Operation Evil Eye 23:57 hrs

(kat) #61

On 2002-09-23 17:02, demonspawn wrote:
Interesting, but I’m not sure because when I did a test compile and run with it everything went smooth.
Testing the 1st episode… sounds like your close :smile: can’t wait to see it.

I’ve got the in-game camera cut to work, really wasn’t as hard as I thought, thanks to Karloff.

map on

yes. getting close… my co-hort and I are about to tidy the scripting and start the voice work…

as for the menu stuff, we’ve used a slightly different approach to load the mod that loads into a cutomised main menu… once we’ve got it sorted out I’ll post the info

(demonspawn) #62

Very cool, can’t wait

(demonspawn) #63

Operation Evil Eye is ready for round #2
I’d like to thank Osias for allowing me to use his site (www.screammachines.biz) to store the zip file.
ftp://screams.no-ip.com/
The username is BETA
The password in TEST
It takes a few minuits to down load.
Once again it is a SP map so follow the install instructions carefully.
Enjoy and please tell me what you think.

Play on
Demonspawn

(kat) #64

can you add some file size info?? I’m on 56k still…! I might try and grab it tonight as I’m off to a friends for a SP coding session tomorrow, I’ll see if I can grab it for that.

(demonspawn) #65

14.7 megs
It has a slew of new content, shaders, scripts, textures, rooms and cameras.
It took me 12 minuits to download it and I have a cable conection.
I hope you take the time Kat, you won’t be disapointed :wink:

(kat) #66

cheers… I’ll try and grab this tommorrow (where I’ve got possible access to BroadBand) if not asap…!

(kat) #67

DS, just got back today so posting this to let you know I’ll get this map later tonight…! (couldn’t get it at my friends…)

(demonspawn) #68

Very Kewl
Let me know what you think.

(Ghast) #69

does it need anything from the previous versions/maps??? Don’t remember how it works with your SPs and the read_me.txt didn’t completely prepare me for placing a folder called Operation Evil Eye there next to my RTCW .exe?

(demonspawn) #70

? not sure what you mean
But no you don’t need anything from the old map, delete it off your system.

1. save the “Operation Evil Eye.zip” into a temp folder. Unzip it into that same temp folder. You now have an OEE.pk3 and a readme file.
  2. Unzip the oee.pk3 into the root RTCW folder. This will create a new folder of “oee” and a directory structure under it.
  3. in the oee folder is an “oee.bat”, double click that and your in the game.

(kat) #71

…3) in the oee folder is an “oee.bat”, double click that and your in the game.

Ghast: I found it handy to right click and ‘Create Shortcut (send to desktop)’ copy of this .bat file, runs from that ok.

slightly OT, there shouldn’t be that keyboard config problem if you got the last beta version but if this is the 1st time you’ve got this, copy your default wolf config file to the OEE folder it’ll save you having to remap your keys

(kat) #72

It might be a good idea to start a new thread on the next beta release…

Finally managed to play thru it. It looks a lot more polished and the new areas and stuff that goes on adds to the way the ‘mod’ works and progresses.

A couple of things though, the whole thing is actually quite difficult to play as there is a constant FPS hit thru out the map, I’d be tempted to use a lot more structural brushwork here and there (couldn’t say where exactly without looking at the map file but you may be able to hide some of the depots innards by making the walls structural…!); I was playing on a 1.3 Athlon, 768MB, 32MB GF2 @ 1024x768 with everything on, my average FPS was around the 20-25 mark.

Wasn’t sure of the increased soldier numbers in the inner area (the new section was pretty good…!) and personally I thought the the flame thower guy was out of place (although I know you did want to get him into the map somewhere from the last beta…!) or if you had those numbers you’d need to reposition some of the health and ammo boxes so they were within easy reach during a firefight.

Good to see you got some of the book stuff working, the new cut scenes were very cool and helpful from a gameplay POV (you spent a while sorting those out…!) the Bots seemed to move about ok during those which was good to see…! You might need to check the AI paths in the radio room as the 1st time I played they bunched up running into each other so I guess you’ve got some AI paths crossing each other there abouts. There was a dissappearing texture under the steps of the 1st gun implacement which I caught by accident (the inner walls of the metal step supports), not sre what’s causing that though.

The new end sequence was good (very good actually…!) but 3, yes 3…!!! of those guys with very little player cover!!! Joking aside though, it was very difficult as they really hit the FPS esp in such a small area.

Overall, damn nice, it’s starting to have a really good ‘ambient feel’ to it (atmosphere): carry on sargent…!

(demonspawn) #73

Thanks for the feedback Kat, there are structural walls throughout the entire map, you aren’t the first to get the frame hit, with the exception of the cpu you have a more powerful computer than mine, not sure whats the issue there?
As this was my first quake map there are many things that I did that I wouldn’t do again :smile:, I could re-work things but I think in the long run I would completly scrap this map and redo it from scratch.
Building the world wasn’t the time consuming part of the construction process and there was some basic flaws in the design/layout of the map that I’d like to correct.
Time to throw out the old and bring in the new and yes that includes this thread :smile:
Thanks for the feedback

(kat) #74

ah right…! I remember you saying somewhere about being new to Q3 editing (but not level design) As for what happens in the map I didn’t want to say too much here incase I gave the game away, I’ll try and e-mail you at some point this week.

(kat) #75

demonS… I just realised, was this an actual ‘final release’ or a beta?? I’ve been coming across info related to this map in the RtCW community and they’re suggesting it’s a ‘final’?? is that correct??

(demonspawn) #76

Kat, as i eluded to in our e-mails, its time to put this puppy to sleep. There are several things that I could do to it but their aren’t any “must fix” bugs so yea, for now its final.

(ronboy) #77

Tatiana has uploaded a playthrough for Operation Evil Eye! You can watch it on my website here: http://goo.gl/KzkdU8

(ronboy) #78

Yo$hik has uploaded a playthrough for Operation Evil Eye in “extreme quality”! You can watch it on my website here: https://goo.gl/w6191B