Press "F" to revive Brink

(kyuto9) #1

So i know there is Dirty Bomb in the cook these days and that devs completely gave up on Brink, it’s a shame. I wish they were as obstinate to keep Brink alive as they do to keep Dirty Bomb ****ty (imo).

Only reasons why Brink did die was community and devs abandon, not much balancing. Balancing is possible if devs and players give an actual ****. instead of taking 1 more year to fix issues and update the game frequently, they let it rust and people left.
Also Brink was a disaster due to it’s console parallel developpement and porting. Interface, and gameplay value got polluated by console adaptation. Look, as much as i hate Dirty Bomb, it’s PC exclusive and there is more players on the actual beta than ever on Brink final release.

But i do not post to cry my rage. I did come to ask and talk about any bit of hope in bringing Brink back on stage with more than a dozen players wolrdwide.
Here are hypothetic solutions :

• Brink becomes f2p and make a bit of buzz (but considering DB, it’d be awkward.)
  • SD give us tools to tweak the game and make our own balancing/update via a passionnate community team.
  • SD don’t give us tools and we’d have to break into the game code by ourselves to fix it
  • Or perhaps the balancing does not need any breakthrough or tools and it’s just matter of server cvars or cfg.txt to share with players

It may seem weird but i don’t want Brink 2, i want the original Brink because i could not enjoy it as much as i would when i bought it. Players left within weeks i could only play after exams back then, and when i joined, i saw a dozen punks still playing on maybe 4 servers. I understand the parkour system was slowass ****, netcode was a disaster and weapons were (it’s true) the worst i came to fire in a fps in my entire life.
But in video game, this is just matter of values, it is not impossible to rectify.

Is there any way in this world that anyone, a group of people maybe, can get this done with or without SD help?
Brink was bad but it still has great potential, it’s just sleeping there, in deep ocean.

(Nail) #2

the publisher (Bethesda) abandoned the game before release, nothing much could be done after that, it’s not SD’s IP

(kyuto9) #3

I see, so there is only amateur intervention to hope for, unless ip’s owner decides to do something.

(tangoliber) #4

I still remember Brink fondly. The gunplay was not good. I much prefer Dirty Bomb’s speed and gunplay.
But the sense of teamwork I got was actually stronger in Brink than in Dirty Bomb. Stronger than in any game, really. I believe that the frustrating, random spread gunplay is directly responsible for the sense of being-a-part-of-a-team that you get in Brink. There is a strong sense of demarkation between your team’s controlled territory and enemy territory. You can have long, sluggish gun fights of reviving and re-supplying, clearing and fortifying. This doesn’t happen when players kill faster and move faster…it’s harder to see where territory control ends and where it begins…it’s harder to make tactical decisions as a team.

I loved the class balance in Brink. Early on, everyone thought that Medics and Engineers were the over-powered classes. But months later, it actually kind of shifted towards soldiers. Operatives always had a strong role, especially as briefcase carriers. It’s also one of the only games I know of where hacking turrets is an actual efficient use of your time.

I love the heavy’s in Brink. They are fun and lovable.

I really like the map design, despite certain difficult choke points. Container City and Security Tower are such an epic gauntlet with so many objective points. The maps had a lot of little extraneous nooks and crannies that were rarely used. But on rare occasions, the fight might drift over to those odd little spots.

The game also never really had a big problem with boring outcomes. A high percentage of matches I played came down to the wire. It is very much a dramatic ending creation engine.

Finally, it was a game that almost anyone could play. In Dirty Bomb, I recognize many of the people who absolutely destroy me as people who had similar killing power to me back in Brink. It’s still a “skill” based game, but in the way that a MOBA is a “skill” based game. It was all about your decision making in chaos, not your aim.

Dirty Bomb is a much better game, but there were a lot of things I enjoyed about Brink.

Anyway, here are some old videos of mine. Most of them were done in demo recording mode, so the demos are very glitchy. (Crosshairs are not accurate, and it looks very choppy at times.)

(kyuto9) #5

While watching your vids, i can’t hold all these feels of mine. Anyone can see in a matter of seconds how different the game feels from dirty bomb.
I had some heart bump, I was so involved in Brink. In DB i just don’t care if we can’t win, I play, i wait xp to rain (as much as it can…).

