Operation Evil Eye 23:57 hrs

(kat) #21

ghost heads?? not yet no. I’ve been trying to figure them out myself…!! (btw I managed to get the ‘custom’ book half working… still looking into it though, I’ll let you know what I can find out… may not be for while though…!

(demonspawn) #22

I just cheated with the book.
Basically I can add 3 books my way. The only thing I couldn’t figure out was how to change the hint given when you pick it up. “Dr. Zemph’s journal”. The covers and all content are easly changed.
I’m looking into animations for the priestess and the ghosts right now.
I’ll let you know what I find out.

Map on

(Ghast) #23

I think if player is a certain distance from zombie, skull attack is default. Getting an invisible zombie to send skulls at a non-player target might occur if invisible zombie sensed am invisible enemy ai there but didn’t sense player???

AI can be made invisible by just breaking the name of their skin textures in .ai file! G

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ghast on 2002-08-31 06:12 ]</font>

(kat) #24

…AI can be made invisible by just breaking the name of their skin textures in .ai file! G

I think you’d get an error doing that “can’t find texture blah blah…”, it won’t bottom the game out though…!

You’d still have the model physics to contend with as well, the zombie is still ‘solid’ so it’ll attack you in the fistycuffs and head butt fashion if you got to close.

You could script the AI up to ‘aviod’ the player - the same way it’s used on the beer-girl (“please don’t hurt me”). It’s also worth noting that the zombies do have ‘weapons’ (the skulls are one) which you can give and take the same way for the Nazis, the default attack being to headbutt and lash out at you (I don’t think this can be scripted out)

(demonspawn) #25

Yea, I think what I wanted to do won’t work.
The spirit heads are used in the final level (end), and from what I can tell they must be being triggered by the zombie there which isn’t what I was looking for.
But I did find out more about the priestess. there are some refrences to her and some of the dialog that she uses. One in paticular is a chant that is used in the final stages of summoning Heinrich. Im not sure what the animations looks like for this and I’ve lost my saves for the official game (re-installed over them :sad: )
I will add the zombie’s and see how it plays out.
Thanks for the info Ghast and Kat

Map on

(Ghast) #26

It makes sense the skull attack is a weapon! When I put the beast into a test level he started shooting machinegun fire from his hand, now it makes sense! Wasn’t there a series of postings about triggering gunfire, mortar explosions etc? This might be possible?

I put the priestess’ head on an elite body, sans cape so she would have a bigger range of animations. I too was intrigued by the character, but chose finally to make her non-tattooed! G There is a picture of her (damaged) at my site’s CAST page, didn’t post the nude version LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ghast on 2002-08-31 06:14 ]</font>

(kat) #27

to get around the problem of bumping into the invisible man you could ‘lock’ the bot behind/in a monsterclip brush box, if it was put somewhere obscure the player wouldn’t have the problem of bumping into it… it would mean the skulls appear from one direction only though…!

G: machine gun fire…!! that’d give the player a bit of a supprise…!!! hehe

monsterattack1 = fire breather
monsterattack2 = ghost weapon
monsterattack3 = fistycuffs (still not sure about this one)

(Ghast) #28

And instead of invisible, couldn’t it be scaled really small, then tucked away out of player view?

(kat) #29

On 2002-08-31 12:51, kat wrote:
to get around the problem of bumping into the invisible man you could ‘lock’ the bot behind/in a monsterclip brush box…</font>

doesn’t work to well this… I mean it works ok, the AI stays in place and ‘fire’ at you but when it dies (after you shoot at it - it wasn’t invisible in the test I did, but you could get a sense that players would fire in the general direction of where the skulls were coming from, enough bullit hits would kill the zombie) it falls thru the clipbrush and explodes on impact with the ground, not at all the desired effect…!! Back to the drawing board…

(Ghast) #30

//md3_weapon2, “acc/shield.md3”
//md3_weapon, “acc/sword.md3”

tag_head,
tag_footleft,
tag_legleft,
tag_footright,
tag_legright,
tag_lbelt,
tag_torso,
tag_bleft,
tag_bright,

u_body,models/players/zombie/zom_body6.tga

playerscale .6 // added, Ghast

This is the body_default.script I use for my pint size zombie homunculi. They are hard to target & even harder to hit. Don’t know how small you can go - .1?

(demonspawn) #31

I know this is a bit off topic but It would be cool if before you fought Heinrich he spewed a bunch of these “rotgrub” out which swarmed you. The numbers attacking might be an issue, but when they are so small you could easily lower the poly count on them to allow you to maximize their numbers.

Sorry I’ll get back to work now!

(sock) #32

Yepheee, first thread over 1 page, I know its a bit sad but still I’m happy. It takes alot to build up a forum and its nice to know a bunch of regulars are turning up here once in a while. :wink:

Anyway been busy doing a small sample map showing a bomb blast brushwork/decal example and how to use the ghosts in RTCW. I did get a bit carried away with the sample map but they don’t call me tangent man for nothing!

Link to zip file

If you have any questions about the sample map or want to tell me I’ve done it wrong and you wanted something else instead … then place your paws below.

Sock
3D Brush Monkey

(demonspawn) #33

Sock you Rock…
I’ve been trying many different thing all weekend long, a script_mover that sinks the zombie into the well with a target_kill. I won’t even get into the headache I got from that.
I’ve also found very few refrences to the High priestess, she isn’t an AI driven character only a scripted cinimatic story driver, and their way of triggering her is still beyond me. She dies and is replaced with a femzombie.

