Player model criticism

(carnage) #21

Well backsnipe you started a thread asking for model criticism, I simple provided feedback based around the marking criteria I would revive in my 3D design for real-time applications module. You have a model that is somewhat representative of the real world counterpart so you get a basic pass. Excessive wasted triangles and poor topology stops you getting anything higher

I had 5000 polygons for that model,so I used prefabs to optimise it

I don’t know what you mean by this, you had a budget of 5000 polygons to make the mesh in. Prefabs? Like you started with an exiting torso mesh and changed it?

And I hate the way you want to make it,it just makes the model low polygon,ugly arms with 6-7 polygons of circonference

As I said that drawing was just a quick indication of what I meant. There is no reason why you could not use more than 7 polygons on an edge loop. In fact I would defiantly expect more, just its quite hard to draw a detailed wire frame by hand. http://www.codehook.com/images/wireframe1big.jpg perhaps this would have been a better indication

If the model works well with animations I’ve got no reason to change it at all

An entirely valid point of view depending on what you reason for creating the model is. But begs the question if you are happy with it and don’t want to change it why create a thread asking for criticism

Sorry for sounds a bit harsh in this post, but I find it very annoying when people imply they have experience of a subject based solely on the amount of time they have been using the tool. Especial when I have seem students new to 3d modelling produce far better quality models after just two terms of working with the tools

(BackSnip3) #22

Sorry for that stupid and “aggressive” post,I was annoyed and though I had only one solution,to remake it all.Yes I used a naked guy prefab.But I worked on the model and succeeded to get that quadrangles model(on the shirt only,arms looks too hard).It looks the same ingame(great),but I want to say that LightRay destroys all normals and makes ugly models,whereas blender makes good results with .md3s ,quite annoying for the final model.:confused:

The lighted part of the model looks like blinking when you turn the model,just a detail :slight_smile:
Will test animations soon.
Here are the mesh and the in-game lighting:

(carnage) #23

[QUOTE=BackSnip3;201168]Sorry for that stupid and “aggressive” post,I was annoyed and though I had only one solution,to remake it all.Yes I used a naked guy prefab.But I worked on the model and succeeded to get that quadrangles model(on the shirt only,arms looks too hard).It looks the same ingame(great),but I want to say that LightRay destroys all normals and makes ugly models,whereas blender makes good results with .md3s ,quite annoying for the final model.:confused:

The lighted part of the model looks like blinking when you turn the model,just a detail :slight_smile:
Will test animations soon.
[/QUOTE]

No problem. I know that modelling can get a bit stressful at time.

By contrasting you new and old mesh its immediately clear that your new one is much better designed and though about. I know I keep going on about it but it is a really good idea to try and keep your mesh as clean as possible. Not just for in game purposes but to help you and other work on it. You should find that you can now easily add and remove edge loops as you see fit. As before if you wanted to reduce the number of vertices in an area of the mesh it would have been a very big task. And it also helps other get a better idea of your mesh and offer better advice with it.

As for where you can got from here. There are still a few triangles kicking around your mesh, have a think and look for ways you can reduce them. The attachment shows how you might consider removing those under the armpits.

The arm mesh is still in a bit of a state as you say. Make a file copy and play with it, don’t be afraid to experiment with the mesh. Looking at the arms I can sort of make you edges that are running all the way around the arm. These can be a good starting point, try and reconstruct the gaps between them with quads

In your in game shots im noticing a pretty weird lighting artefact around the end of the sleeves. I think its because the sleeve and arm are at different heights and its causing a row of faces that are at a very different angle to the faces of the sleeve and arm. Sadly because of the way ET uses vertex lighting on models small detailed like this don’t usually light very well. I would try putting that ring on a separate smooth group, if your export format supports it. Or just have a smooth transition from sleeve to arm.

But more importantly just keep working on its cos it really looks to be coming together. And please please share how you actually got it into ET. You mentioned blender, or do you need lightwave

(AlphaRed12) #24

I would suggest taking the two side verts and merging with the other two side verts. Basically just closing that gap there. Hopefully you can see in my paintover. Because if you do as Carnage suggests, it creates 2 more tris. Best to keep her in quads as long as possible before converting to tris.

