On the subject of shotguns, I have an interesting vid for you

(watsyurdeal) #1

So in other words, the pellets do not spread out as fast as games would like you to believe. So in reality, we really should not be having any meat shotting in Dirty Bomb, really the shotguns should be like a close range sniper rifle, if all pellets connect to the head it should be a kill.

So if we say, increase the pellet count, make the shotgun spread tighter, what we might end up getting is a hipfiring close range king. Which would give Shotguns a significant niche to fill.

(Guziol) #2

Any time shotguns are closer to reality in videogames than to a “videogame-shotgun” they become more and more powerfull if not broken. And that said i’d still like less spread, more range and reasons to aim for the head. Most of the complaints ( with few exceptions ) are about cheap 1hko up close and being shit at range. I’d gladly trade that frontload damage upclose for more range reliability.

(GatoCommodore) #3

@watsyurdeal said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38a7L60SLJs

So in other words, the pellets do not spread out as fast as games would like you to believe. So in reality, we really should not be having any meat shotting in Dirty Bomb, really the shotguns should be like a close range sniper rifle, if all pellets connect to the head it should be a kill.

So if we say, increase the pellet count, make the shotgun spread tighter, what we might end up getting is a hipfiring close range king. Which would give Shotguns a significant niche to fill.

they wont, people would cry more about shotgun too OP and need nerf

Demo Ranch is an awesome channel. Shotguns are the one weapons I’ll never care about in any game. They’re impossible to balance, you can’t keep everyone happy one way or another, and they’re usually annoying to get killed by. I just learn to live with it and counter. Realistically, though, a shotgun shot at very close range should kill or severely damage all mercs in this game if we’re to base it on realism. I’d rather deal with overpowered shotguns than some inaccurate, birdshot pea shooter with no range like they are in a lot of games. Slugs would be interesting in DB.

(GatoCommodore) #5

@Wintergreen said:
Demo Ranch is an awesome channel. Shotguns are the one weapons I’ll never care about in any game. They’re impossible to balance, you can’t keep everyone happy one way or another, and they’re usually annoying to get killed by. I just learn to live with it and counter. Realistically, though, a shotgun shot at very close range should kill or severely damage all mercs in this game if we’re to base it on realism. I’d rather deal with overpowered shotguns than some inaccurate, birdshot pea shooter with no range like they are in a lot of games. Slugs would be interesting in DB.

do you know why fletcher is called “Fletcher”?

the Anhuld shot Fletch rounds

fin stabilized flechette that flies much faster and more stable with less spread
thats why its effective range is further than most.

Yep! I think it’s pretty cool how a lot of the weapons in DB (if my memory is correct, could only be a few) have ‘Fletcher Arms’ printed somewhere on their guns. Also, it drives me insane that the .40 Selbstadt, which I’m 99% positive is based off of an HK45 or USP 'cause I own one myself, is listed as a .45 cal on the side. FIX IT!

Edit, took a pic in the game:

At first I thought, okay, maybe they’re going for a VP40 or somethin’ but then I realized it’s striker fired and wasn’t in the market until after this game was released, iirc. Who knows? It bugs me to look at. It’s t-t-triggering. Also has the European mag’ release on the trigger guard… Kill me. It’s not a .40!!!

(GatoCommodore) #7

@Wintergreen i thought 45 auto, 45 ACP, 45 cal are the same…

.40s are only for spaghetti arms feddies who shoot doggo on their way out.

@GatoCommodore said:
@Wintergreen i thought 45 auto, 45 ACP, 45 cal are the same…

.40s are only for spaghetti arms feddies who shoot doggo on their way out.

Yeah, all I’m sayin’ is it bugs me that they list the Selbstadt as a .40 when the gun itself is modeled after a .45 and is even branded as such on the slide. It’s not a big deal, but an obvious lazy miscue on their part. These things stick out a lot to gun guys and I wouldn’t even consider myself an expert. Anyway, I’ll stop derailing the thread now lol.

(ostmustis) #9

you thought it had to do with realism? lul

(Sorotia) #10

I see what you’re trying to say with this video, we need a pistol that fires shotgun shells in game!

(Szakalot) #11

@watsyurdeal said:
So in reality

wait, what?

(woodchip) #12

Is this the thread where we talk about how the Revivr gun violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

Seriously: games greatly exaggerate weapon differences to help draw distinctions and contrasts between them.

However, tightening shotgun spread and lowering pellet damage is not a bad idea. I think it might be worth implementing on one of the longer ranged shotguns in order to help define the two non-remburgs as different. Could also be a design for a new shotgun, should they make one. ‘Slug’ shotgun is an unused archetype.

(GatoCommodore) #13

@woodchip said:
Is this the thread where we talk about how the Revivr gun violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

not really

(FishRolls) #14

@watsyurdeal said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38a7L60SLJs

In a lot of games want to be centered around fast close-quarters combat, which is why they have to make shotguns worse than their real-life counterparts so they don’t dominate.