Thanks for your effort Sock and congrats on the 2 page thread, I feel honored that I was the one who started it :smile:
I know this is the first of many more to come.
I’ll be doing a download now…

Map on

(sock) #34

On 2002-09-03 02:03, demonspawn wrote:
I’ve also found very few refrences to the High priestess, she isn’t an AI driven character only a scripted cinimatic story driver, and their way of triggering her is still beyond me. She dies and is replaced with a femzombie.

The priestess is a “AI_Eliteguard” with a special skin called “priestess”. Her voice overs are scripted but she does have a weapon (a pistol I think) and will fight.

She is then changed into a “AI_Zombie” with a special skin called “femzombie”.

The trick with all AI creatures is to group them together into teams. Once they belong to the same team they do not start shooting at each other. You need to add an extra key to each AI creature. The value or team number must be unique to “that team”.

Key “aiteam”, Value [team number]

The link to a new sample map with the priestess, ghost and male/female zombies.

Sock
3D Brush Monkey

EDIT: typo heaven

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sock on 2002-09-03 10:14 ]</font>

(kat) #35

…The trick with all AI creatures is to group them together into teams. Once they belong to the same team they do not start shooting at each other. You need to add an extra key to each AI creature. The value or team number must be unique to “that team”.

Key “aiteam”, Value [team number]

I was gonna ask you about that but you’ve been pre-emptive again…! I noted that the other way to do this was from the script using the ‘ainodamage’ key, something that’s used quite alot. Using the ‘team’ key seems to make more sense to me, plus it’s easier to set up…!!

heh… it’s ironic the topic that has gone over 2 pages is about SP mapping…!!

(sock) #36

On 2002-09-03 13:37, kat wrote:
heh… it’s ironic the topic that has gone over 2 pages is about SP mapping…!!

Well keep those SP questions coming! :wink: It was nice to see a good SP thread on RTCW and everyone discussing their theories on what to do.

Sock
3D Brush Monkey

(kat) #37

sock, I noticed your placement of the ‘props_sparks’ entity in the map file but nothing shows up ingame.

I’ve had problems getting some of those effects to work and I wonder if the sparks is one of the ‘dodgy’ ones…! Do they show up when you run the level??

(demonspawn) #38

Yea I also was looking at the aiteam tag. I was thinking that there should be a way to group the team together inside the AI script so that they would function together as a unit.

Tacticle_Team_1
Guard1
stats and triggers…
Guard2
stats and triggers…
Officer1
stats and triggers…
etc…

Then you could assign specific tactics to that group with accum commands and they would function as a team in their response to situations as well as avoid damaging each other.
I’m not sure of what correlation you can have between the aiteam# key and specific actions for that team in the AI script but It would be cool if you could associate specific “team” triggers.

Thanks for the first spirit_test, I’ll be checking out test 2 in moments.

Sock you’ve already been an immense help, but their is one question that’s been stumping me every time I go to set-up a new script, and scripting is all I’m going to focus on until I get it.

What are the criteria that define what is needed in a script.script and an AI.script. when a trigger volume activates a specific sequence of events within your map?

Is there an ABC of scripting rules when dealing with specific events like
Adding dialog
Adding cameras
Adding alertentity

By rules I mean
When adding dialog…
First the engine will look in the script.script file for a call event trigger.
Second the engine will find the call event in the AI.script and activate it.
etc…

I hope I’ve explained this right, I have the problem of having an imagination that far exceeds my abilities at times. I need to get them both on the same playing field :wink:

Thanks again for all the help
Time to download…

Map on

(sock) #39

On 2002-09-03 14:33, kat wrote:
<font size=“2”>sock, I noticed your placement of the ‘props_sparks’ entity in the map file but nothing shows up ingame.
</font>

Yep it did very little for me as well, just checked with djbob and its certainly not in the MP code. Its also very hungry on EDIT: djbob NETWORK TRAFFIC! (not processor cycles) so prob best to leave it well alone. Recompiled both zips to not include the entities.

Link to spirit_test.zip - Just bomb damage and ghost sample.
Link ro spirit_test2.zip - Priestess, male/female zombies, bomb damage and ghost sample.

Sock
3D Brush Monkey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: djbob on 2002-09-03 18:14 ]</font>

(sock) #40

On 2002-09-03 17:08, demonspawn wrote:
Yea I also was looking at the aiteam tag. I was thinking that there should be a way to group the team together inside the AI script so that they would function together as a unit.

Its certainly possible to write a script that issued commands to several different AI’s at the same time but it would be very long and messy. Some AI creatures in the original game seemed to performed in groups but that is mainly because they where spawned in groups.

What are the criteria that define what is needed in a script.script and an AI.script. when a trigger volume activates a specific sequence of events within your map?

(map name).script file can be used by almost all entities in a map! The entity must still be active when the map is loaded. (eg. light entities are removed) Also been told that game items can’t have scripts connected to them but generally most entities in a map can have a spawn/trigger/death function. There is no perfect list but you can find this out with trial and error on entity types.
(map name).ai file is used for player and AI creatures and SP only.

Is there an ABC of scripting rules when dealing with specific events like
Adding dialog
Adding cameras
Adding alertentity

By rules I mean
When adding dialog…
First the engine will look in the script.script file for a call event trigger.
Second the engine will find the call event in the AI.script and activate it.
etc…

Nope and very unlikely to be one because it would take ages to write. Cacabunny from Greymatter has talked about a reference guide for RTCW scripting but has not said when it would be finished.

If I twist my bosses arm to get sticky thread setup maybe we all could write the manual in bits and post comments on commands as when we all discover them. Any thoughts on this idea ?

Sock
3D Brush Monkey
EDIT: suggestion on AI manual

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sock on 2002-09-03 18:10 ]</font>