset too fast which made it even more jarring. Maybe its different implementation so i wont whine yet but i have a bad feeling about it :frowning:

(OwynTyler) #9

Burst-fire Rifles.

what about PDP? after balance patch mouse just gets off my mouse-pad all the time when I try to compensate aim-punch…

(Xenithos) #10

I can’t wait to see how this feels! I do however think the amount of Aimpunch you guys have on all the weapons is a bit much in amount. I shouldn’t be hit by weapons like the k-121 and not be able to hit back because my aim keeps getting kicked elsewhere…

(Melinder) #11

@bgyoshi said:
It would’ve been easier to say “One down, many more to go. Could you please address the violent screen shaking and general stacking of rng mechanics that amplify each other to the point of unfun gameplay too? I hope this is coming in the future. Thanks!”

You’re delusional if you think for a second that would result in a different outcome. Express your displeasure, and be on your way, because offering constructive feedback has never gotten anyone anywhere.

(GatoCommodore) #12

@bgyoshi said:

@nokiII said:

• Devs fix something they never addressed before
  • Complain it’s not good enough
  • Imply the change does nothing to the game
  • Refuse to acknowledge dev work

It gets the same point across and doesn’t make you look like a gobbledeguk fuckwit, and broadens community help with positive criticism.

Personally, I’m extra happy to hear the devs are making changes and now have a good telemetry system so they can properly address these issues.

Keep up the good work devs!

im more impressed on how did you bypassed the bad words censor

(bgyoshi) #13

@Melinder said:
You’re delusional if you think for a second that would result in a different outcome. Express your displeasure, and be on your way, because offering constructive feedback has never gotten anyone anywhere.

Of all the delusional people on this forum

I can assure you that he would look like less of an asshole with constructive criticism and would’ve had the same level of effectiveness. Which I do believe was my claim.

@bgyoshi said:

It gets the same point across

It has the same level of effectiveness, check

and doesn’t make you look like a gobbledeguk fuckwit,

He WOULD look like less of an asshole, check

and broadens community help with positive criticism.

Which does not mean “makes the devs listen to you more” nor “has a stronger impact on the devs.”

@GatoCommodore said:

im more impressed on how did you bypassed the bad words censor

Apparently I found a word that they haven’t listed for censorship. I imagine this forum works like all the other ones where mods/admins have a page that lists words for auto-replace. You put in a substitute word and then a list of words that are substituted, and I guess they didn’t think of that one.

(watsyurdeal) #14

I appreciate it @Exedore

But, is there any way to allow the player to receive view kick, the causes a visual cue you’re being damaged, but does not move your crosshair or center point? (basically where your bullets come out, I am saying this should not move because the player was damaged)

And to take it one step further, is there any way to implement this, so that people aiming down sights DO have their crosshair moved while taking damage, so suppressing fire actually causes the sniper to have a shot ruined if taking hits?

If you need a video for reference, here you go

In Dirty Bomb, you do have aim punch in Dirty Bomb still, it’s not as extreme as it was, but it is still there. And my personal issue is it should not affect my actual aim while hipfiring, only provide a visual screen shake that informs me I am hit.