Old Games - Replaying any games from your childhood?

Just wanted to take my Dev hat off for a second to start a conversation about old games you might be playing, or thinking about going back and playing.

I picked up the Thief Collection bundle off of Steam the other day for around £15 - I already had the latest game, so I got a discount off the bundle. Full price, it’s £31.99 for 4 games and a pair of DLCs for the latest game.

Thief was my first foray into stealth games and indeed, was one of the first games in its genre. It might not be for everyone - some people prefer run-and-gun shooters, but if you have the patience for a stealth exploration and/or shooter, then going back and playing the original Thief series may be your thing.

If you do feel like playing this, you will definitely need the patch to enable this game to work on modern setups up to Windows 10.

What else are you playing right now?

(Mustang) #2

Hadn’t played any childhood games for a long time, probably 7-8 years, but this year I decided to play quite a few, they’re all on the PC, haven’t gotten around the breaking out the old consoles yet, not got anywhere to set them up right now.

• Theme Hospital
  • Commander Keen
  • Jill of the Jungle
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • Motocross Madness
  • Star Wars Episode I: Racer

(Scrupus) #3

Like many I had great fun with Command and Conquer in the old days, including their try on a FPS version - Renegade! Renegade itself didn’t become a hit, but I had some great fun playing it, especially on LAN parties with friends. And recently I discovered that the mod community have developed a really good remake of the multiplayer part - RenegadeX

RenegadeX is now in open beta, it’s totally free (and will always be) - and it’s a really solid piece of work, I think it could easily be compared with commercial titles on the technical level, graphics and game mechanics are great. Very impressing for a community project!

The gameplay itself is a bit special, mostly because of Renegades unique FPS-RTS mode - it’s a bit of a base resource race, where both teams push each other, trying to get through the front line and kill the other teams resources. First one to destroy the other teams base, wins.

So each round can last for quite some time, and be a stalemate for a good while - but there are plenty of vehicles and character classes to play, and many different tactics that can be used.

It reminds me quite a bit of the endless struggles we had when playing oasis or daybreak etc on a 40 player WET server - pushing on forever, dying happily over and over, only to respawn and try pushing again. It also reminds a bit of Quakewars with all the vehicle mayhem - you get this warm fuzzy team feeling whenever you roll out of your base together with 5 other mammoth tanks, ready to roll over whatever comes in your way :slight_smile:

So I’ll recommend everyone who love big messy FPS battles to give RenegadeX a try - and especially C&C fans, who miss the good old tiberian atmosphere - “harvester under attack!!” :smiley:

https://renegade-x.com/

(Runeforce) #4

The Lucasarts catalogue up untill they started focusing exclusively on Star Wars. I still marvel at the interactive music system of Monkey Island 2 and Fate Of Atlantis. It was so far ahead of its time! I was really into the Rebel Assault and the X-wing/Tie Fighter games, as seeing that stuff was the first besides novels since the original films.
Sierra also had its share of classic adventure games with Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry etc.
Doom is always worth booting up again!

I remember being able to buy cassette tape games with original artwork for 5-10 Deutsch Marks in your local computer store.
I learned playing Poker from a strippoker game on the Commodore +4. (Yes, it used digitized images.) I remember proudly running to tell my parents that I stripped the lady in the poker game. :slight_smile: It did not turn out to be quite the jubilation that I expected. Turned out that Mom knew nothing of that game.

(Scrupus) #5

Regarding Doom, check this :slight_smile:

Regarding X-wing/Tie fighter, that’s some games I would really like to play again!

Also replayed another favorite a year ago or so - The Incredible Machine!

And downloaded Ultima Underworld a while ago, which was a great game for it’s time - perhaps the first real RPG “3D” gamel? Didn’t play it all though - mostly wanted to feel the atmosphere for a bit.