As you told it, DB is more like moba : unique characters with predetermined loadouts. In Brink the bodytype was very important actually and gave responsability. Also, every objectiv can be build/blown/carried by anybody and that is putting adrenaline aside imo. We all like “whatever, there will probly be one of the 9 dudes ahead to complete the objectiv, no need to hurry”. While in Brink the team had to find the right balance between objectiv classes and sideclasses. Coordination and adaptation was team related not score related unlike DB. In this one, people change class because they get raped, while in Brink you changed class because you saw there was lack of this or lack of that.

I played Slim Medic all the time on Brink. I made duo with a friend (also slim medic) and we did not have to raise weapons most of the time cuz we were runners and just dealt seringes to downed teammates. It gave huge adrenaline and stress, which i never felt in DB. I felt so damn useful. In DB i can’t kill sh1t, i can’t medic properly, not engi, not snipe etc… I really can’t find my place in this game. I hate all characters and play skyhammer only because it conforts me to play m4 as i do play that weapon in other fps. In Brink i liked almost all classes but hated all weapons, the problem was different. So to fix it, i just took a runny medic : no use of crappy weapon, no much death ratio, and serves the team well. In DB i’m good at nothing, nowhere, never. it bore me to death to not find something to enjoy in this game but the fact i’m in Closed Beta.

=======================

Still i must admit brink was way from perfection. The fps actually sucked more than DB. The feedback was dull if existent at all… DB got all this. Weapons have punch, camera shakes are nice. Db has the overall speed Brink should have : it was supposed to be a smooth parkour, nervous teambased fps. I tried it yesterday and it’s so slow, no smooth at all, the parkour is sh1t, i felt like being my grandma trying to get out of her seat after dinner. So basically Brink had a bad fps system and a bad speed/parkour. All 3 points were important tho. It probly killed the reputation of the game until people left.

But DB lacks of things that made Brink a great game imo :

• full character customisation
  • not really good guns, but a tons of them to choose (with stats display)
  • weapons customistion
  • skill/abilities to unlock, equip or sell back to buy others anytime
  • bodytype choice and related playstyle/weapons
  • good old class system with related objectives/interactions, and forbidden ones
  • more objectives (and objectives type)
  • level design less linear than DB and more vertical (but it not much DB purpose)
  • my opinion, but the overall universe and designs (characters/maps) were badass while DB’s are so average.
  • close range buffs (i personnally hate the bagdrop thingy, i prefered when i actually had to be near teammates to give them what they needed)

Since i play DB, i only noticed Brink did not have girls in characters, that was a shame.
So I guess a mix between Brink and DB could bring some badass stuff. Not even mentionning original ET concepts (but then…then, that’d be Splashdamage best fvckin game ever if they mix those 3 games!)

I know there were toplayers on Brink i could not stand against, even with my past experience. But i’d give money to see several brink servers full of passionate people for one day, and being able to play with them…

Thanks for your post btw. It is good to see i am not the only one seriously regretting some Brink aspects.

(njezic) #6

I play Dirty Bomb for about a year, and in Brink have more than 1000h playing in multiplayer and I can say that only now can see how the solution applied in Brink was excellent and it is very difficult to realize the same things in a similar way as it is now SD trying in Dirty Bomb.

The interaction among team members in Brink was perfectly done and smart move is a miracle. Brink has a really perfect teamwork and object based solutions applied that no one game has reached yet…

Both games are great and specific, but the Dirty Bomb is hard, much skill based, very fast and not for beginners in that type of FPS multiplayer game, needs a lot od preparation for successfully playing. Dirty Bomb in this stage don’t have a user customization for character, weapons, perks,…

In any case I am for making the game “Brink 2” where SD can eliminate some gaps and add new things to the existing game. The large group of people (groups on steam) who would play that game has been formed and it would be a big hit for sure.

(kyuto9) #7

Still the group can’t gather enough people at the same time.

(Be_Happy) #8

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ! :slight_smile:

I’m trying to put some stuff together to make brink as alive as possible, with, at least a decent server.
Right now, there’s a server issue wich they’re invisible. Since that issue, we lost many player, but previously, even with no clan, team, tournament etc, the game was fine, and people kept playing it.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/22350/discussions/0/618460171316801716/

I’ll accept any serious help to put this project up and running. I may need some time for personnal matters but it won’t be too long.

(kyuto9) #9

What is your plan actually?
I joined 2 steam groups already in order to catch on active brink players, but I happened to meet 3 or 4 at the same time on the server. And not everyday…
What would make this group different?

