Phantom's Somewhat needed change

(Steve_Harvey) #1

Phantom, as always, was that merc that you’d barely see in any competitive match. If you saw him running at you, he was pretty simple to counter, it’s called unload mags on him. Now, we have a huge change to him and his ability.

-Health buff? Nice.
-Full invisibility? Love it.

What about the delay between uncloaking and attacking? Little short delay like the Spy from TF2?

That’s where I want to begin with an issue I have.

Phantom’s biggest advantage was that he had the element of surprise at almost every turn. You see a proxy or sparks rolling up on the MG nest on Terminal? Refractive Armor and wait for them. Instantly down them from behind, they never knew what hit 'em.

Now, you have to uncloak, THEN attack. That’s not the worst thing, but that sets him to a big disadvantage. Not being able to absorb damage with armor makes him a little less viable in any kind of real match. You get caught in a crossfire between a Thunder and a Bushwhacker, chances are, you’ll sneak through, but you’ll take damage.

Let me set an example

(Pre-Phantom): A proxy is coming down to the MG nest on Terminal (Near first OBJ). You cloak inside the little room and wait for her footsteps to run up on her and oneshot her into being downed. You finish her off and wait for your next target, whom will probably also meet the same demise.

Pros to this scenario:

-Proxy is down on their team until the next spawn wave
-Simple kills
-Simple XP

Cons to this scenario:

-Proxy, if not a moron, would use common sense and either hear the Phantom’s invis hum, or, look around in the room, or atleast place a mine and try to listen for him coming up on her.
-The opposing team would probably also learn there’s a phantom in the room waiting
-Phantom could for some reason lose the fight if the Proxy was smart.

(Post-Phantom) A proxy is coming down to the MG nest on Terminal. You cloak on the railing, fully invisible, and wait for her to pass you before uncloaking and hoping she doesn’t flick around and one-pump you to hell. You (hopefully) oneshot the proxy, slower than you would as Pre-Phantom.

Pros to this:

-Proxy cannot see you AT ALL
-Easy kill, Easy XP.
-Simple to avoid any backup Proxy may come back with.

Cons to this:

-If Proxy were to bump into Phantom, (he could hide in the room, too), she could quite easily catch him offguard and down him before he has a chance to use his Katana against her.
-Now that the team knows there’s a phantom, they’ll probably be more aware and more difficult to uncloak behind and take down.

I loved being able to just hop out of invisibility and oneshot or twoshot almost every single merc, taking down even 4 man teams in the blink of an eye. Now, they’ll see me coming uncloaked and shoot me, or, I have to be more careful than I was before, making the job more difficult for me Before, I would absorb the damage they shoot into me as I run into the nest of people, and quickly take atleast one down.

This is probably me over-reacting or taking his changes in the wrong direction 100%, but the only issue I have with Phantom’s change is the attack delay after uncloaking. Doesn’t mean it’ll make me quit DB, theres only one thing that can, that’s ranked passes, which is for another thread, I guess. Don’t make us pay to play Ranked (even tho barely anyone does).

Anyways, share what you think on his changes, and yeah, have a good day or something idk. RIP Phantom’s element of surprise :frowning:

(Steve_Harvey) #2

Note: I didn’t even bother to speak about his EMP Pulse, It’s really cool, but isn’t a change I’m worrying about. It’s just cool. :slight_smile:

(TheStrangerous) #3

The buff better make him gud again, cause otherwise we’ll be gettin’ over 148329 more Phantom threads 'til next buff.

(bgyoshi) #4

You won’t be able to just lay down in front of a doorway and slash anymore, no

But you will be able to get behind a team without them ever knowing

And you’ll learn the timing to uncloaking and slashing before an opponent can notice

Even in TF2 where spy is a thing, people don’t turn around and check for them enough

I can’t imagine it’ll be any different in this case.

(Ptiloui) #5

Even in TF2 where spy is a thing, people don’t turn around and check for them enough

I can’t imagine it’ll be any different in this case.

Well, people just keep getting blown up by proxy’s mine in the most obvious spots (like at objectives)…

Phantom was still enjoyable in pub games, because of all the mess around, it was still easy to sneak around. The only hope we can all have is that this change can make him viable for competitive play.

(woodchip) #6

Stop making balance threads about stuff no one could possibly know about. We don’t know how long the delay is, we DO know that without some delay 100% invis phantom would be absurd, and that’s all we know. Keep in mind Crotzni TTK to head is about .4 seconds, just .15 over the average human reaction time. Instant decloak full invis phantom would get virtually free kills on every open. It would be like when Phantom opens on you out of the blue, except he’ll be able to do it at point blank range and every single time he presses Q instead of once ever 4.

Not to mention being able to 1 shot katana Aura on CD. I mean cmon dude we get it you are a Phantom main.

Soif you think phantom with instant decloak from full invis would be cool you are too biased to post on this topic. Sry.

"I loved being able to just hop out of invisibility and oneshot or twoshot almost every single merc, taking down even 4 man teams in the blink of an eye. Now, they’ll see me coming uncloaked and shoot me, or, I have to be more careful than I was before, making the job more difficult for me "

Oh. Well I’m sorry about that.

(K1X455) #7

What about his RECON abilites?

Is the EMP just it? Disable deployables by farting in range?

He’ll get TRUMPed by Hunter when he rolls out the e-glue.

(Xenithos) #8

Guys… It’s really shameful that I feel I gotta say something, but he’s not even out yet, and neither is Hunter, and you guys are already talking about problems you THINK are going to be here…

And one more thing, if he truly is 100% invisible with some delay for cloaking you’re probably not going to be trying to stab every fudging proxy anymore, or going for them. You’ll probably be positioning yourself behind the enemy team at great chokepoints and then picking them off one by one as they flee attackers or something.

(FalC_16) #9

I have more ideas how phantom could become more viable in terms of ptfo.

His EMP ability could actually disable moving EV and/or it could disable proxy’s blow torch. The downside to this would be his close proximity to the target objective.

(Eox) #10

Moving to Mercenary Discussions.

(GatoCommodore) #11

@FalC_16 said:

His EMP ability could actually disable moving EV and/or it could disable proxy’s blow torch. The downside to this would be his close proximity to the target objective.

now this is an interesting idea.
if blowtorch is out engies will be like
“oh crap”

this is actually pretty cool.

(Xenithos) #12

@FalC_16 said:

Holy crap, this is a good idea. QUICK, GET SD DEVS IN HERE!

(fryszopen) #13

Imagine how OP phantom would be if on top of being fully invisible he can attack while invisible… yeah. Im actually ok that now he cannot attack while being invisible.

(Craikn) #14

@fryszopen said:
Imagine how OP phantom would be if on top of being fully invisible he can attack while invisible… yeah. Im actually ok that now he cannot attack while being invisible.

yeah and now we got THIS…nearly invis ( rly hard to spot visually while infight with X explosions around, can stab out of cloak and can´t be spoted in cloak)…just to balance him a last time make him spotabel by vasilli and aimee again thats all i ask for SD :frowning: ! He still can be seen rly hard by all…