PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

(Anti) #1

Hey folks,

We love your keen nature and that thirst to achieve the perfect server config, but we’ve noticed over the last few days that there seem to be a large number of issues with servers that are being caused by overzealous custom configs.

When you do make your own config please bear in mind that the console, and many of the cvars in it, are not officially supported and in many cases may not work as expected, or even at all. For example you should not be adjusting bot_enable when trying to add or remove bots, only bot_minClients.

With that in mind, please try to follow these simple rules with your server and its configs:

[ul]
[li]Try to stick to the default configs supplied with the server if possible[/li][li]If you’re running a server on a custom config and hit any issues, please remove the config and try one of the defaults[/li][li]Try adding one or two cvars at a time to your config and testing it before you add more, so you can narrow down the problem cvar if you find one[/li][li]When reporting server bugs on this forum always supply a console log and your config[/li][/ul]By following these steps you’ll really help us seperate the genuine server issues that need to be fixed from the config releated errors that we can advise you to avoid!

Finally, here’s a Tapir :stroggtapir:

(Crytiqal) #2

Could I pretty please ask for a list of non supported cvars if thats not too much trouble?

(xTriXxy) #3

Thnanks Anti,im ok with default server settings without bots and without team damage. As Crytiqal said, can we have list of supported cvars only?

(gooey79) #4

I’d love to understand the rationale behind:

[ul][li]The decision to use pre-defined configurations
[/li][li]Reducing the number of customisable options of id Tech 4.
[/li][li]Why communication on configuring servers has been so poor[/ul]
[/li]
It feels like PC servers are affected as a result of the game being built for multi-platform - consoles don’t have the same flexibility in server control. Is this why the PC servers don’t, either?

I’ll caveat my statements by saying I do love playing games on console and this isn’t a dig at them. But. When I choose to buy for PC, I’m expecting some things fundamental to the experience. That includes the ability to set up and control my own dedicated server. Unfortunately, I can’t do that if half of the options don’t work.

Over the last few days (before your post, OP), I’ve been giving Multiplay a hard time for the lag on the server. Following your post though, it does appear that there’s at least the possibility that my customising the server has led to the problems.

I would appreciate you taking the time to explain the decision as well as echoing previous posters comments on providing a list of variables we can work with.

(keefy) #5

High Goo :slight_smile:

(gooey79) #6

Keefy, well hello there.

:slight_smile:

To add to my post, I’ve returned to a stock (Advanced) configuration with just a few additions (that I know do work) and so far, so good - no lag. Will need more than two games to fully confirm but looking more positive.

My questions still stand though, I think they’re fair.

(BMXer) #7

I am curious about applyServerConfig.
What config is getting applied with this? If it’s set to “applyServerConfig Competition”, what “competition” config is being applied?

How can I see what is being changed exactly by the applyServerConfig command?

(gooey79) #8

It relates to pre-determined configuration files created by Splash Damage.

To find out what settings each of the 4 configurations apply to, click here.

(Mustang) #9

I guess by unpacking the *.sdpk2 files
Anyone know how?
They are using the PlayStation compression algorithm?

(light_sh4v0r) #10

Multiplay server here too, massive lagspikes when people join or leave, and changing map sometimes takes so long it kicks everyone off the server. Halp!

(The-Crow) #11

[QUOTE=*goo;313008]It relates to pre-determined configuration files created by Splash Damage.

To find out what settings each of the 4 configurations apply to, click here.[/QUOTE]

I dont think the descriptions in the PDF are actually entirely correct (a bit like the misprinted serverhijack info). Mine shouldnt spawn bots but it was until I switched it off in my own config.

(Busterking) #12

[QUOTE=*goo;312753]I’d love to understand the rationale behind:

[ul][li]The decision to use pre-defined configurations
[/li][li]Reducing the number of customisable options of id Tech 4.
[/li][li]Why communication on configuring servers has been so poor[/ul]
[/li]
It feels like PC servers are affected as a result of the game being built for multi-platform - consoles don’t have the same flexibility in server control. Is this why the PC servers don’t, either?

I’ll caveat my statements by saying I do love playing games on console and this isn’t a dig at them. But. When I choose to buy for PC, I’m expecting some things fundamental to the experience. That includes the ability to set up and control my own dedicated server. Unfortunately, I can’t do that if half of the options don’t work.

Over the last few days (before your post, OP), I’ve been giving Multiplay a hard time for the lag on the server. Following your post though, it does appear that there’s at least the possibility that my customising the server has led to the problems.

I would appreciate you taking the time to explain the decision as well as echoing previous posters comments on providing a list of variables we can work with.[/QUOTE]

+1

Let us customize our own servers. Whats so hard to understand about that?

(Crytiqal) #13

you CAN customize your own server

I just want to know which cvars are actually supported for that :wink:

(Trivve) #14

[QUOTE=BMXer;313002]I am curious about applyServerConfig.
What config is getting applied with this? If it’s set to “applyServerConfig Competition”, what “competition” config is being applied?

How can I see what is being changed exactly by the applyServerConfig command?[/QUOTE]

I was curious to know about that as well so here goes:

si_teamDamage "1"
si_maxPlayers "16"
si_maxTeamSize "5"
si_minPlayers "4"
si_maxPlayersHuman "16"
si_rankRestricted "0"
si_globalVoipEnabled "1"
si_teamVoipEnabled "1"
si_readyPercent "50"
g_deadSpectateTime "-1"
bot_minClients "0"
g_countdown "0.0"
g_enableTeamBuffs "0"
g_enableSuperBuffs "0"
g_enableIntelGathering "0"
si_scriptControlledtimeLimit "0"
si_allowOvertime "0"
si_teamForceBalance "1"
g_spectatorMode "-1"
si_warmupSpawn "1"

This goes for “competition”. Not really the most suited configuration for serious competition.
Could work for pub-servers tho. :wink:

I can post the other rulesets as well if anyone is interested.

(light_sh4v0r) #15

Interesting how they put ready percentage at 50% for a ‘competition’ setup. you’d want 100% surely?

(Crispy) #16

[QUOTE=light_sh4v0r;318098]Interesting how they put ready percentage at 50% for a ‘competition’ setup. you’d want 100% surely?[/QUOTE]Don’t forget about spectators.

(Crytiqal) #17

spectators are required to “ready-up” ?

Those should be excluded imo :confused:

(Markezzz) #18

How i can set a sepperatly IP for the Server?

(Mustang) #19

Add to the command line “+set net_ip #.#.#.#”

(Package) #20

Do I have to specify on the server config whether stats are recorded? It does not show the games I play on my server (the most popular US Brink server on the PC) and every other server i’m on shows my stats. How can i fix this?