(oZZyMCToZZy) #10

Honestly, i would hope for a brink 2 and i’m sure it will happen or atleast they’ll think about it. just not for a long time, or not atleast till their done with DB. Brink did have a great teamwork system, theme and story. Only issue was they didn’t deliver it the way they should have. The parkour system was really rough and slow, combat was crazy and very unbalanced so overall the gameplay wise of the game was just really rusty and bad. but the ideas was amazing, the story, character customization, weapon types, the overall possibilities on what you can do in the game was immense. Hell the story of the game was pretty interesting, and i’m sure they won’t just leave it and forget about it without thinking about it again at some point. the game through hints at you with the possibilities of a Brink 2 and if they can learn from their mistake and actually take their time to fix em, and throw in some ideas from DB and W:ET then it can actually be an amazing game.

It’s just that they haven’t really made a game for themselves for a pretty long time, not sense W:ET and suddenly making a game like brink so suddenly was a gamble and after some reviews and how things was going, they just got discouraged easily and just left the game, at least not before updates and a free DLC. hell that was a hefty blow on their finance, but i’m sure after DB they’ll get some inspiration to come back to brink at some point mainly because DB is going pretty well with reviews and such.

Dirty Bomb is more of a shooter/fast pace
Brink is big on character customization, story and creativity wise plus Teamwork
and Wolfenstein: enemy Territory is also great at teamwork somewhat and story plus action. and the same as DB, fast paced shooter.
Combine the 3 in some way or 2 of’em and brink 2 can actually be a pretty interesting game. Cause of they made Dirty Bomb with the help of W:ET then brink 2 can be made with the help of DB ideas.

(njezic) #11

[QUOTE=oZZyMCToZZy;536101]Honestly, i would hope for a brink 2 and i’m sure it will happen or atleast they’ll think about it. just not for a long time, or not atleast till their done with DB. Brink did have a great teamwork system, theme and story. Only issue was they didn’t deliver it the way they should have. The parkour system was really rough and slow, combat was crazy and very unbalanced so overall the gameplay wise of the game was just really rusty and bad. but the ideas was amazing, the story, character customization, weapon types, the overall possibilities on what you can do in the game was immense. Hell the story of the game was pretty interesting, and i’m sure they won’t just leave it and forget about it without thinking about it again at some point. the game through hints at you with the possibilities of a Brink 2 and if they can learn from their mistake and actually take their time to fix em, and throw in some ideas from DB and W:ET then it can actually be an amazing game.

It’s just that they haven’t really made a game for themselves for a pretty long time, not sense W:ET and suddenly making a game like brink so suddenly was a gamble and after some reviews and how things was going, they just got discouraged easily and just left the game, at least not before updates and a free DLC. hell that was a hefty blow on their finance, but i’m sure after DB they’ll get some inspiration to come back to brink at some point mainly because DB is going pretty well with reviews and such.

Dirty Bomb is more of a shooter/fast pace
Brink is big on character customization, story and creativity wise plus Teamwork
and Wolfenstein: enemy Territory is also great at teamwork somewhat and story plus action. and the same as DB, fast paced shooter.
Combine the 3 in some way or 2 of’em and brink 2 can actually be a pretty interesting game. Cause of they made Dirty Bomb with the help of W:ET then brink 2 can be made with the help of DB ideas.[/QUOTE]
Very good observation and consideration, let’s hope the SD that accept and make Brink 2 after a DB become a very popular game and bring together a larger player base. I have long intensive play DB and I can say that can not be replaced Brink 2, because of the unbelievable solutions applied in Brink and difficult it would be to any game of same genre reach that.

(Nail) #12

lol, today was the first day I got Brink running since I bought it on release, all it took was installing it on my new (for me) laptop

(oZZyMCToZZy) #13

I agree, Brink created it’s very own way of accomplishing tasks with teamwork. And many other games did have troubles accomplishing that in the way brink has. Brink was more of a TeamWork kind of gameplay than some Fast paced competitive shooter and that’s what i loved about it. It wasn’t about who got the most kill and the most impressive K/D Ratio it was more about who can work together the best to accomplish their tasks. If they take their time and implement some ideas from DB, mainly the balancing between teams, guns and damages and try to fix their gameplay making parkour more smoother and free then i’m positive Brink 2 can be a successful game. Plus again the story is just too good to leave out like that, god knows what else is out there and what they will do about it.

(Nail) #14

Brink belongs to Bethesda, they are not interested in every hearing that title again

(oZZyMCToZZy) #15

You can’t really say that unless bethesda actually say that themselves. but really all it takes is time and if they really didn’t care about the title, then they might as well just sell the IP.