(carnage) #25

slap self Yeah much better idea Red

(AlphaRed12) #26

Ya, I was wondering what you were doing. Good thing I looked at it, cause I was gonna trust that you gave him the correct fix.
Anyways, personally I’m not liking the 2 tris at the top of his chest. But I think you got them in a reasonable spot to not worry so much. But I agree with Carnage, much improved topo on the second try.

(varsovie) #27

Maybe another thing …
I think most people heard ever before about:

• Left 4 Dead or - Zombie panic .

About year ago i saw server with ET Zombie mod but seems this project died ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeG4ZSMCxWs

Why we can’t find people a build some nightmare ET mod:

• nightmare models
  • nightmare textures / maps.
  • many splata, gibs and blooooood :stroggbanana:
    The best optimized for:
  • Human (Allies)
  • AI (Axis, only the few wants play zombie only with axe)

= Gameplay =
Don’t sure if possible - every 30sec /addbot for axis so after 10min we have 20 zombie in each resp to kill :smiley: If possible to do it from map script on another way.
It can be really funny.

(BackSnip3) #28

[QUOTE=varsovie;201418]Maybe another thing …
I think most people heard ever before about:

• Left 4 Dead or - Zombie panic .

About year ago i saw server with ET Zombie mod but seems this project died ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeG4ZSMCxWs

Why we can’t find people a build some nightmare ET mod:

• nightmare models
  • nightmare textures / maps.
  • many splata, gibs and blooooood :stroggbanana:
    The best optimized for:
  • Human (Allies)
  • AI (Axis, only the few wants play zombie only with axe)

= Gameplay =
Don’t sure if possible - every 30sec /addbot for axis so after 10min we have 20 zombie in each resp to kill :smiley: If possible to do it from map script on another way.
It can be really funny.[/QUOTE]

Download the mod:Bobot Zombie mod and try it,it fits a bit with what you actually want.
http://www.wmaker.net/bobots/file/38593/

(stealth6) #29

maybe the server went down because it was a boring mod.

Players only went on the allied team (humans) an then they got on a rock or a mountain as fdops and then just shoot the zombies.

The zombies were useless, when people shot you you could not run forwards, so only when they had to reload.

(varsovie) #30

Maybe zombie mod just needed special map to avoid players to hide from zombies :slight_smile: But it give me better idea … why not make
TALIBAN MOD for ET
Bots can only use grenade and/or blow self when are too near real players - so even humans hide on rock grenade will reach them :stroggbanana:
So maybe BackSnip3 can do Taliban model for axis :smiley:

http://www.malagent.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/pakastani-pro-taliban-militants.jpg

(BackSnip3) #31

So it would be Rambos vs Talibans?CoOL :smiley:
@Varsovie:Approved,will think about making it,you’ve got some crazy ideas!:slight_smile: Keep it up guys on giving ideas,I can make 10 different models so…

(shagileo) #32

Thunderpwn made a ‘war against terrorism’ mod once.
Maybe he can help you out

(BackSnip3) #33

Back in the playermodelling,I just wanted the players proportions to look more natural without strange proportions,I made one new model,you may not see a lot of difference from far away but from close you will enjoy more detail :slight_smile:
I may create new models if I got the time,because school starts again Monday :frowning:
Here are the pics,but they are huge and don’t fit in the page, anyway to make smaller clickable images without using attachments?

pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic

(ischbinz) #34

i like the model - nice work :slight_smile:
you forgot - link to dl it as pk3 :wink:

(BackSnip3) #35

Ofc! :smiley:
http://man4.free.fr/3D/playermodels/z_newbody.pk3

(AlphaRed12) #36

It looks ok but coudl use some work. I notice the bad texture seams on the boots but I’m sure you already know that. I did a quick paintover to show the things that stuck out at me first.
But definitely a good start. Just need soem tweaking to get the correct proportions.

(ischbinz) #37

hehe - nice thought alpha red -
but
he used the et bones
so he cannot change the sizes so much - otherwise the movement look more than weird

(Pegazus) #38

Looking good but the face looks a bit off scale with the rest of the body. Other than that sweet.

(BackSnip3) #39

Yeah I noticed that issue, this part is not really nicely modelled :wink:
Alpha Red,your img is so small that I can’t see $@#& !I give you the source .obj file so that you can fix it yourself.
http://man4.free.fr/3D/playermodels/torso.obj
Do save as if it draws as text.:stroggtapir:

(AlphaRed12) #40

Sorry about the small pic, try this…Click Me
Must’ve been the attachment resizing it.