(Nail) #6

this was my intro to addictive gaming when it came out

" West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here. "

I was 30 at the time, so childhood games were all RTA

(stealth6) #7

OpenTTD (transport tycoon deluxe remake)
Two point hospital (Theme hospital remake)

(rookie1) #8

Renegade X FTW

(Mustang) #9

Love text adventures! Started to code one a couple of years ago, need to get back to that at some point. Played a bit of one last year, but nothing this year, also technically not a childhood game/genre for me as I didn’t play one until I was in my 20’s. My favourite challenge from the Ready Player One book was the Zork one as well.

One of the podcasts I listen to has done some pretty cool Christmas special episodes where they play text adventure-esque games in a D&D kind of style, pretty fun to listen to.

(Moobabe) #10

I d on’t do this very often, I think many of the games I liked don’t hold up so much any more sadly :frowning:

I did pick up Book of Demons though, which is a “Diablo-like” - seems pretty cool so far (and on discount if you own Darkest Dungeon).

(rookie1) #11

Apart Renegade X
One of my older game That I like of lot for the arsenal Variety and so much …It can only be redux one day .
is —>Project: Snowblind <-----
From Steam’s Comments :

“One of the best older FPS-games I ever played, due to the sheer number of weapons and attacks, ways to kill the enemys and deal with the missions it is nearly a sandbox game but gets really hard later on and challenges the player. Rarely had this much fun with an older FPS in recent years, worth the exploration, time and money!”

"2) Along with the above, and the addition of many game elements like alarms, being able to hack terminals and so on, you have many options for how you want to defeat your enemies. This ranges from a full on berserk attack to stealthily creeping around or hiding. Lots of air ducts to crawl through.

1. Plenty (and I do mean plenty) of weapons, additional equipment you can use and augmentations to you personally. Some of these are

-Increased vision abilities
-Spiderbots that follow you around, like the insects in Half Life, and help you out.
-EMP, poison gas, and frag grenades
-Cool shotgun, Carbine, Sniper rifle, and pistol
-Reflex augmentation that functions like the reflex boost in F.E.A.R.
-…the list goes on. This is only a very small part."

You see the type of game Old But Before his time …

(Floris) #12

Me and some friends have been playing a lot of Age of Mythology at LAN lately. It supports 12 player matches with multiple teams :slight_smile: usually we play with between 6 to 8 players though.

I really enjoyed playing Age of Mythology back in the day. It was like AoE, but with “god powers” where you could turn your enemy soldiers into pigs and exciting things like that.

I might put that back on my list.

(Mc1412013) #15

Jazz jackrabit thanks for reminding me. i forgot the name of that game

(Mc1412013) #16

Corridor7 was a game i used ro play alot i had the cd version that had a sound track with it so you listen to the ingame music on a cd player

I still remember having to type corr7cd.exe /noems noxems or the game would crash or not boot

I had a bunch of doom and wolfstein wad files. Had simpsons barney bevis and but head ones just to name a few i remember.

And i remember playing duke nukem 3d in school off a projector in the suply/storage cage in my electronics class

Other ones i had were
descent

I beta tested every version of you dont know jack including french and rusian which i just hit buttons cus i had no clue what they said
Fun fact anouncer gets agravated if you type f#ck you during gibrrish questions.

Head rush beta
I had a ton of shereware cds so i played a lot of gamea

Still have a few peices of my old 486 dx machine back when turbo buttons were a thing but every one used turbo all the time anyway.
And 66mhz was comsidered a beast of a chip

(Mustang) #17

I’ve still got all the pieces of the 386 I used to game on as a kid.
Turbo buttons felt like they were just a placebo to me, but as you say, everyone kept them always on regardless.

(Mc1412013) #18

Only time i noticed any thing was during mem testing during post

(Runeforce) #19

While not quite a quote from Colossal Cave Adventure, it made me think of Scanner Sombre. It is almost as one thought, how would a geologist make that game today?

(Nail) #21

CCA begat Zork, where the quote is from

The black & white games by lionhead studios. A shame they were closed down, I was hoping they’d release a third game someday.

Oh, and of course the classic AoE2, that one is timeless!